9x19 plog: updated with Veteran Assault Ints & Apothecary!

Good job on the Intercessors. Can't help but think they need swords- at least fix sword-bayonets to their bolt rifles- they're followers of Sigismund, the First Emperor's Champion, after all.

Man, Intercessors really should come with a modeling option for bayonets for their rifles.  Necrons have it, after all.

Thanks for all the kind words, brothers. I had no idea ABR = assault on black reach!

Edited by 9x19 Parabellum

Frater, I would like to do a unit of terminators for my BT army, however, I'm unimpressed with the basic Terminator kits....they aren't baroque enough for me.

I'm thinking about getting a Grey Knight kit and converting from there.  My question is, do you think the carved-in/relief aesthetics of the GK kit work for BT?

On a related note, particularly as it pertains to the presence of Inquisitorial icons that seen upon GK kits, what is the relationship between BT and the Inquisition (fluff wise). It seems they ought to go together like peanut butter and jelly. Is it a high breach of lore that BT Sword Brethren could have cross trained for a time with the inquisition (via the Deathwatch or some other less well known unit/order) long enough to be allowed to bare the "I" of the inquisition on their armor?

I have spent a lot of time recently pondering terminator conversions for my Crusade. I discounted the Grey Knight Terminator bodies because IMO they are too unique to their faction. They wouldn't look like regular suits Templar'd up, but GK suits toned down.

Mine have GK aspects however, the helmets are perfect, and the long swords are a great match visually. (Just not the one with the Inquisitorial 'I') for the bodies, I then have Deathwing Knight torsos.

Here are some of mine:

med_gallery_100735_13648_169027.jpg
Fluff wise, the relationship between the Inquisition and anyone is never simple, because the Inquisition is so amorphous. The Black Templars have a great relationship with the Ordo Xenos and the Deathwatch, and would fit in well with the Ordo Malleus, but they would absolutely despise any type of radical inquisitor who plays with things they shouldn't.
Also, there are branches of the Inquisition whose role is to monitor the Imperium, and the Black Templars not adhering to the Codex Astartes, particularly in relation to the number of Templars is sure to have attracted the ire of some puritans somewhere.

Edited by Brother Adelard

I have spent a lot of time recently pondering terminator conversions for my Crusade. I discounted the Grey Knight Terminator bodies because IMO they are too unique to their faction. They wouldn't look like regular suits Templar'd up, but GK suits toned down.

Mine have GK aspects however, the helmets are perfect, and the long swords are a great match visually. (Just not the one with the Inquisitorial 'I') for the bodies, I then have Deathwing Knight torsos.

<snip>

Fluff wise, the relationship between the Inquisition and anyone is never simple, because the Inquisition is so amorphous. The Black Templars have a great relationship with the Ordo Xenos and the Deathwatch, and would fit in well with the Ordo Malleus, but they would absolutely despise any type of radical inquisitor who plays with things they shouldn't.

Also, there are branches of the Inquisition whose role is to monitor the Imperium, and the Black Templars not adhering to the Codex Astartes, particularly in relation to the number of Templars is sure to have attracted the ire of some puritans somewhere.

They look fantastic, Adelard.  So you need a GK Termie kit, a Deathwing kit...anything else?  Where did you get the Templar-ish stormshields?  You just run the swords as "counts as thunder hammers"? 

EDIT: Holy moley. Cannot find Deathwing Knights. Anywhere.

EDIT EDIT: Ok, Deathwing Knights share the same kit as Command Squad and regular Deathwing Terminators. So yes they are available on Amazon and such.

Edited by 9x19 Parabellum

I bought 6 from eBay all built. I then had to make 4 more for the full squad.

In the end, it was easier to just buy the bits I needed from bits sellers so that I didn't end up with a load of unwanted bits. The torso fronts are Deathwing, the heads GK, as well as the arms and swords. The torso backs and legs can come from any kit, (in fact, the standard legs are best as they have less non-Templar iconography to scrape off.)

The shields are the OOP Forgeworld ones, but they are available on Shapeways these days.

The pads are a mix of the really old FW ones, and the ones from the Upgrade Sprue.

• 2 weeks later...

