Does anyone else wish the new Primaris tanks were treaded?

I realize of course, that there are tons of reasons for GW wanting them to be hover-tanks. They look more distinctive, it gives them a reason to release a whole new lineup of vehicles, it separates them more firmly from their marine counterparts, ect.

But every time I look at my Repulsor Tanks, and every time I think about buying an Executioner, I can't help but genuinely go "meh". I don't like the hover-tank *look*, and it's yet more annoying that to convert these vehicles is a level of work which I will admit, I'd rather not do, lol. I love tanks, and no, that doesn't mean I like Imperial Guard Tanks, which are functionally as smartly put together as a World War 1 vehicle, with turrets that are so small they couldn't fit the gunner on top in, as well as the breach for the main gun.

Not making this to complain or anything, I'm just curious if I'm the only one out here who really doesn't dig the whole hover-tanks thing they've decided to move ahead with.

I'm looking forward to the new "not a land speeder" they're coming out with. That looks super cool to me, I'd love to have a ton of those, but I'm more specifically referencing the role of APC, Armoured Fighting Vehicles, and Battle Tanks.

I, too, prefer other Vehicles to the Primaris tanks.  And I don't like the look of their Dreadnought much, either.  The Warsuit, I quite like actually though.  I look forward to the other things previewed, like the Primaris Bikes have got my meta hyped up, we're comparing them to the one from Akira.

I've actually been thinking of a purely Firstborn/Oldmarine list Combat Patrol just with Vehicles and things like Thunderfire Cannons, actually.

Not really.

I like the design aesthetic of the new anti-grav.

However the fanbase obsession that all Primaris vehicles be anti-grav I could do without. I'm glad the new bikes have wheels.

The new Not Speeder looks like it's based on the Impulsor chassis. Which will be weird if it's faster.

I'm psyched for the new units.

Nope. I’ll take Fly on any day over treads. Not that my Infantry need vehicles but I feel I’m going to be a big fan of Impulsors and Assault Intercessors.

Yep, definitely. My gripes with the lore aside, the reality that there are no Primaris Rhinos/Predators/Land Raiders is actually one of the hardest things for me to take about the new range.

For all practical purposes the Repulsor is a Primaris Land Raider plus. I wish the Impulsor fit 10 Intercessors so there’s a gripe there so maybe I compare it more to a Razorback ... and I believe while the Elimnator is a deadly tank it looks like more Primaris tanks (and Land Speeders?) are in the queue.

Nope, the second I saw the hovering Repulsor I knew what the army had been missing in terms of Aesthetic.

Not only are they more distinctive, they actually look more realistically functional lol. Yes that sounds crazy, but a hover tank makes more sense than a vehicle with 2 inches of ground clearance that's supposed to go off-road.

@Marshall Loss

The Repulsor is a Landraider. The Impulsor is Rhino/Razorback.

The similarity in looks and function annot be denied.

I think the "stuck in time" tech for the imperium was important as a cornerstone of the Imperial way of life. I really wish the old guard of the Imperium was putting up a fight to defend the tradition that carried humanity for 40000 years. I feel robbed of a good old fashioned civil war. Grav tanks should not have machine spirits in my opinion. Used to be only ponsey space elves had overpowered floating tanks. Whippersnappers. Hrumph.

Seriously, repulsors and impusors are ace on the table top. Cool models too!

I prefer the look of the treaded tanks. The anti-gravity plates on the Impulsor and Repulsor tanks look pretty terrible in my opinion. I don't mind the rest of the design, as they do fit the established Space Marine aesthetic, but they'd look much better with treads in my opinion. (I also don't think it makes much sense to have a weapons platform like a tank that isn't stablized securely to the ground, and has no apparent way to land without damaging its own anti-grav tech.)

That said, I haven't really got a cat in this race, considering I primarily play chaos factions, so I'll still be sticking with my snowplow tanks.

Edited by Kite Senet

Me thinks, some of you all are confusing the heavy gravity rock crushing leaving bloodied bodies with the power of a black hole as it passes over tech of Cawl with the weedie bone fragile need a spirit stone for protection anti-gravity of the Eldar :)

Yeah treads look cool ;)

(I'll keep my Fly rule though thank you)

I like the fact that marine vehicles are further sepperated from guard vehicles now by the former having repulsor tech, while guard tanks are treaded. The Repulsor etc also feel more modern, compared to the more old school style tanks of the guard. Repulsor tech is also different still from the pure antigrav that the custodes employ.

