New Player Advice-Ork boyz...slugga? or shoota?

MithrilForge

heya guys, quick question ( building a small starter army for 9th Ed) i'm putting a box of Boyz together( I don't want to but I know I gotta have em as a staple so i'm getting them out of the way before toyz :laugh.: ) and wanted to ask the captain obvious question... slugga/choppa or shooter? , and what do I give Boy No 10...??.. and while we're there what do i give the Nob... ?

it's been a ton of years since I played GreenSkins so any easy advice would be helpful :sweat:

Looking fwd to some bashin & Krumpin in 9th Ed :devil:

Cheers, Mithril

Optimal for me is a 50 50 mix with big shootas and a nob with a big choppa. Kill off the boyz you need less as the game progresses. Choppas are nice but you dont really need them to win most fights. Shootas do work if you bring enough of them. Combined weapons do not hurt the unit in any way and up the flexibility quite a bit.

I second a 50/50 mix. Boyz themselves already have a great basic attack profile, so if you need more dakka you can pick off the choppa boyz without degrading your close combat power too much. The opposite is also true if you're not getting anywhere with shooting. Upgrades on Boyz are always the lowest priority when I list build just because they die in droves.

Thanks for the tips guys !, so I’ll build my first box mixed and so on etc... I’m thinking I’ll add a big shoota as well as it looks cool anyway.

I’m getting the feeling I shouldn’t give them golden demon paint jobs and get too attached to them, methinks the lil guys will be seeing the destroyed Units tray a whole lot more than other units...

I got a box of Nobs today and was wondering have people made their first Warboss from this kit?, the shop had no character models so I was rather limited for choice,it was Nobs or stormboyz!?!.

So here’s my second question ;-D How would I equip a very basic Warboss - power klaw and what shootyvweapon ?!...

Again, cheers for the answers and wisdom already given.

Cheers, Mithril

You can get warboss grukk with a unit of nobs as a box, he is not available separately unfortunately.

They do a metal warboss still direct from GW.

Third option is the warboss from the Asdault on Black Reach boxset, can usually be found on ebay still as they reprinting him and some bits in these boxes they sell in toyshops(apparently not seen one in the wild myself but live in a rubbish area)

Usual loadout for a boss is a power klaw and then whatever else you wanna do- most models have some form of combi-shoota.

I happen to have a spare Grukk face rippa (minus the backpack) on the sprue. If youre interested- just pm me your address and I'd be happy to mail him out to you next time I go to the post office. Every waagh needs a warboss afterall

Edited by The_Chaplain

I'd say always build the rokkit launcha from the Boyz kit as they can be used as tankbustaz when you get enough of them (and you will get enough of them), and also the big shoota because they'll add up to the mob's dakka and why not.

For the rest, I would not worry much as you'll be getting new Boyz soon; while they are few they may want to max their attacks so slugga/choppa won't hurt; also if you build the Deff Dread with skorchas/klaws or saws/klaws you're wanting to charging home with it and the boyz will oblige to join in; but to build 50/50 is a good idea as you'll have multirole mobs which you can make dakka or choppy when numbers grow and because what Kaldoth said.

I rocommend you to get the Grukk+Nobz box if you don't get the spare boss from the Chaplain so you have Boyz and Nobz+Warboss units.

Also then you can grab a battlewagon for the Boss and Nobz, maybe a trukk for the Boyz (remember that if they are open topped everybody can shoot from them) and a few Flash Gitz and/or Lootaz to have more dakka.