Do BladeGuard Belong With UM

Redrandy93

Brothers I will be getting my Indomitus box in a few days.   I am trying to figure out/decide if I want the Bladeguard figures for my UM army.    I do not like the standard bearer and the shield for the captain.   The justicar i will sell.    Looking to hear from our veterans on what you think.

Thanks.

Do you mean rules-wise, or thematically?

I meant strategy wise. I am still finding my Ultra's de best with a super shooty mid range that can do some CC damage. The Bladeguard are a unit I've used with good results, but you are sinking points into a non-obsec unit, and it tends to shrink your footprint a bit, then adding additional squads can reduce that footprint further. (I was taking away from my extra troop squads to put in the Bladeguard so that is probably part of the problem.)

I enjoy assault elements in my Ultramarines so I could ve biased, but I think if they get into close combat they will do wonders for any player. The trick, I guess, is having additional assault elements or you may as well not bother.

As an example, taking Bladeguard in an army with Vanguard with Jump Packs, Contemptors and Redemptors will have plenty of attacking elements so the Bladeguard won't get left high and dry.

As the sole assault element, then maybe not.

I am fielding them as a bodyguard unit with the captain, and a libby in an impulsor. This will work in tandem with a judicar and an assault intercessor squad in another Impulsor. This is the totality of my close combat. I should have enough other fast moving units and troops units to do the other job elsewhere. Incursors for objective grabbing, tacs in razorbacks and preds(to be replaced by the new grav tanks maybe). Having those two transports of assault units should be enough forward distraction against most armies to cover for everyone else, and if not they will beat someone up pretty badly if ignored.

Do you mean rules-wise, or thematically?

I meant strategy wise. I am still finding my Ultra's de best with a super shooty mid range that can do some CC damage. The Bladeguard are a unit I've used with good results, but you are sinking points into a non-obsec unit, and it tends to shrink your footprint a bit, then adding additional squads can reduce that footprint further. (I was taking away from my extra troop squads to put in the Bladeguard so that is probably part of the problem.)

Sorry, my question was more directed at the OP, I just formatted it badly.