Judiciar. Ultramarines conversion idea

Paulinus

Not a fan of this model so I am looking at some alternative heads and colour scheme to be a bit more “Ultra”

I was thinking of using a gravis marine bare head (the one that looks like a Bane mask) and painting the armour Ultramarine Blue instead of black and going black on all the leather part.

I think it those small changes would make the model a bit more in keeping with the Ultramarines look.

Not a fan of this model so I am looking at some alternative heads and colour scheme to be a bit more “Ultra”

I was thinking of using a gravis marine bare head (the one that looks like a Bane mask) and painting the armour Ultramarine Blue instead of black and going black on all the leather part.

I think it those small changes would make the model a bit more in keeping with the Ultramarines look.

But.... The Judiciar is a member of the Reclusiam.

He wears black armour because that's the codex mandate.

I’ve converted one for my home brew chapter with a Deathwing terminator head (the hooded one which only shows the mouth and chin). I’ve got another coming for my ultras which I plan to use the beardy laurel head from the firstborn Ultramarines upgrade spruce to reinforce the idea of him being a champion.

My personal take:

I thought the Judiciar head was a little too cartoony for my liking. But I almost felt removing it would be.... sacrilege? That helmet seems like an official "I'm in training' mask.

I am reading Indomitus.... the Judiciar in there is often referenced as working towards full Chaplain-hood and quite often is not the speech giver, but the head-taker instead (leading by example.)

However the more I think of it, I don't have any fundamental evidence that his helmet has real meaning, or is personal choice. So I'd consider swapping it.

That being said there have been some very easy, but very cool suggestions in the thread that I might steal!

Would a Reiver head work quite well? Either the bare head or helmet version.

I ended up doing this and was really happy with the result. Went with one of the bare headed Reiver heads. If I had any idea how to post a pic then I would - but I don’t, so I can’t