The Royal Awakening: Prepare for Battle!

NTaW

Hi, new member here! I'm a bit late to pledge (had trouble joining the forum), but I very humbly pledge 10 Warriors. It's my first time trying to paint in batch so I'll see how it goes and think about a second pledge.

Edit: Think I found a way to upload my photo:

gallery_225534_16611_169566.jpg

They are primed in leadbelcher, and I applied a nuln oil shade just before the picture (sorry). One of them has traces of turquoise left but that was just a prior airbrush test - it will be painted over.

Edit 2: To clarify, it's my first vow, the Warriors have Gauss flayers, and the point total is 120. I guess I cheated with the nuln oil being already done in my pic; if it doesn't count because of that, that's really fine.

Edited by Miek

Focslain I know all about the pain of getting into those lines with a brush and several layers of paint. If your plan is to get into the recesses instead of on the edges of them might I suggest watering your paints down a bit extra and wiping away any misses with a thumb or tissue on the quick as you go. It's something I fell into doing about 1k into my army and OH BOY did it save me some agony. I kind of want to check out temperature oxidization, though I can at least tell you titanium gets a white frosted look if exposed to excessive and frequent heating. Really digging how your armies are fitting together too by the way.

toaae they look so good!!!!! I'm sure you said it before but what grey is that? It's such a nice matte colour. Not gunna lie though I can't pronounce the name of your Dynasty's homeworld but all those letters look really cool next to each other! :lol::sweat:

Miek welcome to the B&C and the Royal Awakening! No worries about where you're at with the models there I absolutely understand riding the wave of "get painting!", that's what we're here to support! :tu: I look forward to seeing your colour scheme develop but I will never get tired of seeing a good solid coat of ledbelcher covered in nuln oil. What colour are you going with for your energy glow?

toaae they look so good!!!!! I'm sure you said it before but what grey is that? It's such a nice matte colour. Not gunna lie though I can't pronounce the name of your Dynasty's homeworld but all those letters look really cool next to each other! :laugh.::sweat:

It's Abaddon Black with a Mechanicus Standard Grey zenithal highlight, and an edge highlight of Dawnstone. One reason it's so matte is that after the airbrush stages I sealed it with a matte varnish.

And Pnoabsterix (know-ab-stair-ecks) is the sub-sector my Orks and Sororitas hail from, as well as my future AdMech and custom Astartes. I'm making my own little shared universe.

Seeing all these great paint jobs is some great motivation, I gotta say. I love all the various takes on the metal skelly bois, shows how much can be done with such a simple chassis!

I was able to get some more of the group painted up this week, including the Destroyers, the Skorpekh Lord, and the Royal Warden. I also realized I had completely forgotten to paint the cabling on my Warriors, so I went back and did a quick patch job to get them up to standard.

I have also come up with a name for the Dynasty, Amun-Set. 

a9H4RBI.jpg

Also, more importantly for post length, I figured out how spoilers work!

Bonus Close up Pics of these completed models:

FNWvRXZ.jpg

BXMiqjL.jpg

Clj51nn.jpg

TOUS5UM.jpg

And a short account of the PDF of Opulencia and thier first encounter with the unliving legions of the Necron.

It was becoming difficult for Trooper Rhys Oberik to ignore the screaming. Not that it had been easy to shut it out at first, mind, when the people had come out of the Razorlands to throw themselves at the guns of Garrison JC-2. They screamed, begging for help and salvation, even as they tried to gouge out the eyes of Oberik’s fellow PDF with bits of obsidian and slate.
A man who was old enough to be his grandfather had torn out the lieutenant's throat while tears streamed down his own eyes, begging for forgiveness from the horrified troopers around him.
That was an hour ago, right before Oberik and the rest of the garrison stopped hesitating to fire against the civilian swarms.
Oberik’s autogun kicked hard in his grip as he fired a small burst against the figures that had appeared behind the last remaining screaming humans. Little more than dark metallic shapes in the smoke and fire, the troopers had to aim for the glowing red spots that seemed to mark them out. Glowing eyes, as it turned out, set into metallic sockets that didn’t blink or move as they began to raise sinister looking weapons held in skeletal grips. The slits beneath the eyes stayed closed, no screams of war cries echoing from those unnatural throats.
Those eyes continued to stare, even as hard rounds punched into the bodies that carried them towards Oberik and his fellows. Some, perhaps a dozen, of the figures fell from the fusilade; many more kept up a steady advance, the fire nothing more than a lead rain. But their answer wasn’t so ineffectual.
Lances of red fire blazed from each scythed weapon, boiling away stone, ferrocrete, and flesh with each shot. The screams began again, this time from the defenders. Four men were flayed alive not two meters from where Oberik stood, the atoms of their skin and bones burning away into dust and catching his fatigues with embers. As he brushed his friends and comrades off his sleeve with shaking hands, he caught sight of a figure standing atop the wreckage of a Chimera.
Tall, half again the size of a human, wielding one of those terrifying weapons and surveying the scene before it. The fires from the carnage caused by it’s warriors reflected off the dull metal of its body, the glow from it’s crimson eyes casting everything in a sheen of red sickness.
And then it looked at Oberik.
And Oberik knew that his entire world would die. It would die for a reason, it would die for a purpose, but it would die.
THIS WORLD BELONGS TO THE AMUN-SET. RESIST OR SURRENDER, THE OUTCOME WILL NOT CHANGE.
These words tore across Oberik’s mind, causing him to empty his bowels and drop to his knees, his weapon clattering away from him, forgotten. He didn’t notice most of the rest of his platoon do the same thing, almost simultaneously. And he didn’t notice the rising ozone that previewed a teleport lock. He only noticed the massive, multi-limbed monstrosities that had appeared in his midst when they began to butcher the catatonic forms of his friends and comrades. Lucky for him, he didn’t notice the one that had appeared behind him, so his final moments weren’t spent in the impotent fear that would herald his end. They were spent in wonder, watching as a blaze came to consume everything he had ever known.

