Squats retuning?

I am in two minds about a possible return of Squats.

On one hand I see the endless and exciting possibilities that they offer in the lore. And make no mistake, their background will not be the goofy biker-space-dwarfs that they were previously. Look at the Zoats, which were a laughable Tyranid allied race, but now has been reimagined into the Archivist of Blackstone Fortress. No-one is laughing now.

As for the Squats, their had not quite been retconned out, but their lore has been so ignored that gaps will need to be filled in. They were supposedly eaten by the Tyranids; well, how did they (as a civilization) survive? I'll bet that their worlds weren't consumed, but abandoned beforehand, that they became a fully void-borne civilization, where their short form is ideal for life in the dark, cramped corridors of their mining ships that harvest asteroids and comets for resources in the deep places of the void (parallels with Dwarf mines very much intentional). And who knows, perhaps 'Demiurge' it the name these abhumans use for themselves instead if the rather demeaning 'Squats'. And perhaps they are caretakers of ancient pieces of Dark Age tech that even the AdMech does not have, allowing for an advanced but differing aesthetics compared to the Imperial norm. 

But on the other hand... another human and/or Imperial faction? Especially since Necromunda has proven these abhumans can be effortlessly be added to the Astra Militarum. There is an entire galaxy worth of xenos to develop. Slaught, Yu'vath constructs, Rak'Ghol... These would excite me more than Squats.

Edited by Quantum

You know i really hadnt clocked how well the Genestealer cults have stolen all the Squat design space with their mining aesthetics, slightly better but still basically human infantry, roving biker gangs and elite melee units. Hell their psykers are even revered elder figures in their society :D 

How... Genestealer-y of them :D 

This was originally posted in the News, Rumors, and Board Announcements forum as a rumor/speculation based on the image in the first post. However, the topic has shifted over to the twin issues of whether or not Squats should return, and in what form hobbyists would like to see Squats return.

As has been pointed out, Squats are present via Necromunda models (the lore of the Necromunda game is fully immersed in the overall setting).

Moreover, we don't really have a credible rumor about Squats returning to the main Warhammer 40,000 game. Rather, we are speculating on the issue.

So I've moved this topic over to Amicus Aedes.

Terrible to some, not to all... I can't stand Primaris, I want nothing to do with them yet here we are...

GW said themselves they are all for diversity and whatnot in their games, I want an army of short fat bald bearded men who drink and swear a lot...

Play Space Wolves. :tongue.:

I do... 

and I said short and fat, not 8ft something. 

EDIT

Actually the Squats dont have to be Imperial aligned anymore. Did they get any help when the Nids ate their homeworlds?? They could be a bit annoyed to return home and find it all nommed. 

Edited by Slave to Darkness

And perhaps they are caretakers of ancient pieces of Dark Age tech that even the AdMech does not have, allowing for an advanced but differing aesthetics compared to the Imperial norm. 

But on the other hand... another human and/or Imperial faction? Especially since Necromunda has proven these abhumans can be effortlessly be added to the Astra Militarum. There is an entire galaxy worth of xenos to develop. Slaught, Yu'vath constructs, Rak'Ghol... These would excite me more than Squats.

Love the 'Dark Age caretakers' idea!

While I'm all for zany new xeno kits, I think there's alot of Abhumans themes that 40k should lean into for new 'full ranges' rather than try to come up with 'fresh' alien armies for full 40k games. Heck - my Khorne list already uses Beastmen as Cultists.

The new Zoat is wicked, but it's quite niche, and the rationale for including them as a 'full army range' is very thin; unfortunately I feel the same way about your examples:

Slaugth are small in number and don't really have 'culture' in the way that other factions do... IMO they wouldn't work as a 'range of miniatures' very well. They work as a potential 'mastermind' faction to rationalize internecine conflict within normally friendly factions tho! Be cool to have a Blackstone kit, for sure!

Yu'Vath are similar in the respect that they appear to rely substantially on 'slave armies' and even their constructs would appear to tread close to Necron and Nurgle design spaces.

Rak'Gol - arguably the best of the examples, but essentially seem a bit like 'Tyranids with 2 more limbs and they use actual guns'. Simultaneously too much like Nids and Orks to suggest a full range to me.

Squats would resurrect Dwarves for 40k.! I can't think of a better candidate for a full new army - think Kharadron, but more straight lines lol.

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

And perhaps they are caretakers of ancient pieces of Dark Age tech that even the AdMech does not have, allowing for an advanced but differing aesthetics compared to the Imperial norm. 

Love the 'Dark Age caretakers' idea!

While I'm all for zany new xeno kits, I think there's alot of Abhumans themes that 40k should lean into for new 'full ranges' rather than try to come up with 'fresh' alien armies for full 40k games. Heck - my Khorne list already uses Beastmen as Cultists.

The new Zoat is wicked, but it's quite niche, and the rationale for including them as a 'full army range' is very thin; unfortunately I feel the same way about your examples:

Slaugth are small in number and don't really have 'culture' in the way that other factions do... IMO they wouldn't work as a 'range of miniatures' very well. They work as a potential 'mastermind' faction to rationalize internecine conflict within normally friendly factions tho! Be cool to have a Blackstone kit, for sure!

Yu'Vath are similar in the respect that they appear to rely substantially on 'slave armies' and even their constructs would appear to tread close to Necron and Nurgle design spaces.

Rak'Gol - arguably the best of the examples, but essentially seem a bit like 'Tyranids with 2 more limbs and they use actual guns'. Simultaneously too much like Nids and Orks to suggest a full range to me.

Squats would resurrect Dwarves for 40k.! I can't think of a better candidate for a full new army - think Kharadron, but more straight lines lol.

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

Well, if there is one spacefaring human faction that could be neither Imperial or Chaos, it would be squats. Sure they were part of the Imperium before, but being abhumans they were probably already heavily discriminated against, and then basically abandoned by the Imperium when the Tyranids came for their worlds. I can readily envision them saying: "to hell with these planets, and to hell with the Imperium. We are outta-here!"

Would create an interesting dynamic: being secessionists, they are in enemies of the Imperium. But in an age where humanity is beset at every angle, Squats being neutral would probably be preferable over outright hostility.  

On the other hand, now that Kill Team is here to stay, we have a game system that is perfect to include mini-factions, like xenos that are interesting but not yet viable for a full army.

On the other hand, now that Kill Team is here to stay, we have a game system that is perfect to include mini-factions, like xenos that are interesting but not yet viable for a full army.

This is exactly how they need to use KT. Imperial Agents/ Mercenaries, Xenos factions. I want a Commorragh set because I think GW Commorragh terrain would be awesome.

Mini-games work best when used as a cross-platform integration strategy.