Wolves in the new marine codex

Just found this in the vid

ONE WOLF LORD PER DETACHMENT and 2 lieutenants

I really like this change, as long as it is applied to everyone. Having 3 smash captains in a detachment was just silly. Not that that would happen as often in 9th given the way army construction has changed, but still...

I like it for nerfing 3 BA smash captains or Custodes biker boys BUT I like running Bjorn and a TWC wolflord in some lists

Can confirm the Hunters Unleashed changes too, no 6' range unless its a strat, but all units can HI, which I think we can all sink our teeth into

Bjorn was my first thought too, but then I realized he doesn't have the Wolf Lord keyword so it shouldn't be a problem. Unless they change that on his datasheet whenever our supplement comes out.

It is a reasonable change for us as it will keep us inline with new releases without having to wait , it opens up new toys to us and in reality its not just us its all marines being put under one umbrella. It helps the game , it will help marine internal balance , we will still have all the things that make us special. It's not really a huge deal.

Where did I heard this before? :D

Well, the Gladiator tank was clearly that one that looked vaguely like a combination Impulsor and Baal Predator in the super-grainy leaked pic that had the Outriders in it from late last year.  Now the only thing missing is that cool new Land Speeder thing.

Not too bothered about being wrapped into the main Space Marines book and then getting our own Supplement to flesh us out later.  If you guys recall, that worked really well for Imperial Fists, Iron Hands, and Raven Guard this past edition.  

Heroic Intervention for the entire army may not be the most powerful thing ever, but it sure is fluffy for us.  And, we kept the +1 to hit on charge/charge/HI from Hunter's Unleashed, so I'm happy overall.

Looking forward to everything.

p0643jh.jpeg

yep.

everyone can heroic intervene, everyone gains +1 to hit if charge/heroic intervenes.

interesting note, IM certain this will be patched to say infantry only.

because that means we can heroically intervene with vehicles?

HI is so bad this edition that I don’t think it matters who can do it. 3inches is played around incredibly easily.

Black Templar’s chapter trait is starting to look good.

This actually works out for us as players.

This does bite from not having Grav weapons for so long, however unless we're not allowed, which now makes no sense, more the time to get the Wolves the ability through Imperial red tape to make it, oh well.

Still, October?

They should push it out ASAP, get those models up and out fast!

Also there is mention of “heavy intercessors”... whatever they may be

Where was that mentioned?  In the Twitch stream?  I could go for some Intercessors with Bolt Rifles in Gravis Armour.

It comes from pics of unit lists from the back of the new codex along with the name of the new speeder and a few other assorted name drops. See the space marine codex discussion in news and rumors

Gravis troops could be pretty cool...

Edited by Rune Priest Jbickb

This is pretty exciting.  All of the new Indomitus units that we've known about for quite a while now, but also the new Gladiator Tanks, the new Primaris Land Speeder variants, the new Heavy Intercessors, and several new versions of characters spotted, as well.  

Nothing like getting a bunch of new units to help flesh out the updated Primaris range.

I also like the limit to one Captain/Wolf Lord and two Lieutenants/Battle Leaders per detachment.  Again, it's a move toward the fluff, and I like that none of the Space Marine Chapters are going to get to spam a bunch of Smash Captains anymore.  

Fun times.

I’m pretty excited about the gladiator tanks. I have to go back over the weapons options but a double heavy onslaught gating cannon sounds spicy.

I do like the change to the HQ’s. I hope they do it for other armies. (But only for dark eldar if they get lieutenant equivalents lol).

My bet for the heavy Intercessors are heavy weapons and not gravis.

The free heroic intervention to ALL is gonna be so much fun!!!!

In 9th edition you score objectives at the beginning of your turn...not the end

You need to survive your opponent trying to dislodge you

Army wide HI means grab your blenders and sit on objectives (I'm going dread heavy again).

If somebody wants to contest our objective they better hope they can survive the heroic intervention...there will be no more sneaking in with objective secure troops to deny us our points

This should DEFINE us as the premier mid board hold and counter attack army

We already had armor of russ (add in justiciars now)

All of our strengths are guiding us to a specific playstyle

I also like the fluffier rule of not having 3 captains on the feild. I just hope they finally let us take battle leaders in pairs like lieutenants for other space marines. Get us more use out of the tightened up slots.

I hope we get an exemption like previous editions.

A SW specific rule that lets us take more characters than normal due to the heroic nature of our chapter would be interesting.

I’d expect a large change to some of our stuff. I don’t see Wolf Guard Terminators keeping our unique weapons choices. We may lose armor of Russ. Both changes can be fixed in the supplement. It’s really too early to tell. We have until October to play with what we have. Enjoy it while we can. We might be in for a cold winter.

I also like the fluffier rule of not having 3 captains on the feild. I just hope they finally let us take battle leaders in pairs like lieutenants for other space marines. Get us more use out of the tightened up slots.

I hope we get an exemption like previous editions.

A SW specific rule that lets us take more characters than normal due to the heroic nature of our chapter would be interesting.

Those rules had slipped my mind but they would be fun to bring back. Even if it was like spend a CP to double HQ slots or something like that. Probably not happening of course but it would be cool