Edited by FinalCookie

So here are some WIP of what I'm doing. I have done more work on the warriors as well.

Commad Barge:

20200903 232058

Lord:

20200903 232117

I'm going to get the base paint I need for the bases so should have those done over the weekend. the barge is going to be a while.

toaae good to know, it really seems like I need to add a couple new paints to my arsenal. Also good to know I wasn't too far off on Pnoabsterix after all! :lol: I really like how your collections are intertwined. Given I'm building the lore (and planetary defenses) of my Dynasty and my Blood Angels are themed to be an orbital attack force I'll likely be doing something similar (whenever I get back to actually painting red anyway *checks stars, looks at clock*).

Miek that looks excellent!! I really dig the everything about it, the NMM gold is great and the ruddy red/deep blue energy seals the deal. Can't wait to see more! :tu:

FinalCookie chilling storyline. I'm really captivated by your work there! Oh and the models look splendid of course :yes: May the Amun-Set will triumph over all their enemies!

Focslain you're making good progress and the orange is looking great. That scythe would reap a heavy toll being swung from the barge!

Valkia you're really making me reconsider switching my scheme up for the new models with how good yours are looking. Those Destroyers are gunna look so mean!

Now for the weekly update!

One more would-be Phaeron has joined our ranks, bringing us to 24 Dynasties involved. Collectively we've made 32 Vows and completed 13 of them bringing us up to 40.63% "there". In total we've now pledged 17,508 points and have completed 5,038 jumping us up to 28.78%. A nice little 5% bump thanks to toaae's Vow completion.

I seriously need to stop building stuff in all my spare time so I can get some more silver on Scythe number one! Oh man I'm really failing hard at this (simple) task that I completely set for myself. Maybe I'll set a brush next to my utensils at dinner as a reminder, paint a few minutes before having dessert :lol:

NTaW crack on sir! You can do it. Imagine all the shiny coming in October and you sat staring at your incomplete scythes... I set you the challenge of 30 minutes per day to paint :)

Something, something hypocrisy as I've managed zero necrons this week.

However, as winter is impending I've been busy building and priming:

20 squigs plus handlers

3 evocators on dracolines

1 ballista

15 Sequitors

A loonshrine

Marine half of indom, invictor, suppressors, eliminators (last week iirc)

Lord Ordinator

Rippas snarlfangs

5 fanatics

40k objective markers...

I've no shortage to be on with! Winter is coming, work (teaching) starts this week so I'll probably slow down a bit. Aiming across the next fortnight to get the vow done...

I’ve been playing with a nightbringer conversion (early days yet)

1076346_sm-Ctan%2C%20Necrons%2C%20Nightb

Finished the first vow:

Imotekh, overlord , Anrakyr the traveler and some flayed ones.

1075133_sm-.jpeg

1074163_sm-.jpeg

I’m also seeing if I can make some immortals out of the indomitus warriors. Sooner or later I’ll build them as intended!

"I’m also seeing if I can make some immortals out of the indomitus warriors. Sooner or later I’ll build them as intended!"

​... an interesting idea. Immortals are expensive and tomb blades have the guns to spare...

Edited by Stupidity

"I’m also seeing if I can make some immortals out of the indomitus warriors. Sooner or later I’ll build them as intended!"

