Final game of 8th - Data Hoard Forgeworld Feedback

So i had my last game of 8th over the weekend. Me and a couple of mates did a big 4k battle.

The split was as follows

2k admech + 2k wolves

vs

2k darkangels + 2k guard.

As i was previosuly on a 6+ game winning streak with my stygies list against my friends gaurd/DA lists I decided I would drop stygies for the game and instead take the data hoard forgeworld instead.

The 6+ FNP primary seemed it would be useful for onagers/kastellans (if not as useful as the -1 to hit id usually have).

As i run 12 breachers I took the 5/6s exploding arc weapons secondary, and an additional new warlord trait to give my all my servitors 5+ FNP.

With mass breachers/onagers the Data Hoard FW did a surprising amount of work.

Breachers exploding on 5/6s do some serious work, with daedolosus nearby or the servitor strat giving them +1 to hit (and a dominus rerolls) the explodes effectively cancelled out any misses, with me actually scoring more hits than what I rolled on more than one occasion.

The 5+ FNP on breachers is also really nice.

Even though the warlord trait is 'models with 6"', this is pretty easy to achieve (i sit my dominus betwene two 6 man units, and hes usually within 6" of at last 4-5 models from each squad.

The 6+ FNP on vehicles was less useful, as despite losing 24 wounds on onagers in the game, I didnt make a single 6 - but I could see how this would become useful

Actually combining this with my usual stygies setup so theyd be -1 to hit also is going to make breachers 

Data Hoard, Is it 'competitive'

- Probably not, and Mars/Stygies are still better choices, although it would be interesting to see a list with say 18+ breachers in it running this to take full advantage of the explodes. Itd be harder to keep them all in the FNP bubble however.

Data Hoard, Is it fun?

- With massed breachers, yep! Regularly getting 10-12 hits from a squad of 6, even when wounding on 5s against a lot of vehicles does some real output for a troop unit. The regular d3 damage against non-vehicles also becomes really handy for clearing out multi wound elite infanttry.

Considerations for 9th

- With the servitor strat and daedolosus and a dominus nearby, I was managing to hit certain units on a 2+, rerolling 1s, exploding on unmodified 5/6s.

This will be capped at 3+ for 9th (although you may be able to cancel out an initial -1 to still hit on 3+, so the +2 to hit still isnt totally redundant)

- Taking large squads of breachers and reducing squads of vangaurd/rangers should be easier due to not having to fill battallions for CP

P.S. for those wondering, the game ended up another win for the admech (with a fair amount of help from the wolves of course).

Edited by DanPesci