Engine War: Chaos Knights Rules Preview

Prot

Check out the full article here:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/05/27/new-rules-for-chaos-knights/

Essentially it comes down to taking your "Household" Knight and declaring a House. Confusing? Yes, but basically since you can only be one of two Households, those further seem to open up Houses to belong to.

rY5Xd8p9F0Fxx4FO.jpg

So far I just like having the option to put my Wardogs in outflank. 

However it is interesting to note that 9th edition promises us a Command Point ability to put things in reserves (perhaps not outflank).

Anything tickle your fancy?

So far I just like having the option to put my Wardogs in outflank. 

However it is interesting to note that 9th edition promises us a Command Point ability to put things in reserves (perhaps not outflank).

It makes me wonder how the 9th edition strategic reserves will work. They seemed to indicate that you can pay CP for a unit to go into reserves and outflank - maybe each of those has a separate CP cost (e.g. 1CP to reserve, 1CP to outflank), so this stratagem is essentially a discount on that?

I only have a single Chaos Knight (inherited in a big second hand trade deal), but the recent Codex and these updates have me seriously contemplating a full army of them.

Here we go guys.... some full reveals from Auspex Tactics on the Chaos Knights including the full Dread Household Rules, and traits/strats/ and other buffs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tUepPipeUg

I will be taking 

Herpetrax: (Iconoclast only)

Bond: +2 wounds on your knights (+1 on War Dogs).

^This is basically free if I understand it.

Warlord Trait: If you don't explode, roll a D6 and on a 4+ you get up with D3 wounds. (D3 kinda of sucks, but you know what.... I think the Chaos Knight warlord traits out of the main book have been very 'meh'. so I'll take it.)

Artefact: Crown of Jedathra: -1 to hit melee. Probably won't take this.... but not horrible.

Herpetrax Strat: 1 CP Warping Aura - on a 4+ cause a mortal wound to each - unit- within 1". Can't see using this unless I absolutely came within 1 wound of killing a very  powerful target (IE: another Knight.)

I'm going to use it tonight in a game  on my Tyrant. 

Edited by Prot

• 4 weeks later...

What are people's thoughts on a pure knight list? The CP hit for taking a mixed list looks a hard pass to me so can a pure CK list work?

I currently have a DG army but am looking for something else to build for 9th. I could go Primaris as I've got a bunch in boxes still but no enthusiasm to follow the herd of marine players right now so I'm hunting for a new army.

It's honestly tough for me because i had planned castigator and armiger army going backed by R&H chaff but i liked the theme of it more than just a CP battery. Now they'll be a CP loss for me which is a weird spot. I'll have to see how the missions shake out because a pure knight army was never that interesting to me personally. Im kind of a hobby first guy anyways so it's not stopping me or anything.

It’s really tough to say. We know of positive Knight changes, such as being able to attack things not on the ground floor. And blast weapons. However, points are going up and we don’t know the missions. 

I think we’ll know more after the weekend. 

I have a lot of Chaos knights I’ve been slowly amassing and painting my chaos knight collection so I’m very curious. But I do like mixing them with chaos space marines which apparently got a lot tougher!

Well, regarding cp, there will be no more cp batteries in 9th. If I understood the new detachment rules correctly, you gain a max amount of 12 cp and every single detachment after your "warlord detachment" costs cp instead of giving you any. That way the new cp rules are buff to all Knights armies.

I plan on running all Knights in 9th, although in casual games most people tend to avoid playing against Knights. It´s the same in 30k. But I own the machines, I built the machines and I´m actually painting them, therefore I want to play them too. Even if tournaments will be the only way to play them.