Legio Funebris

Go to solution Solved by Sword Brother Adelard,

I appreciate the suggestions. With local logistical constraints in theatre keeping clashes about 1000 points for a bit, I'm probably going to try out a bunch of these. (When I said light maniples, what I really meant was things I could bring for about 1000.)

Swapping engines with Solaria hadn't even occurred to me! Once the local Princepes are up for bigger clashes, I'm going to have to try that Solaria Dominus. I'm not exactly set on Solaria, but I think I may use them for the Hounds of Tindalos- I still need to try Audax, but with Tindalos, I like the idea of the Hounds being hard to target, but it feels equally right that the Hounds should have something big behind them, a King in Yellow. Legio Funebris, on the other hand, I think I'm going to try some different builds at larger scales and see what I like, though Venator's ad hoc squadroning seems awesome.

One question:

Does a shutdown order from a Shock weapon count as dropping the shields on a Titan for purposes of a Venator?

(I'm thinking of a Dire Wolf with a Neutron Laser Destroyer.)

• Solution

Yeah, it does. The wording is "If an enemy unit's shields are collapsed by an attack made by a Warhound Titan"

So, in this case Warhound means Dire Wolf, as the Dire Wolf counts as a Warhound, and the wide causation term in the Maniple trait means that the shields collapsing as a result of shock, is because of an attack made by the dire wolf.

I suppose it would also apply to shock Lances, but noone ever takes those.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

General Zodd provided a good basic rundown of the Maniples back on the previous page of the thread.

...and though you've given us lots of great background info on your Legio, I haven't seen anything that tells me what your preferred play style is. Do you like to sit back and annihilate with long range fire, or do you like to get up close and personal with melee weapons? Or something else?

The advice on bigger Maniple builds will hinge on your answers.

• 1 month later...

Got a game in yesterday, a 1 v 2 introducing a friend to the game, which allowed me to field a full Myrmidon along with a Warmaster against a basic Axiom and a full Lupercal with some knight support.

Best kill of the evening was the Warlord Grandfather Mastodon firing a quake shell into a pair of warhounds that caused them to crash into each other, outright wrecking one and causing critical damage to the other.  They did manage to bring down the Warlord Horned Bear, which was running up front to use dual plasma. I found using overwhelming firepower supplemented by a melee reaver quite good and loved the quake cannons.

Quake cannons were enough fun to make me consider grav weapons, though I'm also looking forward to those conversion beamers. A couple of sniper Solaria Hounds paired with more aggressive shield strippers or some fun with a venator...

The other thing is that holy :cuss:, Warmasters are brutal. You get what you pay for.

Since I can only get the one shot uploaded atm, here's the initial battle line. The Malcadors and Hellhounds are decorative, but the Medusae and Russ Incinerators represent an artillery bombardment and a macrocannon, respectively.

20230310_205226.thumb.jpg.92efdc619517406e63a93e90cfed24c0.jpg

On 1/18/2023 at 6:14 PM, schoon said:

...and though you've given us lots of great background info on your Legio, I haven't seen anything that tells me what your preferred play style is. Do you like to sit back and annihilate with long range fire, or do you like to get up close and personal with melee weapons? Or something else?

The advice on bigger Maniple builds will hinge on your answers.

That's a really good point and I spent a while thinking about that, then got distracted by Real Life ®️.

But the answer is that I'm not sure. Part of it is limited opportunities to play, but more generally, I like a mix. Like one of my favorite lists of all time was a 7th edition Blood Angels lists where I had a bunch of devastator squads paired with Death Company and Cassor The Damned.

The titans don't quite play into the roles that I'd like- I love warhounds as they play, particularly in a lupercal (and Solaria camo just strikes me as funny), but if I were going to design the Warhound, I think I'd give it a melee weapon. (Though Warhounds running around, dodging from cover to cover is really growing on me and I'm liking the potential weapons for longer ranged warhounds so as to occupy the midfield.)

One problem is that Reavers and Warbringers don't quite do it for me, ruleswise. I like the models, but the Warbringer's weapons combos don't quite sit right and the only Reaver that really hits the spot is the melta and (chain)fist.  I want to like Corsair, particularly with the ways to make temporary reaver squadrons, but I'm usually left with a bunch of engines that leave me thinking "an x could do this better." I may need to take another look at fixed volkite, grav, and the upcoming conversion beamers, though.

So what I'm hearing myself say is Warlords and Warhounds for the moment. Or something like a ferrox where the Reavers are designed to get in close, the Warhounds stay a bit further out, and there's a Warbringer to quake.

It's an Amalia Phaera from Solwyte printed at Dire Wolf size. (Full scale, it's a knight, which is why I added armor in a few places.)

I love how it came out, so here's another shot. I also have an Adepticon reveal of my own, so stand by for something big Saturday. XD

Here it is without the neutron laser tip with two other Hounds 

20230316_182243.thumb.jpg.d820adbe9b3e682c7213888ecd004b59.jpg20230316_181900.thumb.jpg.d38d3ba03eee28a5ba59499ce0ec7650.jpg