Codex Split?

SickSix

With the Indomitus box drop and the other units for Primaris coming, I really don't see how all of this and the old Astartes are going to fit in one book without it being huge. Will we see a Primaris only codex in 9th?

4 units per page, so even a dozen new units (you could roll Assault Intercessors into the Intercessor data sheet) it’s still only 3 extra pages, 4 for 16 etc. Need to? No. Want to? Yes. With a real look into how they see a Codex compliant Primaris only army to be organized.

Personally I'm already getting frustrated with the number of books I need to play an army, without even more coming into the mix. C:SM v2 + Imperial Fist Supplement + PA: Faith & Fury + Chapter Approved, and this is just for a Space Marine centric army without any additional Imperium elements, such as Inquisition.

I'd rather have fewer books, even if they are slightly larger in page count. 

To make room they can just shift OldMarines into Legends. I mean, that seems like their plan in general, especially with the Outriders being straight up replacements for the current Bikes (barring special weapons).

Two? GW would attempt to sell you five, if they could :tongue.:

Still, 8th ed. Codex: Space Marines lists 85 different units. Fitting 10 more (shieldy captain, sheildy lieutenants, shieldy champions, skeleton-on-a-stick guy, assault intercessors, melta aggressors, primaris bikes, judicar, turret, silly buggy) in the book doesn't seem too hard. Just scrap a few pages of something non-vital and it doesn't even have to get any thicker.

If they want to to do that, why they not released a Black Templar codex? Tere is enough potential for it but they didnt.

Why the hell all people think there will be a new codex so soon? At least 2 years for a new codex between used to be normal for GW. The current codex is just released 

To make room they can just shift OldMarines into Legends. I mean, that seems like their plan in general, especially with the Outriders being straight up replacements for the current Bikes (barring special weapons).

That's what I'm waiting for.

Kinda like a dog waiting for the next kick though.

I mean, with Chaos Marines still about, it would literally take a day's work to keep the Oldmarine pointcost up to date.

But nobody really sees that happen, do they?

Oh well, at least Oldmarines vs Oldmarines will be a fair match...

Still, I'd be thrilled to have an Oldmarine Codex for the time being.

I'd be more thrilled to have it all the way through 10th but hey, I'll take what I can get.

With the Indomitus box drop and the other units for Primaris coming, I really don't see how all of this and the old Astartes are going to fit in one book without it being huge. Will we see a Primaris only codex in 9th?

I think the Codex will grow with more units, but will have less lore and details on individual chapters and colour schemes as these get hived off into supplements.

I doubt we'll see a Codex split because that would mean GW have committed to producing new Classic/old Marines models and we know GW are only producing Primaris now.

What we'll see is more Classic Marines going to Legends to make room, which will upset more than a few people.

You can split them and keep updating the rules for both sets of Marines. They can even keep them as forces able to combine into one army as they do now. That doesn't have to change.

My concern is how unwieldy the book is becoming.

If thet split the book you can have a Primaris codex combining all of the supplements and Primaris characters.

They can't cut the old datasheets. There are still 4 different sets of Terminators. 3 or more different sets of power armour Veterans, etc

Certainly a lot of bloat but there are good kits and valid rules that go along with these units.

And this is only the vanilla book.

With digital codexes, I suspect this may become moot pretty fast.

Also, they could easily merge some datasheets together. Terminators and Assault Terminators could easily be a single datasheet, and merging Company Veterans with one or both of the other veteran squads wouldn't be hard. Land Raiders could potentially be merged as loadout options for a single datasheet, rather than three separate ones.

[...]

Also, they could easily merge some datasheets together. Terminators and Assault Terminators could easily be a single datasheet, and merging Company Veterans with one or both of the other veteran squads wouldn't be hard. Land Raiders could potentially be merged as loadout options for a single datasheet, rather than three separate ones.

But thereby, they'd limit you to the Rule of 3 and you'd have to decide wether you wanted Sternguard or Vanguard Vets - who do drastically different jobs and thus aren't that interchangeable.

And would Devastators, Assault Squads and Tac Squads just become one Datasheet as well since they're Marines but not Veterans?

No, imho that would severely limit the tactical options of 10+ year old C:SM collections :ermm:

[...]

But thereby, they'd limit you to the Rule of 3 and you'd have to decide wether you wanted Sternguard or Vanguard Vets - who do drastically different jobs and thus aren't that interchangeable.

And would Devastators, Assault Squads and Tac Squads just become one Datasheet as well since they're Marines but not Veterans?

No, imho that would severely limit the tactical options of 10+ year old C:SM collections :ermm:

Devastator, Assault, and Tactical Squads are in different force org slots, so they'd be harder to merge.

We don't know if the Rule of 3 will be the same in 9e, and besides, who's running more than three units of veterans of any kind? This has some downsides, and I'm not saying I love the idea, just that it sounds plausible-ish if they wanted to reduce the number of datasheets.

Hmmm finally I see someone bring up Rule of 3. As much as I would like 3 squads of Sniper Eliminators and 3 squads of Las-fusil Eliminators, I don't want to see the abusive spamming we've seen in the past. 

I think very few of us has a real inkling of what effort it takes to create a rule set with the variable factors that involve this many different factions. Board games no matter how difficult don't approach it,  and a Codex with the depth and diversity of the Space Marines must be a pretty big mountain to climb given the snowflake (me) nature of the fan base. 

I'ts just my opinion *because I believe Firstborn are here to stay for quite a while* (strange how Idaho and I have switched camps on that :)) but they could make life easier for everyone if they could logic a reason to make a Primaris only Codex work. At least until 11/12th? I think Firstborn are here to stay as the first amongst equals.