​... an interesting idea. Immortals are expensive and tomb blades have the guns to spare...

Im just playing around at the moment. Getting the guns ready and bulking up their limbs and shoulder covers a bit. Probably need to add a bit more.

1076358_sm-.jpeg

Alright, I'm calling these guys done, as my goblin green is on it's way and who knows when it will arrive. This is my completed vow, I've had them painted for a while, but coordinating computer use from my S.O. has been a chore.

Aj9u1gn.jpg

hBOeP7M.jpg

EkQdY2H.jpg

YZn4fXr.jpg

N1H5vTs.jpg

7RmFtwo.jpg

vWyy9tC.jpg

vcN7lMe.jpg

rX2iMG6.jpg

ojNVjMn.jpg

MvNvs8D.jpg

8mnGIl8.jpg
Edited by General Strike

For my first Vow I, Mechanicus_Adept, pledge to paint half of the indomitus set (necron half). Mechanicus

1x Royal Warden

1x Overlord

20x warriors

3x scarabs 6x scarabs

for total points of 455500

This is ambitous for me as I want to redeem myself for not completing past deeds.

gallery_51734_16343_1500464.jpg

gallery_51734_16343_1715831.jpg

gallery_51734_16343_525122.jpg

update: finished priming all indomitus models. finished warriors and scarabs, royal warden and overlord

Edited by Mechanicus_Adept

General Strike, those greens are super vibrant. Looks great!

Thanks! I got super lucky trying an idea out. I did a super thinned down layer of retributor over the whole area, then did a duncan layer of flash gitz yellow over the circle parts that I wanted to really glow through, then I did two very thin layers of the new tesseract paint mixed with a tiny bit of Hexswraith Flame.

Still a work in progress, but my first pledge is progressing:

gallery_225534_16617_499391.jpg

Let's say I learned a lot about airbrushing on small models. I'm happy about the turquoise gradient in the gun, but it's way too intense in the torso and face. Next time I'll do those with a brush.

Also, that turquoise gradient looks great on very dark colors, but not that great on silver. So I'm glad overall but the next batch will be better, and I like them enough to finish then properly (highlights, details and bases are missing). I won't give them custom bases though!

Project update:

Sorry for the lack of pictures, I'll try and remember some tonight. The bases did not turn out at all what I wanted, seems I can't get the stuff on thick enough. I'm ok with it as due to another local event popping up my attention is being pulled elsewhere.

I'm still going to finish this project first.

I have 9/10 warriors done. Seems I miss counted my bases and didn't prime enough. Fixed that and just waiting for tech paint to dry over the day. I need to re-do some of the lines on the command barge, but it's coming together. I still need to figure out the control consoles. The lord is coming along, just need to add some detail to the scythe and get his head painted.

I have a hard finish date of the 17th since that is when I have to start on the next project.

Thank you for giving me a reason to finally get this idea out of my head and the box out of my pile.

01RTB01 I've already failed pretty hard at taking you up on that challenge, life has kept me away from painting a little bit but I'll get back at it. Maybe I'll start with 5 minutes a day though :laugh.: you know, ease into things.

dice4thedicegod I'm digging the Nightbringer and the Immortals look like they're coming along nicely. What wash are you using over the silver bodies of your royalty? Maybe it's the lighting or your method but my sepia and agrax washes never quite get that look.

General Strike congratulations on completing your Vow! Your Necrons look wonderfully ghoulish with that pale green worked in throughout the armour. They're gunna look great crushing your enemies once they hit the tabletop! :thumbsup: EDIT: Oh I was just entering your completion and it looks like you've painted more than your Vow by the pictures. Does "Indomitus + 10x Warriors" properly encompass your completion here?

Mechanicus_Adept welcome! The path to redemption is often arduous, but in this case it's a mere 25 models! (I say this struggling to paint two :whistling: ) I look forward to seeing your brushwork on the new Necron models.

Miek I see what you mean with the blue on the face, sort of reminds me of when Homer made his makeup gun :laugh.: I think you're right to follow through and finish the models though, at worst just imagine those Warriors are in a dark area where their guns glow brighter. Tomb world's dark in the crypts! :yes:

Focslain sounds like you're in the final stretch for your Vow, basing aside. I've had my issues in the past but it mostly revolved around me buying the thin version instead of the thick version of one of the Citadel options. :sweat:

I'll echo what others have said, there truly is some wonderful and inspiring work going on here. I really had no idea how this would pan out when I slapped this together totally and with great foresight (and help from WarriorFish for the artwork) posted this event. You all are doing absolutely excellent jobs bringing out the menacing presence these nightmare bots should rightfully portray. Well done!!

Edited by NTaW