9th edition implications for the GK

Skywrath

So do these replace our Teleport Strike ability? Can we no longer DS in the enemy DZ on turn 2?

No, they don’t replace any unit abilities or stratagems. Just new core rules that other armies can now take advantage of.

How does is starting your purifiers in reserves with a rhino better than deepstriking in any way? It's more restrictive than using teleportarium and you are paying an extra CP and 70 extra points.

The new morale system hurts us a lot. We take significantly less losses ourselves, but morale's effect on big units is massively reduced, which is not good, and leaves us without a reliable way to counter demons comming back (I guess that's why cultists got a 50% cost increase?).

How does is starting your purifiers in reserves with a rhino better than deepstriking in any way? It's more restrictive than using teleportarium and you are paying an extra CP and 70 extra points.

The new morale system hurts us a lot. We take significantly less losses ourselves, but morale's effect on big units is massively reduced, which is not good, and leaves us without a reliable way to counter demons comming back (I guess that's why cultists got a 50% cost increase?).

its better because they aren't just plopped out in the open, with no protection, and out of range of their cleansing flame.

Yeah it'll cost a few more points, but hopefully that little extra protection and movement will mean more will survive, and possibly actually get into 3" range to use their smites.

Its still a long shot, but better than dunking a few unprotected guys 9" away from everything.

They still have to deploy more than 9" away from the enemy and can't disembark the turn they arrive, so they are just as unprotected as they are now. What makes it better than starting with the rhino on the table? I don't get what your point is.

I wouldn't say completely useless. I mean purifiers are slightly more viable now I guess. Can put them in a raider or rhino and hold them in strategic reserve. Id say that's better than using the deepstrike stratagem for them.

We could do exactly the same thing with gating Rhino. Unless they rework transport rules, I wouldn't bother outside of fun games. I really hoped that they will give at least 6" denial area instead of 9", but I'd better spend these CP on teleportarium. Or even better - conserve them for Psybolt Ammunition/Redoubtable Defence/Transhuman Physiology. 

I don't really see how new morale rules hurts us. We are MSU force. Maybe, chances of losing more models are slightly higher, but with ATSKNF we already rarely fail morale. And I never had problems with hordes - they just die to concentrated SB fire. 

Nevertheless, I dislike the change. They made morale phase even more random and even less impactful. In my meta with lots of necrons/marines and an active Tyranid and Eldar players, we often forgot that such a phase existed. I really hoped for some additional effects and received just a simple boost for hordes to compensate for blast weapons. A disappointment indeed.

New morale makes makes everyone lose less models than before, but the advantage is much bigger  for other armies, so they get a bigger buff compared to us. Before, you could kill 7 guardsmen from a 10 man squad and have a high chance of killing the unit, or killing 8 and having a 100% chance, but with the new rules that unit will most likely survive, which is a massive disadvantage.

It's even worse against bigger units, and particulatly against demons. Now, you can kill enough of the 30 plaguebearer so the unit is guaranteed to flee, preventing them from using the "daemonic incursion" stratagem, which is huge. With the new rules, you have no way to play around it and those units will come back again and again.

Of course, if cheap units become more expensive, like cultists do, and hordes receive other nerfs (blast weapons, etc), that could balance out in the end but, right now, it's pretty much a nerf for GK.

It may be a buff to hordes, but I doubt that we would feel an impact. Most horde-heavy army already had ways to bypass leadership (ld 10, Synaps, Mob Rule, Abaddon). Finally, they could just use 2 CP in critiacl situation to auto-pass the test. 

As for Chaos Daemons - are they even a problem after PA? PBs going to be nerfed even harder with -1 to-hit limitation. And now we can bring assassin/inquisition allies to finish off especially dangerous units. Take Callidus/Coteaz to deplete thier CP pull. 

And yes, hordes are going to cost more and now vulnerable to blast weapons. The change is very meh. 

Units with Fly keyword can no longer Fall Back and shoot. Generally good for GK, since we have hardly any Fly units (Stormraven, pretty much).

4OVO2A9WcsE.jpg

Patrol is 2 CP. Meh.

So am I seeing this right.

We'll start off with a certain number of CP based on game size and then it'll cost us CP to have certain detachments?

4OVO2A9WcsE.jpg

Patrol is 2 CP. Meh.

So am I seeing this right.

We'll start off with a certain number of CP based on game size and then it'll cost us CP to have certain detachments?

Correct. All detachments will cost CP but whichever one your Warlord is in will be free. Or more accurately, will have the CPs refunded to you. Edited by Holier Than Thou

Remember spending cp on detachments isn't really that bad. We automatically get additional cp each turn.

2 CP is one less psybolt ammunition, one less redoubtablel defence, one less trans-human physiology, two less critical rerolls, one less taken relic, etc. etc. This is a lot more than it seems.

Remember spending cp on detachments isn't really that bad. We automatically get additional cp each turn.

2 CP is one less psybolt ammunition, one less redoubtablel defence, one less trans-human physiology, two less critical rerolls, one less taken relic, etc. etc. This is a lot more than it seems.

That’s the opportunity cost for taking a second detachment, and getting an expanded FOC. If you’re happy with a Battalion, then no worries.

Battalion is free, the other small detachments probably cost 1 CP, maybe 2, so we are going to play with 10-12 CP +2/turn. We have 13 +1/turn now (being forced to take 4 HQs and 6 troops), so we get the same number of CP by turn 2-3, or turn 1 if we only use a battalion, so the difference is not big. Considering some armies have access to 15-18 CP now and will be nerfed in that regard, I'd say we will do as good or better than we do now when it comes to CP