Chapters with ties to the Thousand Sons

nusphigor

Hello guys. 
Do you know which chapters are tied to the thousand sons in any way?

I know Space Wolves because of prospero and Blood Ravens because of the rumors of Arvida and the Corvidae, but do you know if there are more?

Specially with a heavy Primaris presence?

Cheers!

Well unfortunately I believe any thousand son related marines all suffered from Ahriman's Rubicon ("I said Sorry") and it I believe works retroactively to some extent.

However you could maybe also relate White Scars with Thousand Sons since they were the other notable other who stood with Magnus during the Council of Nikea. 

So not sure what your goal is, might be best taking this over to where our Traitor Brothers reside (IE the chaos marine section of the forum).

The Dark Angels have had quite a few run ins with the Thousand Sons recently in the lore. My understanding is that the Thousand Sons tried to manipulate the Dark Angels and Space Wolves into fighting each other, but the scheme was discovered and then the Dark Angels set out for revenge. I believe the aftermath is covered in 'Ritual of the Damned' from Psychic Awakening.

In "Dark Imperium", Cawl Inferior confirms that Primaris Geneseed has been developed from all 20 Primarchs which means the lost 2 as well as the Traitors. Guilliman has given orders that only the geneseed from the loyalist Primarchs be used to actually create Primaris Marines but he suspects that Cawl has created Marines from Traitor geneseed as well on the sly.

GW have teased fans with this a bit with the "Sons of the Phoenix". This is a Primaris Chapter that is supposedly derived from Imperial Fist but definitely have at least a whiff of the Emperor's Children about them. :wink: I think this certainly justifies creating a Primaris Chapter with strong psychic tendencies that might be related to the Thousand Sons.

wbyllusquoqz.jpg

If you want to understand the links between the Thousand Sons and the Grey Knights, read the short story "Last Son of Prospero".

The Dark Angels have been the main opposition to the TS in recent lore. There was a fairly large campaign between them known as the Stygius conflict, which Lazarus fought in. They then clashed significantly again in RotD.

Crunch wise as well, the Watchers can negate psychic powers and there is a Deathwing warlord trait for denying psychic powers.

Worth considering if you wish to realistically work out your own lore are to consider

- the chapters which guarded the Eye, who would most likely have encountered Sons and son-affiliate warbands over the millennia, and may have some grudges

- the chapters most associated with the Inquisition (the red hunters, for example) who will have have fought against the Sons during its investigations of their activity (for example, in the second Ahriman book)

- those chapters closest in physical to the new location of Sortarius

It is also worth considering that the Sons won't maybe be well known even by most chapters - they were always a small force, occluded by time and the the Eye, and imperial record keeping and the nature of secrecy means that it is more likely the XV are not known rather than known. Again the Ahriman books by John French really emphasise the way the imperium (including its most learned institutions) forgets the past or encounters it only in fragments, as do Khayon's monologues in Dembski-Bowden's Black Legion books.

So it could be that individual sorcerors or the names or acts or legacies of dangerous individuals will be known to your chapter, or even just a dangerous band in blue and gold, or similar, without connecting it necessarily to a deliberately forgotten legion. This could give you a different narrative to your marines, one about discovery of a threat they were unaware of, or what it means to toe dangerous lines. Maybe the role played by a librarian or interrogator after encountering fragments of ancient Sons lore, etc, then pursuing it - for good or bad. A nice crusade story?

-

Edit: one issue with a XV-derived chapter is the flesh change. It is both problematic (how do your marines avoid the flesh change) and a great narrative source - this could be a lasting Injury equivalent in Crusade.

You could also ask your opponent if you can adapt elements of the XV rules from the heresy, or the weakest psychic brotherhood rules of the grey knights, if you wanted more of a XV-derived psychic presence in the army.

Edited by Petitioner's City

Worth considering if you wish to realistically work out your own lore are to consider

- the chapters which guarded the Eye, who would most likely have encountered Sons and son-affiliate warbands over the millennia, and may have some grudges

- the chapters most associated with the Inquisition (the red hunters, for example) who will have have fought against the Sons during its investigations of their activity (for example, in the second Ahriman book)

- those chapters closest in physical to the new location of Sortarius

It is also worth considering that the Sons won't maybe be well known even by most chapters - they were always a small force, occluded by time and the the Eye, and imperial record keeping and the nature of secrecy means that it is more likely the XV are not known rather than known. Again the Ahriman books by John French really emphasise the way the imperium (including its most learned institutions) forgets the past or encounters it only in fragments, as do Khayon's monologues in Dembski-Bowden's Black Legion books.

So it could be that individual sorcerors or the names or acts or legacies of dangerous individuals will be known to your chapter, or even just a dangerous band in blue and gold, or similar, without connecting it necessarily to a deliberately forgotten legion. This could give you a different narrative to your marines, one about discovery of a threat they were unaware of, or what it means to toe dangerous lines. Maybe the role played by a librarian or interrogator after encountering fragments of ancient Sons lore, etc, then pursuing it - for good or bad. A nice crusade story?

-

Edit: one issue with a XV-derived chapter is the flesh change. It is both problematic (how do your marines avoid the flesh change) and a great narrative source - this could be a lasting Injury equivalent in Crusade.

You could also ask your opponent if you can adapt elements of the XV rules from the heresy, or the weakest psychic brotherhood rules of the grey knights, if you wanted more of a XV-derived psychic presence in the army.

Thanks mate. A very comprehensive answer.

It got me thinking, specially this part:

The idea of the army is to battle against a friend's new Thousand Sons army, but to have thematic battles.

But what you say makes it work with any chapter of marines, not only those with a past against the sons.

That opens up so many posibilities!

thanks again!

The idea of the army is to battle against a friend's new Thousand Sons army, but to have thematic battles.

Maybe the new narrative play is the option. You could start off with your Chapter encountering the 1KSons for the first time and developing their grudges over the course of your games. If your aim is thematic games (which I think is great by the way) then how much better if you create your own story.

The idea is to use this system from the start, yes (I actually bought the journal and all XD )
I'm kinda in the mood of using my new primaris as imperial fists in these games and also add them to my mini marine army.

Let's see what happens :p

Not really on topic regarding the OP's question about Chapters with ties to the Thousand Sons, but I'll happily vouch for Crusade.

I'm currently involved in a three-way Crusade, involving Salamanders, Mephrit Necrons and Kronos Tyranids and I'm having an absolute blast.

Our narrative is basically that Hive Fleet Kronos have descended upon an imperial world and the Salamanders managed to come to the aid of the local PDF (strangely absent during the fights...) before it was too late. Unbeknownst to everyone fighting on the surface, the planet is also a tomb world of the Mephrit Dynasty, and the Necrons are now waking up amidst all the ruckus and is about to tell everyone else to get off their lawn.