Tormentors: Recommitting to the Hobby

Hey everyone,

So like everyone else, COVID has kept me working at home, and I've had a pretty hard time separating "work time" from "personal time" - so I'm trying to restart my WIP log to kick start my interest in non-work things and maybe get back into the swing of things with my hobby time.

To that end, I figured I'd start with posting some of my work on my Primaris guys.

This army is intended to depict my Tormentors Chapter in the later years of the Indomitus Crusade.

Long story short, during the War for Cadia, the Tormentors split the Chapter - a few companies stayed to defend their territory near the Ghoul stars (no communication with them since the Night), a few companies went to Terra when they learned that the Phalanx left station (they are an IF successor), and the rest went to support ancillary campaigns around the eye of terror. some also journeyed to Macragge when they heard that Roboute had risen, and accompanied him on his voyage to Terra but they all died.

Chapter was obliterated in the fighting on Terra and Cadia and replenished with Primaris. However, like all reasonable Chapters, the surviving old guard didn't like that they hadn't done a "proper" Tormentors initiation, hadn't been indoctrinated per established methods, etc., generally untrusted because they were untested.

Therefore, during the Indomitus crusade, Primaris troops were brought into the Chapter but generally assigned to a "shock assault" function - basically, if a thing needs breaching or full speed frontal assault, this was the opportunity for the Primaris to prove their mettle.  They did a fine job and proved themselves and eventually became a maintstay in the Chapter.

This Army is modeled with that "heavy assault" mentality in mind - so Marines are loaded up with as many magazines, grenades, etc. that they can carry. I also feel that this is a little bit more realistic - Marines in general are expected to drop into the thickest of fighting and survive no matter what. Even with orbital resupplies, they can't afford a single gap wher ethey have too little ammunition or supplies, so they basically should always go in as heavy as possible.

With no further ado, here are the first pieces of my Army:

(Note that normally all of my troops have names - every Sergeant or above in the Chapter is named, and every Marine is named in the 5th company, but only at the time of 999.M41 - I haven't gotten around to naming replacements, figuring out who died in the crazy fighting, etc. - but they will get names...)

First, is a Lord Commander - essentially a "senior captain" that by this time in the Crusade had earned the right to control Chapter operations above company-level when the Chapter Master isn't in theater - usually this means being the commander of 2-4 companies fighting in a sector when the presence is that large:

masllIb.jpg

97La32N.jpg

Next is the Captain of the 4th Company (My firstborn are primarily from the 5th and 6th companies, Primaris make up the 4th Company that was almost completely annihilated on Terra): Just a regular Captain with stalker bolter and power sword, but the sword has been sheathed and he has a bit of a cocky stance:

c3snALO.jpg

ARxGnSa.jpg

Next is a Lieutenant:

P0D1SU0.jpg

thLeJGX.jpg

This next guy is a Sergeant, but he's the only guy I have period without a helmet which feels weird. I tried to figure out how to justify his stance and figured that he is actually a Sergeant of the Chapter's training cadre - basically observing the troops in action, looking for training opportunities, etc. I know that the Chaplain holds this role for the Companies, but some of the more experienced Sergeants will also fill a role like this at the Chapter level.

u3PR1a2.jpg

uOGGGyG.jpg

Finally some troops - this Intercessor squad is loaded for bear (note that each of them has a so-called "wolf hook" sling - example here (https://www.armyproperty.com/store/p/2524/spec-ops-174-wolf-hook-153-weapon-lanyard-sling)- where it's attached from the rear of the bolter to a point under/by the shoulder pad. This is why you usually don't see them with slings, but some Marines prefer full slings so they are the exception (that's how I justify it in my mind):

bQB0Xql.jpg

o3gdeua.jpg

Finally, some early prototype Reivers - Since they are close assualt troops and only have pistols, I at least made them look like machine pistols with drum mags and a handle to spray out a bunch of rounds. I had given them Intercessor helmets before since I thought the Reiver helms belong on Chaplains, but instead I'll give them the Infiltrator helmets. I think there are just too many different helmet types (seriously each guy is going to have like 5 different helmets that he wears depending on which "outfit" he's wearing on a mission).

5UmBaaT.jpg

That's it so far, would love to hear your thoughts on it!

Edited by coldfyre

Really nice work coldfyre! Some people take the 'extra equipment' a little too far for my personal taste and leave their models looking too busy, but I think you've found a nice balance that looks realistic without being over the top.

I'm liking your training sergeant conversion too - if/when I can get my hands on one I might come back for inspiration!

Echoing what Pawl and Apologist stated. All the kit and gear adds to the models and makes them more realistic. Two questions;

Where did you get the mag holders that look molded out of green stuff on your intersessors?

And where are those drum mags from on the rievers too?

Can wait to see some paint on these guys!

Where did you get the mag holders that look molded out of green stuff on your intersessors?

Having just paid them proper attention, it looks like they've been cut from / press-moulded from a Bolter and cast in greenstuff - you can see where the magazine release button is.

Edited by pawl

Looking great, dude! I love the extra munitions and pouches on these dudes! Echoing what others have asked, where did you get the bolter mag pouches on their waists? They look like resin but I've never seen them before! I might be looking to "tactically re-acquire" those :teehee: Also, I really dig that sergeant pose! Keep it up, man!

Thanks everyone!

pawl hit the nail on the head - I mad the mag pouches from the bolt rifle bits that make determine if they're holding a stalker, regular, or auto bolt rifle - each bolt rifle comes iwth all three, so if you buy a kit of 10 Marines and arm them with, say, 5 stalkers and 5 auto bolt rifles, that leaves you five of each bit that you can convert into an extra mag.

Space runs out quick, so I created press molds (not great quality but gets the job done) to make a bunch more. However, on ebay you can probably get 10 for like a buck, so you could just use the plastic ones. As a bonus, since you cut up that piece on the bolter, it gives you a bunch of extra little scopes that you can cut up into various optics.

Rather than cloth pouches, this gives them kind of a "tacticool," easy access way to reload, sort of like these pouches: https://www.airsoftgi.com/product/Emerson-High-Speed-M4-M16-Dual-Mag-Pouch-Modern-Camo-24745/

The other pouches (little butt packs, misc small cloth pouches, knives, etc.) are a mix of Victoria Miniatures and Anvil Industry pouches:

https://victoriaminiatures.com/search?type=product%2Carticle%2Cpage&q=pouch (first two results)

The drum mags are anvil industry (althought when i looked for a link, it looks like they stopped selling the mags separately and replaced them with some goofy looking ones instead - the one i have are available with this gun set) https://www.anvilindustry.co.uk/gothic-assault-rifle