The widsom of sending your Warlord to the front?

I'm really tempted to CP a second warlord trait for my Captain and drop pod him with some melee vets.

He ain't a Salamander though (I've pulled this off successfully with my T6 Salamanders Smash Captain) so I feel like I'd be serving up Slay the Warlord on a silver platter.

(Edited to highlight 'Second')

Edited by HighMarshalAmp

At this point I think that if your army has the opportunity to buff that character into stupid levels of destructive power then I do think its worth the gamble, after that you just have to consider how you will remove the screening (which might be irrelevant with 9th coming soon) and then how you will get there, answer those questions and then consider if its worth it to your army plan. Besides SM warlords do two things, they either sit back and buff your army or rampage through the enemy lines, so which role do you want your Warlord to fulfill? 

A character with Hero of the Chapter is not your warlord, and doesn't give VP for "Slay the Warlord". And of course, if you're playing eg an ITC mission that doesn't have "Slay the Warlord", then it doesn't even matter.

I've played some lists where the warlord is a lynchpin and losing him really hurts. Any time I field High Marshal Helbrecht, his three auras feel that way, for example. But I've also played some lists where losing the warlord isn't a big deal, so using him aggressively is fine.

Since you'd be Drop Podding him in, you can choose to wait if you think the situation will end up with him dead. Or, if you think he can kill something important/distract enough, you can send him in anyway.

If the whole enemy army seems to be a major issue for him, then just don't put him in the Drop Pod during deployment, you have the flexibility there.