Thoughts on Prepping for 9e

Dracos

Assuming you run a 10 man squad, and assuming they're in a line because of a trench terrain feature, you're only going to have a problem if you try and max out that 2" coherency. If you have the bases closer together even models on the end will be close enough to two other models since a marine base is only 32mm. It's an adjustment that we'll all have to get used to.

As with all edition changes we can expect a few changes to how we run our armies

I think overall these are good changes. Definitely stops the conga lines of nonsense and as TWH mentioned a few minor changes to spacing won't impact others as much either

The coherency for being within 2" of 2 models only applies to units with 6+ models. So even a Marine squad maxed out isn't significantly impacted when taking casualties assuming you weren't maximising spacing to begin with. Which is the whole point of the rule.

1) TWH is correct don't max out the coherency and your good.

2) Back in 3rd I built 6 feet worth of trenches (looked like quasi-berms) that allowed for double rows of infantry ... because we wanted dreadnoughts and stuff to work in them also. 

3) I think I'll spend some time in July with foam cutter glue and jug of flock remaking these for the flgs when it reopens to public play. 

Thanks for the idea guys.

Edited by Dracos

I put a deposit down at my FLGS yesterday. I've seen rumored prices all over the place so I'm waiting to see what it ends up being. I'm okay with $200-$240, anything higher than that and I will have to really consider it. With as much as they're packing into the box I can't see it being less than $200, especially since it's got a special cover Rulebook and they've stated it's directed at 'veteran players'.

Yeah, I want it, but if it's hitting $300 it's probably gonna be a no from me dawg. I want the rule book and I want those models, but I don't paint that fast. On the other hand usually when they release these huge boxes they are are great value, even if it is an expensive box. Like the AT Grandmaster box, it was expensive, but it was a good value.

I put a deposit down at my FLGS yesterday. I've seen rumored prices all over the place so I'm waiting to see what it ends up being. I'm okay with $200-$240, anything higher than that and I will have to really consider it. With as much as they're packing into the box I can't see it being less than $200, especially since it's got a special cover Rulebook and they've stated it's directed at 'veteran players'.

Yeah I promised my Local Warhammer store I order through them......but I'm splitting it with a friend so at least I'm recouping some of it. 

So boys it looks like points leaks are out with a 17% increase. Start building your 1660pt lists to get a feel for your army size come 9th edition...

Saw that.....freaking aggressors, whirlwinds and suppressors got :censored:  expensive points wise...according to the rumored pts I saw

Yeah, I want it, but if it's hitting $300 it's probably gonna be a no from me dawg. I want the rule book and I want those models, but I don't paint that fast. On the other hand usually when they release these huge boxes they are are great value, even if it is an expensive box. Like the AT Grandmaster box, it was expensive, but it was a good value.

yeah $300 is hard no me too. 

too much new stuff I want but i need to paint what i have first.........wont happen I'll buy stuff

So having seen points leaks and data sheet leaks for a bunch of stuff, my raven guard successor army is 2216 points.

Some quick trimming and indomitus additions,, back under 2k.

Realise I've trimmed all the units I've painted during lockdown...

Well I'm trading/selling my Dakka Aggressors and replacing them with Flamer Aggressors. That and the second team of Inceptors will but the Warhawks at about 2k.

Then I'm starting a new DIY with a more dynamic color scheme focused on melee instead of shooting. If I get lucky I might be able to figure a way to blend the two color patterns into one army for the future.

Well I'm trading/selling my Dakka Aggressors and replacing them with Flamer Aggressors. 

Because of a points hike? They still seem much worse than the Bolter ones, no?

Looks like Centurions have taken a big jump so they might not be nearly as competitive now. Seems like good targets for SftS and MoA shift towards Gravis-armoured marines, both Aggressors and the new Eradicators. Then again remains to be seen how useful those abilities will be now that it's much more common to be able to come on as reserves. I was all fired up to paint some Grav-Centurions, now I'm leaning back towards Aggressors and even Hellblasters to deal with MEQ and TEQ.

Changing my play style I want to force myself to use them as a melee unit. Points are positive side effect. Something had to go with the point increases and I want two Infiltrator units instead of Incursors. The two Inceptors units can handle the heavy Dakka.

I’ll use the old army until I can get the melee focus Primaris up and running. Liking these Assault Intercessors more if the leak about 18” range heavy bolt pistols is true.

Edit: dang I actually named wrong unit. Wishlisting Assault Inceptors I guess

Edited by Dracos

Unless it's a really well done fake datasheet that is an 18" range bolt pistol. I've only skimmed the leaks and haven't really dived into them because I hate reading pictures. With each mention of something I find myself going back and looking up stuff.

Skimmed the leaked box unit rules - there are several updates to wargear stats/rules, that I rather expect to get updated into the codex. That, and maybe more that isn't in the box itself.

Heavy bolt pistol - changed to 18"

Astartes chainsword - changed to AP-1 (bonus attack still there)

Plasma pistol - now overheats on unmodified 1 (which has been intended for years)

Storm shield - 4++, improves save of the model by 1 (so 2+ armour on PA dudes, but no longer 3++)

MC power sword - S+1, otherwise same

Absolvor bolt pistol - 2D

Astartes banner - now every unit except for vehicle/beast/wulfen (previously only infantry/biker, no idea what units now benefit from it too)

Considering there will be other changes, I'll just wait and see. No need to prep for 9th based on leaks and speculation, I have enough model choice for a while...

I feel bad for them with leakgate, but at least they're trying to get back in front of it.

Their stream was hilarious this morning, they were ripping on all the leakers, about how disordered they were and they couldn't even upload leaked photos in the correct order.

I'm gradually settling into my list. I want my army to be primarily focused on shooting and staying outside of 12" and dominating the midfield early with a secondary emphasis on assault, to mop up. I'm trying to take units that are better at shooting and decent in the assault rather than taking assault focused units. That means I'm looking at boltstorm aggressors and Incursors.