Are canoptek systems known to develop faults?

Hey all

Returning to Necrons since I dropped them in 7th edition due to discovering that Hersey existed and I could only afford one army, and I'm looking to do a Szarekhen Dynasty force.

But, I'm looking to do it with a difference: essentially overgrown tomb world where the necrons themselves were exposed to the elements, so rock and debris built up on them, moss, etc...

Hopefully this will give a lovely look on the table, but I wanted to check with people who know the lore better than I if this makes sense, primarily along the lines of if canoptek systems are known to develop faults and not maintain things properly etc...

Does this seem like a plausible origin for them, and a good starting point for a snazzy looking necron force?

Cheers all!

Yes, absolutely.  Most Canoptek systems develop faults.  You could say maybe there's flora on the Tomb World that, for whatever reason, the Canoptek systems can't see, so it has overgrown the Tomb complex or something.  Or a mineral in the rocks or whatever.

Yes, absolutely.  Most Canoptek systems develop faults.  You could say maybe there's flora on the Tomb World that, for whatever reason, the Canoptek systems can't see, so it has overgrown the Tomb complex or something.  Or a mineral in the rocks or whatever.

I had a feeling this was the case, but i know Necrodermis has a tendancy to be a magic maguffin of it just "heals itself" so always good to check. I really like the idea of the flora and mineral they cannot detect though, that's genius! I was wondering how I could justify them not simply removing it when they awaken - looks like the Imperium need to cover their tanks and troops in this stuff when fighting the hordes of the Silent King then!

Also whoever edited my post with a better title, thank you - infinitely more helpful than my initial one haha :rolleyes:

I've seen this done in a variety of ways, from applying thin coats of cracked earth texture paint to flatter areas and applying small bits of basing elements around to straight up covering models in moss and other earthy elements to the point where one can barely tell the unit. To my eyes even the extreme examples look pretty great, though I think were I to do it I would go a simpler path with the textured paint.

As Tyriks pointed out from what we know I'd agree that Canoptek systems are a "20% of the time it works 100% of the time" scenario so you're clear to do what you want and have it fit right in.

I think the technique I'm looking to do is adding bits of sprue onto shoulder pads, backs, that kind of thing - then using stirland battlemire/mud to cover these little bits and "smooth them out". This should give me big chunks of earth and rock but with some stability to them.

Then add little bits of rock to vary it up and clump foliage to finish off. Got a box of Immortals on their way to test this out and see how they look. I'm also leaning towards the idea of having them with no mouths as Thralls of the Silent King. Just to give them an even creepier vibe.

That sounds great! I like removing the mouth as well, that will definitely give it a creepier vibe. I feel like puttying in the lines then doing the finest of sandings over could work well there. What was your thought on creating the effect?

That sounds great! I like removing the mouth as well, that will definitely give it a creepier vibe. I feel like puttying in the lines then doing the finest of sandings over could work well there. What was your thought on creating the effect?

Thanks! I'm hoping it'll give them a creepy look, especially as I'm feeling having a neolithic tribal society living on the tomb world in the shadow of these "Stone Men" who stand like the Terracota Army is a really cool idea, not realising what they truly are...I was thinking of using milliput to fill the gaps in as that should be pretty straightforward to do, then sand a little to make sure it's smooth.

Necrodermis keeps everything functioning, and did a great job of that over ~65 million years

Clean isn't necessary for functional, especially for warriors, which are lowest of the low on the Necron totem pole

So if the canoptek systems decide that it isnt worth the expenditure of resources to keep the buildup of mineral and flora off the warriors if it doesn't hamper their combat effectiveness, it won't.

So yeah, your good

Plus, "Your Dudes" always comes into play

Another +1 for canoptek systems failing all the time. One of the sub factions of Necrons the Maynarkh dynasty wound up assimilating were all entombed on an aquatic world. Tombs got flooded and when they emerged a lot of them were rusted and barnacle covered. Go crazy with whatever kind of deterioration you can think of.

Another +1 for canoptek systems failing all the time. One of the sub factions of Necrons the Maynarkh dynasty wound up assimilating were all entombed on an aquatic world. Tombs got flooded and when they emerged a lot of them were rusted and barnacle covered. Go crazy with whatever kind of deterioration you can think of.

Oh I really like that, getting some real PotC vibes from that! I think it's pretty safe to say that this idea will work, and the main reason for me wanting to clarify is I know the whole "Your Guys" point, but I also want to try and design my guys so they don't openly fly in the face of predefined lore. This is mainly so as many people who I play against as possible can get behind the feeling and don't feel like it's "out of character" with the faction :rolleyes:

I think that makes sense...

Oh I really like that, getting some real PotC vibes from that! I think it's pretty safe to say that this idea will work, and the main reason for me wanting to clarify is I know the whole "Your Guys" point, but I also want to try and design my guys so they don't openly fly in the face of predefined lore. This is mainly so as many people who I play against as possible can get behind the feeling and don't feel like it's "out of character" with the faction :rolleyes:

I think that makes sense...

That does make sense, there's definitely a niche for carving out your own aesthetic while still fitting in with established timelines and lore. I frequently work the same angle with the fluff behind my army, though that's more of a story and less to do with modeling.

The Maynarkh Dynasty is from the Damnos campaign books, right Kaldoth?