Iron Hands diffirent close combat style? (fluff)

Token

I would say that in the fluff depictions I've seen, the Iron Hands aren't artists of bladework in the way that Dark Angels, Emperor's Children or Blood Angels tend to be. They're more of a piece with the Sons of Horus and Imperial Fists in that.

As far as swordsmanship goes, some of the later Horus Heresy books frequently mention Medusan Zweihanders and such.

But the wielding that's depicted doesn't suggest any fancy schools of swordsmanship. Henricos goes through several senior Sons of Horus captains, but the emphasis is on his bionic speed and power.

As far as swordsmanship goes, some of the later Horus Heresy books frequently mention Medusan Zweihanders and such.

But the wielding that's depicted doesn't suggest any fancy schools of swordsmanship. Henricos goes through several senior Sons of Horus captains, but the emphasis is on his bionic speed and power.

Wow Medusan zweihander needs to be modeled immediately in 40k.

Have you read the shorts in which they appear? Cos the description is pretty neat too, with the weapon decked out with multiple disruptor feeds and such. A very techy sword. Edited by bluntblade

I've always imagined the Iron Hands' fighting style to be focused on efficiency of movement - finding the most immediate, brutal means to a kill and executing it so that they can immediately move on to the next opponent - this is kinda informed by the fact that in Wrath of Iron they deem certain enemies too feeble to justify the waste in bolt rounds it'd take to kill them, so they switch to chainswords instead.

Have you read the shorts in which they appear? Cos the description is pretty neat too, with the weapon decked out with multiple disruptor feeds and such. A very techy sword.

Okay, this needs to go in their expanded wargear options when I get round to working on a 30k Iron Hands supplement (would forcing re-rolls of successful invulnerable saves be too much?)

I've always imagined the Iron Hands' fighting style to be focused on efficiency of movement - finding the most immediate, brutal means to a kill and executing it so that they can immediately move on to the next opponent - this is kinda informed by the fact that in Wrath of Iron they deem certain enemies too feeble to justify the waste in bolt rounds it'd take to kill them, so they switch to chainswords instead.

Have you read the shorts in which they appear? Cos the description is pretty neat too, with the weapon decked out with multiple disruptor feeds and such. A very techy sword.

Okay, this needs to go in their expanded wargear options when I get round to working on a 30k Iron Hands supplement (would forcing re-rolls of successful invulnerable saves be too much?)

Given the detail Wraight specified, and the fact that it cuts armoured Space Marines the feth in half (I don't know why there are no GIFs of Emily Blunt saying that in Looper), I think that's the right approach.

Keep them Ap3 and it’ll be balanced I reckon.

I was thinking of the following profile (for centurions, consuls & praetors)

Str: +1  AP:Type: Melee, Two-Handed, Unwieldy, Disruption Matrix

Disruption Matrix: Any successful invulnerable saves made against wounds from this weapon must be re-rolled.

This was based off the profile for the Blood Angels' Blade of Perdition, as that weapon is AP2 and causes two wounds that each need to be rolled against separately, which is *kinda* similar mathematically to the Disruption Matrix given you cause 2 Invul saves, and while the Medusan Zweihander only has the potential to cause a single wound, the re-roll does make the singe save less likely to be successful. I also feel like AP2 is important as there aren't many things with an Invul save that don't have a 2+ armour save (at least in the Legion list), and if it was AP3 the invul shenanigans would be kinda redundant as any enemy would just take the armour save instead. Assuming the loss of Master-Crafted and Deathfire roughly equates to the Disruption Matrix rule, I've also given it Unwieldy and +1 Strength, as I liked the idea of it being heavy and less about challenges.

Overall this profile shakes out as a two-handed Power Axe that forces re-rolls of successful invulnerable saves, which makes it pretty brutal against 1-Wound Terminators but less amazing in challenges, as most enemies will be striking first and anything else with Unwieldy is probably powerful enough to cause Instant Death.

Rerolling invuls is a badfeelsie but if damage is only 1D that isn’t really crazy .

Valdor's spear forces invul re-rolls so there is a precedent, but I can understand if folks might not want it outside of Special Characters - my thinking was that it was a cool way to convey an archaeotech feeling, with the Iron Hands using a rare type of disruptor emitter that can interfere with energy fields. Plus it lets them have a melee weapon that's pretty good in a certain niche (mulching terminators) but if they come up against another character from a more close combat oriented Legion they're still gonna come a cropper.