Blood Pact and regimental doctrines

Hello all!

I've been a longtime lurker on these forums and have greatly enjoyed seeing people's ideas for conversions and alternative miniatures, as well as discussions of what rules to use, tactics and so on.

Having enjoyed their portrayal in the Gaunt's Ghosts series, I've finally ordered some 'counts as' Blood Pact to fight alongside my CSM.  My plan is to field them as R&H Disciples or Marauders in a vanguard detachment.  I noticed that, using the Cultists from my CSM army, I could also field a R&H army if I want a change.

I'm aware that some R&H players represent their armies with the AM rules and not simply for reasons of balance; choosing a suitable regimental doctrine can give an army a lot of flavour.  

So, my question is, what regimental doctrine do you think best represents the disciplined ranks of the Blood Pact?

(as an aside, when playing as R&H, which Chaos Covenant is most appropriate?  Khorne is the obvious choice simply because the Pact are aligned with Khorne, but I don't feel that the close assault nature of the Khorne Covenant accurately represents their focus on ranged combat)

Obviously, this may all become accademic very quickly when 9th edition hits us, but it will probably be a while before new Codexes start rolling out.

This sounds like a really fun project! You could make a case for many of the IG regiments matching the "professional yet insane soldiers" of the Blood Pact.

Some possible regiments include Vostroyan and Cadian (representing the Blood Pact's firepower emphasis). Another possibility is Tallarns. Tallarns might represent the Blood Pact's use of infiltration and clever schemes, such as their maneuvering through the ducts on Cirenholm, activating the Warp Beacon thingie on Hagia, and their attempt to outflank the Imperium via the Montorq Forest on Aexe Cardinal.

As for Covenants I'd stick with Khorne. The Blood Pact are professional soldiers, equally comfortable head butting the foe with their face grills as they are with gunning them down with autocannon and lasgun fire. The Khorne Covenant is still apropos for them.

Good luck! What paint schemes are you considering?

Edited by Tallarn Commander

You might want to pose the same question in the AM forum, as they are likely more familiar with the AM rules (I've read them, as my previous army is AM, but don't recall the details) and they have more traffic.

Personally, I would go Catachan as they are the best at close combat which seems appropriate for a khornate force - and yes, I know Khorne is about more than close combat but to me it is something that the blood pact would emphasize, if not for use on the enemy, for ironing out their own hierarchical and leadership issues.

Thanks for the replies.  Lots to think about! 

Tallarn is an interesting approach that I hadn't thought about before.

Good luck! What paint schemes are you considering?

Most likely, Blood Angels Red contrast paint on Wraithbone with silver trim (gold trim on the officers) and grey fatigues (possible Space Wolves grey).  These are the minis I'm going with:  https://vanguardminiatures.co.uk/product-category/troublemaker-games/defeat-in-detail-28mm/28mm-tainted-forces/

Personally, I would go Catachan as they are the best at close combat which seems appropriate for a khornate force - and yes, I know Khorne is about more than close combat but to me it is something that the blood pact would emphasize, if not for use on the enemy, for ironing out their own hierarchical and leadership issues.

Ha ha, very good point!  You won't last long in a position of leadership in a Khorne warband if you can't hold your own in close combat.