9th Ed Considerations for AdMech

Prot

No this isn't new information, but since they gave us '9 things to like about 9th edition', I started thinking about anything that helps or at least affects us in some way.

Command Points: 

- We know they are a 'flat rate'. Can you manipulate this pre-game by list design? They didn't say so, and I'm assuming they are trying to kill the issue of some armies getting Brig-alions too easily (I'm talking to you my stinky Genestealer Cult friend.) 

- Vanguard and Rangers have been suspect troops, but pretty darn mandatory in a multi-battalion list build. I think flat rate CP helps us more than hurts us. We may not benefit as much as say... Custodes, but I for one am looking forward to not having easy "Kill" and "Kill More" for competitive play.

Big Guns Never Tire:

- We know "tanks" will be able to fire into close combat. There's a lot that's good about this for us. BUT if it happens to extend to bigger robot type units like Kastelan that could be a big break we're waiting for. 

Terrain:

-"Line of Sight". True? Who knows, but the idea of expanding and going back to a stronger focus on terrain seemed to be something they mentioned a few times, especially regarding close combat units trying to get up the board. This could be pretty scary for AdMech. If these new rules advocate those speedy type assault lists, this might encourage more bad match ups for us!(?)  

Hordes, and Indirect:

- There is mention of tanks, or big guns being a lot better at mowing down massed infantry. While they didn't specifically mention "templates" or who benefits, they did use the term "maximizing number of hits".  So I have to think this would pertain to a number of Admech units.

Flyers:

- We get the copter just in time. We assume this will benefit from the appropriate rules in 9th. But if so it seems like they're trying to expand on flyer bombing runs, and coming back....to repeat the run? Does this refer to previous editions to leave the table? I'm not sure, but at least we might be able to participate in it.

Anyone have anything to add? I'm sure I've missed some stuff. I haven't gone back to re listen to it, but I right away keyed on the above points for Admech.

I'm wondering if they won't make CP generated on spread of troops chosen. I'm sure they want to make all troop types relevant, for both sales and to keep the game fresh, per say. So, for instance, a base amount of CP, and then extra CP directly related to how you choose your troops; more variety = more CP?

Kill and kill more are ITC things, not "competitive", but tournament. I'm not sure they'll care about that much at all as ITC 40K is it's own homebrew. I could see them, however, adding some sort of tournament guidelines as they've taken on some new personnel that have that kind of experience.

Your other points are vey well taken. It looks like we'll definitely get some love with being able to shoot in melee with our vehicles. That being said, we'll probably still have to fire at the unit in close combat with us... so tagging our vehicles in CC will still be a good tactic and hard to deal with.

I agree regarding terrain. I wonder how the new terrain rules will impact our play style.

As far as hordes, I always felt we had a lot of good ways to deal with large units. From Robots, to Icarus, to transport dakka. Will we find some "blast" guns on our neutronagers? Will some of the never played onager builds get access to horde killing "template" weapons?

I think that the flyers will leave the table, maybe not being able to hover, unless it's obviously a hovercraft of some sort. I think the jets/planes will zoom off the table, only to return from the same edge, or maybe even a different edge.

I'm excited that's for sure. The above is all my own opinion/guesswork. 

- TANKS -

I really hope the tank thing is actually "you can shoot, but NOT at the unit in combat with you". It makes no sense to me for a turret mounted tank weapon to be able to fire at things clambering on the tank, but makes much more sense for the tank to just ignore whats attacking it and keep firing at distance, relying on infantry support to clear them gribblies.

Either way this is a welcome change and stops things like the skorpius being shut down - in fact becase of our 'ignore movement penalites' rule pretty much across the board on our vehicles - It may be that we are one of the only armies out there who can have our vehicles charged and have zero consequence (we can stay in combat and shoot still, or fall back and shoot with no penalty for moving and firing)

- CP -

CP will be interesting - so far it seems to be an 'everyone gets more!' approach, but if this is actually 'everyone gets the same' that's good.

Rewards for army builds should still be there in some form for me but id like to see this tailored on army by army basis (e.g. A custodes 'batallion' equivalent  is not the same as a guard 'batallion')

But along with that, troops still need a role other than CP farm - and maybe this will tie in with new terrain rules also (e.g. only 'troops' types can take/hold buildings and objectives).

- TERRAIN - 

New terrain rules are very welcome, despite the fact we are a primarily shooty army so you'd think this would hurt us.

However whilst good terrain might mean other armies assault units getting across the board better - which as a wolves player as well as admech is REALLY needed - im hoping there's also ways to utilise terrain to counter this - e.g. there's mention of being able to 'take and hold' a building with troops - if that gives those troops bonus to overwatch or bonuses in combat against whats charging them that could be cool and help mitigate assault armies.

BLAST WEAPONS

I doubt we'll see templates back, but rather one of two things

1. some weapons will have a staggered 'hits' profile for wether the unit is 1-10, 11-20, 21-30  (e.g. 1d6/2d6/3d6)

2. there will be a 'large blast' keyword which does much the same thing

I don't think this will help admech too much as were already pretty good at antihorde, although its a welcome change for those knight players out there id imagine.

The one thing I do wish theyd address with this though is having blast weapons affect multiple units if they are castled up. Cos whilst its good that your vindicator can know actually kill some termaguants - it still makes little sense why it isnt tearing apart those 4 squads of marines all bunched up around their chapter master.

FLYERS

I've still never used a flyer since they were added in 6th, so cant really comment there 

TIMING

One thing people haven't mentioned is timing, and what we may see a slight benefit is that out PA release is coming very close to 9th - which hopefully means any new rules were getting are really written with 9th ed in mind - I know GW are saying all the PA releases were written with this in mind, ours at least may be written after theyve actually had some of 9th decided on.

But yeah generally positive stuff it seems!

Edited by DanPesci

The tank rule change is definitely a welcome change, I agree that you should be able to hit targets further away but not the ones that are in CC. Also if the CC attacking troops are protected from being fired at it still allows CC armies protection, just not your backfield units. You would still need to fall back and stop shooting if you didn't want to loose the tank and kill the attacking force but you can also choose to stay connected for that last turn of fire before loosing the tank.

Perhaps we need a vehicle weapon classification that dictates what can fire into units that are in combat with the model?

I think the Blast weapons will just be a simple tag on the end of a weapon description like it was in 7th, just giving us the 6 out of D6. I would like weapons such as Volkite and maybe Phosphor to have this tag.

While it would be amazing to get rewritten IA books giving us the mechanical monstrosities from Forgeworld, and I'd definitely spend far too much on some Ursarax's.

We know GW is rewriting the HH books to give access to the 30k units, but I doubt we'll see them soon, probably midway into 9th at best.

CP is based on points and game size not detachment type so a battalion does not generate CP. A set point level gives both players the same CP but if you bring more than one detachment you pay CP for each additional detachment. At least this is how it was explained to me 

There is talk that horde units for blast are 11+ due to some snippets in the new PA book that has been shown but if this is the trigger point for a horde or just a graduated step wasn't known.

The 11+ for horde might be from the previewed tradition in Engine War. Guardian of the Frontier grants +1A when in melee with a unit of 11+ models.

This would also make sense to drop marine and guard units at full strength from that distinction.