Where to go from here.

Howdy folks! I've always been interested in Admech and during the lockdown I've taken the plunge (all the super sweet new models being previewed had nothing to do with it!). I've built everything I had on hand. I've picked up a few boxes here and there.

So far I have:

Cawl

15 Rangers

5 Vanguard

1 Dominus

1 Fully magnetized Knight

If I make the Knight a maxed out Crusader with a battle cannon and carapace weapon it clocks in at 999 points as I have them kitted out.

I know it's not a very balanced force, but it's a start!

Aside from the new stuff, what would you guys recommend to flesh it out? With 9th around the corner who knows what's going to happen, but is there anything you all think is a quasi safe bet?

Thanks in advance!

Fulgurites for a combat punch - they can only get better

Skorpius as it can be built as a transport or as a tank and both gun options are good and can also be swapped out easily

Manipulus - boosts movement or range and has some nice weapons himself

Any of those really are safe options for 9th. 

I think Manipulus and Enginseer (cheap) to give you more flexibility for the HQ slot.

Skorpius tanks and transports are both solid options as well as Onagers. Weapons can easily be magnetized and swapped if neccessary for 9th.

Other than that everything is just wild guessing. At the moment there is no realy bad unit. Maybe Ruststalkers, but even they got kind of cheap so they are not as horrible as they used to be.

So my suggestion for now (will most likely not change for next edition):

If not going competative, get what youl like most.

If going competative, no one can say yet. Most likely you need a new army every codex release...

So my suggestion for now (will most likely not change for next edition):

If not going competative, get what youl like most.

If going competative, no one can say yet. Most likely you need a new army every codex release...

^ A very important point.

One other thing to consider is potential synergy.  As rules are now, Cawl gives rerolls for hits in the shooting phase.  If you wanted to go further down this route, I would consider more ranged options.  The options people described above - Skorpius, Onager - could be options. 

One thing that will matter is how do you like to play?  Right now, I like Kastellan Robots firepower, but I like having mobility and not having to change into different protocols.

I would suggest picking up the new start collecting box. It’s got a Scorpius, more troops either vanguard or rangers, and a tech priest enginseer.

When people say competitive play, they mean tournament or tournament style gaming. These are hyper Efficient lists that make use of the most powerful or synergistic units in an army. Often times People term this style of tournament play to be win at all costs. I’ve had amazing experiences playing tournaments, as well as pretty bad experiences on coming up against a net list that’s over powered, think iron hands before the Nerf.

Most people base their recommendations off of tournament play for ITC missions, which aren’t even really 40 K it’s more of a homebrew for tournament. That being said, it looks like tournament and “competitive” play will be something this new addition moves towards. I am actually very interested in seeing how they make this, hopefully it will be more balanced and allow a greater representation of units to be fielded. Some of the people who assisted in making the new missions for 9th are involved with ITC, apparently, so a look at that style of play is still worth it.

What does all this mean? Well I would take a look at goon hammer articles about Ad Mech, choose some of those suggested units as a core part of your army, you already have a lot of those it looks like. And then I’d pick some stuff that you enjoy. I think some of the most fun I’ve had at our most recent tournament was just trying new units that weren’t necessarily considered competitive. In the end, it’s the game you want to play with the group you are with.

And you may be a veteran already, so you may already know all that stuff. Still I think a good core of troops, coupled with some damage dealers is always a safe bet.