So, what's the point of assault Intercessors?

Irbis

I hope they get the bodyguard keyword and maybe a thing like reroll to hit in first melee phase ... 

That would be the perfect rule for them in a black Templar list. ( but I could image that they get reroll charges what makes the ct irrelevant)

Supposed points value leaks put Assault Intercessors at 19 (the Sergeant would be 24 if he's equipped with a plasma pistol) as opposed to the Intercessors' 20. So, looking to shave a couple of points off your troops might be a good reason to pick 'em up if you're not a melee enthusiast.

Bladeguard don't have a bodyguard rule (boo!), but they do have 3 wounds, 3 attacks, and +1S for their swords. Storm shields now give a 2+/4++ instead of a 3++, which isn't as good, but with 3 wounds they'll still be very tanky. 35 points per model puts them probably right around the same price as Sanguinary Guard, post-9e-point-hike, and if anything they're beefier.

With a fixed squad size of 3, it'll be hard to build a list around these guys though. I'm hoping that changes to 3-6 once they have a real codex entry.

Bladeguard don't have a bodyguard rule (boo!), but they do have 3 wounds, 3 attacks, and +1S for their swords. Storm shields now give a 2+/4++ instead of a 3++, which isn't as good, but with 3 wounds they'll still be very tanky. 35 points per model puts them probably right around the same price as Sanguinary Guard, post-9e-point-hike, and if anything they're beefier.

With a fixed squad size of 3, it'll be hard to build a list around these guys though. I'm hoping that changes to 3-6 once they have a real codex entry.

Storm shields are now actually better against AP 0 and -1 weapons though.

Terminators have a 2+ save against -1 ap, which is actually pretty good. At -2, they become a 3+ save.... still good. At -3 you hit the sweat spot, you’ve pushed them onto their shields invulnerable save. Anything stronger now does nothing extra. So this makes ap -3 just as good as -4 or higher weapons, but makes ap -1 weapons just as weak against them. Put the terminators into cover for more results.

But, if storm shields can change...... so can terminator armor? What if it’s no longer a 5++

:facepalm:

welp looks like I was right, just AP -1 on the chainswords so they manage to be objectively worse picks than Auto Bolters for consistently throwing out S4 hits at the enemy. Feels like this edition is going to gunline even harder than 8th.

:facepalm:

welp looks like I was right, just AP -1 on the chainswords so they manage to be objectively worse picks than Auto Bolters for consistently throwing out S4 hits at the enemy. Feels like this edition is going to gunline even harder than 8th.

Without taking army support into account:

5 Auto Bolters throws 15 AP 0 shots down range, then you can charge in and melee for another 16 AP 0 hits on your turn. That's 31 AP 0 hits in total.

5 Chainswords nets you 5 AP -1 bolter shots down range, followed by 21 AP -1 swings in melee. Grand total of 26 with AP -1.

Now here's the sneaky bit. The Auto Bolters can get AP -1, and the fists can get AP -1, but rarely in the same turn. However, the pistols and sword can both get AP -2 in the same turn easily. In addition, if you can lock what your fighting in melee, the chainswords edge out the Auto Bolters in number of attacks too.

I wouldn't say it's cut and dry. Some chapters will get great use out of these guys. And the support with characters and tactics/strats can sway either unit into being domenant damage wise.

The leaked datasheet has no wargear options for the Assault Intercessors, and no sergeant hammers means regular Intercessors edge them out even as a melee threat. Bummer.

I figure they'll probably get the option in a multipart kit or new codex, but for now, they don't quite have a niche.

The leaked datasheet has no wargear options for the Assault Intercessors, and no sergeant hammers means regular Intercessors edge them out even as a melee threat. Bummer.

I figure they'll probably get the option in a multipart kit or new codex, but for now, they don't quite have a niche.

And the datasheet had to leak after I built my Assault Intercessor Sergeant with power fist. :teehee:

How do shield changes make Cataphractii better? Because nobody can beat their 4++ now, only equal it? Assault Terminators are still tougher because they have a 1+/4++.

And the datasheet had to leak after I built my Assault Intercessor Sergeant with power fist. :teehee:

I wouldn't panic until we see the datasheet that comes with the multipart rather than push fit kit. Bear in mind that the datasheets in Dark Imperium were more restrictive than those you actually ended up with.

As I expected the Assault Intercessors are overall inferior for chapters that focus on shooting, but very good in the hands of the Blood Angels, BT, SW, etc. Edited by Ishagu

I wouldn't panic until we see the datasheet that comes with the multipart rather than push fit kit. Bear in mind that the datasheets in Dark Imperium were more restrictive than those you actually ended up with.

Yeah I'm sure they will not be more restricted in melee weapons than their shooting counterparts! The fist is staying on don't worry. :wink:

I'm more curious to see if they'll get any mobility option rather than different weapon options. If these are supposed to be the Assault Squad 2.0, I'd expect the Astrates to still strap jet engines to their backs so they can hit enemies faster with their swords. Otherwise the entire development of military tactics, equipment and tech is even more messed up in the Imperium than I thought.

I'm more curious to see if they'll get any mobility option rather than different weapon options. If these are supposed to be the Assault Squad 2.0, I'd expect the Astrates to still strap jet engines to their backs so they can hit enemies faster with their swords. Otherwise the entire development of military tactics, equipment and tech is even more messed up in the Imperium than I thought.

I'd say Reivers are the Assault Squad 2.0.

The Assault Intercessors are something that didn't exist before since they are actually Troops/Battleline and as such something like Transports and Strategic Reserves should be enough.

I think, the AIs are more akin to Assault Squads in 30k. There they are just that basic blob of footslogging infantry with chainswords, right? You can upgrade them to jump infantry, but they arent per say.

Reivers as Assault Squad 2.0? Interesting, never considered that. How strange of me...

I think, the AIs are more akin to Assault Squads in 30k. There they are just that basic blob of footslogging infantry with chainswords, right? You can upgrade them to jump infantry, but they arent per say.

Reivers as Assault Squad 2.0? Interesting, never considered that. How strange of me...

In 30k, a bolt pistol/chainsword despoiler squad is a variant of the tactical marine.

An assault squad is always equipped with a jump pack and is separate.

This is closer to 30k though, as AI are a variant of Intercessor in the same way a despoiler is a variant of tactical marine.

I find it unlikely that the Assault Intercessors will ever get any type of movement option simply due to the fact that they're Troops and not Fast Attack.

At least if they were Fast Attack you could draw similar conclusions to an Assault Squad; which sits in Fast Attack whether they have jump packs or not.