How viable is deep strike this edition ?

I’ve heard some real horror stories lately how tough it can be now to get off a strategic deep strike now with the smaller size board and coming plethora of vehicles making a comeback. How’s it working for you ?

Edited by Black Blow Fly

It depends on what you’re using it for and the mission/deployment. It’s relatively easy to screen out a backline deepstrike now, but it still takes a few units to do so and those are units that I won’t be dealing with on mid objectives.

Traditional deepstrike and charge units have a tougher time and with the rise of Custodes and terminators I’m expecting to see more than in the past once competitive events start getting going in my area again. The friends I play with locally play mostly DG/Chaos, Necrons and SM. I see a healthy amount of DS and have been experimenting with infiltrators as a potential backline unit to keep them off my objectives until turn 3 at the earliest.

I use DS as DW to keep more fragile units alive and control their positioning better than strategic reserves would. For terminators it keeps them out of the way of heavy anti tank fire, giving your own long range anti tank a turn to take out the biggest threats. I don’t own a lot of termies or melee DS myself, but that’s how I’ve seen them used against me. Wait for the contemptors and whatnot to go down then bring in those juicy saves. With the shortened # of rounds you have to be careful not to wait too long either though. The threat of a DS unit can make a large difference as well. I moved/deployed overly cautious because of a blob of blight lord terminators my opponent had in reserve and it likely cost me a win in one of my closer matches.

I started 9th first thing was to build a set of basic units that could block out reserves. Two sets of eliminators and a stalker team in the backfield fairly cheap. Midfield two units of Infiltrators and your midfield is all but blocked out. I actually prefer to leave a small kill zone open if possible in a non objective area if possible

The games I’ve played I also use these units as a deployment spot for my own reserves if my opponent is equally as cagey.