So to answer the question about what I've been playing and how I've been faring from the other thread, here are my games:

So my game against Custodes (1000 pts) - DEFEAT 

Primaris Chaplain

Primaris Lt with shield and neo-volkite

10 assault intercessors (1 thammer)

5 incursors

1 impulsor

1 judiciar

3 bladeguard veterans

3 eradicators

(I *think*; it was almost 5 months ago now)

The game against Sisters (1500 pts) - DEFEAT

1 captain

1 prim lt

1 prim chap

5 intercessors (stalker bolt rifles)

5 incursors

10 assault ints with thammer

3 bladeguard vets

1 bladeguard ancient

1 judiciar

3 outriders

5 hellblasters with heavy plasma rifle

3 eradicators

impulsor with dome shield

First Crusade game vs. Necrons (25 power) - DEFEAT

1 primaris chaplain

10 intercessors with autobolt rifles

1 red dread (MPI, 2x SB, IRP, OGC)

VS.

1 Overlord on CCB

20 warriors with assault variant

5 gauss immortals

Second Crusade game vs. Necrons (50 power) - VICTORY

1 Helbrecht

10 intercessors with autobolt rifles

5 incursors

1 red dread (MPI, 2x SB, IRP, OGC)

3 eradicators

10 veteran intercessors (chainswords, sgt has sword of judgment)

VS.

1 overlord on CCB

1 cryptek

20 warriors assault variant

5 immortals

monolith

What do you think the main reason for victory in the second game against the necrons was after he tabled you the first time?

The mission was Incursion - Recon Patrol from main rulebook.  This involved a single objective in each quadrant, and at least half your units had to be put into strategic reserve.   He only had 5 units (because he put so much into the Monolith), so that meant 3 of them had to go into SR, which meant only 2 units on the table (his Monolith and a Cryptek).   I had 3 units on the table, one of which was my incursors which were able to early on snag both the objective AND do the reconnoitr action.  They eventually got blown away by his Monolith, but not before they did their thing.  Then, the disjointed nature by which the reserves came onto the game (you don't know which units are going to make the 4+ roll, and you don't roll until after you've already deployed a unit that has made the roll), made it so his Warriors came in without any character support.  He yolo'd them near by Dreadnought, took me down to 4 wounds and on my turn I shot him with everything I had: 1. Double Tap Intercessors, Red Dread with Chapter Master Buff, and the unit of 10 Veteran Intercessor heavy bolt pistols that came in on turn 3.   That was 114 shots and it was literally the exact number needed to kill him in one turn.  After that, he more or less turtled with his Monolith and the babysitting Cryptek (he didn't want to lose it to Eradicators) to avoid out-of-action tests, as I think he realized he would not be able to win the game.  Helbrecht did manage a turn 5 charge against his CCB and got it down to 2 wounds before dying on my opponents T5 (but just barely). This was purely bragging rights and to keep the troops impressed.

the question is how strong was your defeat. Did you learn anything? How close did you loose?

The first game? My defeat was total. I got tabled :-(  I learned that:

-having an infiltrating unit to get on early objectives is big.  In the past, I likened incursors/infiltrators to scouts.  But 2 wounds and 3+ armor makes a big difference, along with the smokescreen keyword. I survived 2 rounds of monolith shooting with my incursors because of the -1 to hit stratagem.  (Well..the death rays, anyway. He used the particle whip against my Dreadnought because he had the range and it was much further out.  The value of these guys could not be overstated.  They changed the entire way he had to play the game.  It put early pressure on him to do something big and to have to spread out his forces, because he couldn't just let me claim that one objective turn after turn.  And he didn't want to move his Monolith to far forward because doing so would have put him out of shooting range (or LoS, or both) of the Incursors.  Which means he couldn't kill the dreadnought as fast as he wanted with the death rays + particle whip.  Which means the dreadnought hung around an extra turn to key wisdom of the ancients and allow me to destroy his warriors when they popped out of SR on turn 2.  It also meant he was out of position with the monolith and lost the 'hide-and-seek' cat and mouse game I had going on with my eradicators who were behind "obscuring" ruins.

-needed a melee character to be able to deal with his CCB. Helbrecht isn't, strictly speaking, the right tool for the job, but combined with shooting, it's enough to give him pause about just running in and massacring my chainsword infantry.