9th Edition: Reflections and Predictions for AM

Just saying the most shocking points increase is Wyrdvane Psykers going up to 8pts. This means they are now overcosted...... by 6 pts

:lol: :lol: :lol:

This is true

Although cheap psyker spam for objectives still seems achievable

Edit

Ps for any Mordian commanded I've started this thread to discuss the impact to our RD

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/365097-mordian-doctrine-alternatives-for-9th/

Edited by duz_

Just saying the most shocking points increase is Wyrdvane Psykers going up to 8pts. This means they are now overcosted...... by 6 pts

I'm not sure they are over costed now. I think making their weapon mandatory is appropriate. I'd always thought that being able to take them without the staff was a bit cheesy. Not to say that I didn't fully enjoy the cheese...

Not sure about Chimeras yet...it may well be that they become more of me necessity again with the new rules. It's likely we'll have less troops on the field for the most part so keeping them safe may become more of a priority.

A Chimera with 2 Heavy Flamers is 95 points (a Hellhound with 1 Heavy Flamer + Inferno Cannon is 115 pts...) and can flame whatever's engaging it. 

I for one welcome our new flametank overlords.

15 point heavy bolters are a huge tax on a lot of vehicles. Interesting choice now with the vehicle heavy flamer also at 15 points. A tallarn tank commander could get a first turn triple heavy flamer salvo off now by advancing and using get around behind them, and also double firing the turret with the vigilus stratagem. With 18 hits from hail of fire that could really toast some T5 vehicles like venoms or mek guns.

If that was the case I don't think we would have gotten any FW-points.

But there's plenty of units that need 9-ed fix, so i'd hold for a while before making any conclusions

Edited by Shamansky

Just looking at special weapon points including DROPS - infantry squad special weapons have done really well.

• Plasma Gun down 2pts (now 5pts) - 10pts for BS3+
  • Melta Gun down 5pts (now 5 pts) - 10pts for BS3+
  • Flamer down 2 pts (now 5pts)
  • Sniper Rifle unchanged (2pts)
  • Grenade Launcher went up 2 pts (now 5pts)

This is interesting, both for infantry squads and also special weapon squads.

I tend to think of infantry squads as either static (with a Heavy Weapon+ranged special weapon) or mobile (with a special weapon). The mobile side of this have come off really well. Tallarn ability in particular layers across this. 55pts for a melta gun infantry squad, essentially walking around with lascannon stats, in a more dense board terrain meta has real potential to be useful. It certainly is a threat, and so pulls fire

Yeah, throwing in a Melta is now super-affordable. I've been running my squads mostly as barebone Lasguns, but that much firepower for such a small cost is pretty amazing. Shame about the Grenade Launchers, they actually had a place at 3p.

Even a full special weapons squads jumping out of a chimera might be a viable thing now. 65p for 3 Meltas if I'm not mistaken? Hello!

Edited by sairence

Part of me wants to say "F in the chat for our Grenade Launchers, they used to be rubbish but at least they where cheap rubbish", and they're probably an inferior choice over Melta/Plasma/Flamers most of the time, but they might still have a decent trick up their sleeve with the new Blast-rules: 6 automatic shots vs large units outshines FRFSRF, even within 12".

This goes for special weapons in regular Infantry Squads. I'd never put Grenade Launchers in Special Weapon Squads. 

Edit:

Even a full special weapons squads jumping out of a chimera might be a viable thing now. 65p for 3 Meltas if I'm not mistaken? Hello!

A Special Weapons Squad with 3x Meltaguns is 45 pts with the update. :thumbsup: 

Edited by Minsc

So after looking trow all the Points and Rules there are some things i don't understand why GW did this.

Commissars are useless now(again:rolleyes:)

The Major price hike one the Heavy Bolter makes all of our Vehicals pretty expensive as the hull itself goes up as well.

The Heavy Bolter needed a buff or a complet statline change, no doubeling in cost.

Mordias are now even deather as they where before

Guard Character on Foot are now more or less easy kills even without Snipers as the only thing that keep them alive was the Character Rule, which is now easy to bypass

Baneblades are now more or less Removed from the Game, as you have to pay 6CP for the Superheavy Detachment and the Points for 3 of this still Useless but Cool Looking Tanks.

Some Points seem just random

the Plasma Cannon cost 20P but the Executioner Plasmacannon cost only 15P, for four times the Shoots...

Guard will suffer with almost every Secondary as almost everyone is killpoints 

Edited by domsto

After reading the AM FAQ, am I right in understanding that only the Leman Russ gun to get the Blast ability is the Demolisher Cannon?

No. We already saw the list of Blast weapons from the rulebook previewed. Why the Demolisher specifically was mentioned in the FAQ I don't know.

As for secondaries...I may have misunderstood, but I thought you can't take multiple kill-objectives and can only take one from each category.

Edited by sairence

Guard Character on Foot are now more or less easy kills even without Snipers as the only thing that keep them alive was the Character Rule, which is now easy to bypass

Vox-casters are actually useful now because officers can't be the center of a web of guard squads if you want to keep the officer safe.

After reading the AM FAQ, am I right in understanding that only the Leman Russ gun to get the Blast ability is the Demolisher Cannon?

No. We already saw the list of Blast weapons from the rulebook previewed. Why the Demolisher specifically was mentioned in the FAQ I don't know.

Demolisher cannon was already in the FAQ because of it's previous change; it was specifically mentioned so that regardless of where one looks the demolisher cannon is explicitly a blast weapon.

Do the Moral phase rules "model is removed from play and counts as having been destroyed, but it never triggers any rules that are used when a model is destroyed" mean that those models cannot be returned by a medic?

Edited by Shamansky