Honestly, no I don't think they should be on treads in all honesty. Being a brutal vehicle that punches the ground to stay afloat is about as "Imperium" as you can get other than also making it a church.

That's not to say I don't have a soft spot for tracked tanks, I'm a massive fan of the Land Raider Crusader for example, but I feel that the Rhino and Land Raider were being spread across too many factions and seperating the Marines further from the Sisters, Custodes, Inquisition, and the Other Sisters (the bald ones who keep throwing gang signs) would help them a lot as a faction. 

Plus I don't know about anyone else but I can basically build Rhinos in my sleep now. Having something new to work on is a nice change of pace.

Not in general. I do think the Land Raider looks better than the Repulsor, but I can easily do without anything with the Rhino chassis (well maybe except for the Vindicator ^^). Threads definitely aren't a big enough reason for me to prefer the one or the other and while FLY is currently overly useful that could change with any edition so isn't a factor for me to prefer one or the other either.

I just wish GW would double down on their initial idea of Repulsor tech not actually being anti-grav but instead pounding the ground very hard. Don't let them move over friendly units and give them a rule to potentially deal damage while moving over enemy units.

I like the fact that marine vehicles are further sepperated from guard vehicles now by the former having repulsor tech, while guard tanks are treaded. The Repulsor etc also feel more modern, compared to the more old school style tanks of the guard. Repulsor tech is also different still from the pure antigrav that the custodes employ.

The only problem is, I know I may catch some flak for this, but Guard vehicles look like :cuss. The closest thing to reasonable looking are the Bane Blades.

They're badly designed. At least with the Marine vehicles, even if they're grossly too tall, they at least have the semblance of what almost everyone learned from World War II alone in terms of their designed. I wouldn't mind the Repulsor / Executioner even if they had treads on them, I think they'd look like proper tanks.

Certainly the most proper tanks that GW's ever made, as Guard Tanks and even older marine tanks, just aren't really that... well, they're not really good tanks.

I like the classical style more too. But the main aspect what really hurt is that silly amount of weapons on them.

In the old days after one reading I learned what weapons my tank has. Now I have to read all the time so that I am not forget any of those shots. And for the game itself, this firepower is not good.

I like the classical style more too. But the main aspect what really hurt is that silly amount of weapons on them.

In the old days after one reading I learned what weapons my tank has. Now I have to read all the time so that I am not forget any of those shots. And for the game itself, this firepower is not good.

It's not particularly complicated. Lots of the weapons are in multiples.

As for the firepower not being good for the game? Repulsors aren't a particularly competitive unit so it clearly isn't an issue. They need something more to make them worthwhile outside of Iron Hands damage reduction.

Maybe the outflanking mechanic in 9th will help them.

Edit: Typo

Edited by Ishagu

Yep, definitely. My gripes with the lore aside, the reality that there are no Primaris Rhinos/Predators/Land Raiders is actually one of the hardest things for me to take about the new range.

For all practical purposes the Repulsor is a Primaris Land Raider plus. I wish the Impulsor fit 10 Intercessors so there’s a gripe there so maybe I compare it more to a Razorback ... and I believe while the Elimnator is a deadly tank it looks like more Primaris tanks (and Land Speeders?) are in the queue.

@Marshall Loss

The Repulsor is a Landraider. The Impulsor is Rhino/Razorback.

The similarity in looks and function annot be denied.

Similar, yes. The same, indisputably not. I don't care whether they fill the same role or not because I'm not evaluating the models on whether they are better or worse than Rhinos/Predators/Land Raiders on the tabletop. The Impulsor looks like a Rhino had intimate relations with a pickup truck and a speeder, and the Repulsor has the distinct appearance of a vehicle that was designed by a three year old with a penchant for for placing too many guns on a tank. The treaded, brutal look of the OG vehicles is why I like them so much. This wouldn't be an issue if Primaris could ride in the original vehicles.

Edited by Marshal Loss

Well they aren't going to be exactly the same model, obviously.

They are respectful to some older visual designs whilst modernising the look and function, and further distinguishing the Marines from the general Imperium forces.

Well they aren't going to be exactly the same model, obviously.

Obviously, which is precisely why Primaris should be able to ride in normal transports

They are respectful to some older visual designs whilst modernising the look and function, and further distinguishing the Marines from the general Imperium forces.

VdiyxgT.png

To me, one looks ridiculous while the other one looks like a classic. But I get that some people like it, so to each their own. But hey at least when 9th edition kills 40k because of secondary objectives nothing will matter anyway right

Edited by Marshal Loss