Assassins in 9th

So now because of the change to the character rule the Assassins need to stay close to another unit. This is especially problematic for the Vindicare which now pretty much needs a babysitting unit or is pretty much unplayable. And since hit modifiers are capped at -1 this stealth suit ability got nerfed. Today the faction focus for AOTI came out and they didn't address this. That makes me a bit concerned. What do you think about this?

He can't lone wolf it anymore which is a bit sad...but in many missions you'll still want to keep units in the back for objective holding so you can just deploy him with them. I think the other Assassins are going to be interesting on the smaller tables, because even without deepstriking they can more quickly close the range now.

I wonder if there will be some kind of FAQ that explicitly deals with any ability that automatically gives more than a +1/-1 modifier. Now, they might just be there to prevent opposite modifiers from canceling things out (i.e. +1 to hit is worthless against a Vindicare Assassin in cover) but I also wouldn't be surprised if certain abilities can also have built in exemptions in the same way that some abilities can modify Overwatch.

I wonder if there will be some kind of FAQ that explicitly deals with any ability that automatically gives more than a +1/-1 modifier. Now, they might just be there to prevent opposite modifiers from canceling things out (i.e. +1 to hit is worthless against a Vindicare Assassin in cover) but I also wouldn't be surprised if certain abilities can also have built in exemptions in the same way that some abilities can modify Overwatch.

I don't have the dex, so I don't know the normal power, but they've already said you don't actually lose bonuses- you calculate the hit penalty as usual, comparing abilities on both the atacker and defender, AND THEN if it's more than +/-1, you change it.

So if the assassin normally has -2 to be hit, and the attacker has no bonus, the -2 modifier becomes -1. BUT if the attacker has +1, I compare that to the -2 and the attacker STILL has -1.

Now if you had -2 and you jump behind light cover for an additional -1, even someone with a +2 will still be -1 to hit. Obviously, not as good as infinite modifier, but still worth remembering.