Best book for first timers?

My pick would be Spear of the Emperor by ADB. I don't think there's a better introduction to modern 40k, and while it is reasonably space marine heavy, it also features a female protagonist and touches on a vast array of themes/issues/factions.

Edited by Marshal Loss

My first 40k Black Library book was indeed the Eisenhorn series.

From there I branched out and I love most of Dan Abnett, especially his Inquisition and Gaunts Ghosts books.

I think that is a solid start.

I am also very partial towards the Night Lords series, but I think that is on the advanced level and she should ease into the setting first.

Eisenhorn is good for this, because it can also be read as a futuristic dystopian crime thriller if she is not familiar with the setting. And it is a very fine story.

If your sister is not already into Space Marines, I would not really start with them to be honest (I personally found Space Marines boring to begin with and only came onboard after I dived into the Chaos side of things).

Spear of the Emperor. Accept no alternatives. It's a solid bit-of-everything look into 40k that touches on a selection box of moments, factions and themes

People recommending Eisenhorn in AD2020 - you might as well recommend Ian Watson's Space Marine. Xenos is seriously outdated and even by Dan Abnett's standards it isn't written that well

Imperial Guard stuff is probably the best though. My reintroduction to 40K was through a Youtuber doing fan audiobooks. Guy had an accent so I listened ironically to begin with, but by the time I got to Dead Men Walking and 15 Hours I quickly changed my tune. Those are two of my favourite stories of all time now and (particularly Dead Men Walking) would be a great intro to someone unfamiliar. You've got your classic KILL ALL HUMANS oldcrons, you've got a tragic romance and you've got the Death Korps and most importantly - you have a down to earth layman character through which the utter madness of what's going on can be properly contextualized - something rarely found in Space Marine novels. That's what I'd give a new reader. 

You literally can not go wrong with Eisenhorn or the Gaunt's Ghosts novels though. I think it's the first Gaunt's Ghost novel that describes a ship being operated and you're like "golly gee, this bad guy's ship sure sounds like an awful place to be on" and then it's like "yeah, this is a standard freighter used by the 'good' guys". 

Edited by Jings

Spear of the Emperor. Accept no alternatives. It's a solid bit-of-everything look into 40k that touches on a selection box of moments, factions and themes

People recommending Eisenhorn in AD2020 - you might as well recommend Ian Watson's Space Marine. Xenos is seriously outdated and even by Dan Abnett's standards it isn't written that well

Well, just my two cents, but I actually LOVED Ian Watsons "Space Marine". Yes, it is outdated, but it is a very good book.

And I beg to differ on the quality of the writing of Eisenhorn.... however, that is of course entirely a matter of taste.

beat me to it

i'd loan space marine. mostly just to see if we could be friends

I can understand why people are suggesting Eisenhorn but I've recommended a couple of IG over that because they're completely standalone. I'm not personally a fan of the short story Gaunts Ghosts; not sure they're a great first step.

I can understand why people are recommending Spear of the Emperor (even though I didn't rate it) but i would say that's better if you know the setting first.

Edited by Rob P

Eisenhorn & Ciaphas Cain are my go-to recommendations for newcomers. Eisenhorn is good in providing the "Man vs Chaos" angle, exploring the insidiousness of corruption, while providing a very compelling point of view character in a relatable narrative framework. Cain, meanwhile, gets you places, is reasonably light reading with plenty of humor, and introduces a bunch of major factions and mechanics of the setting quite nicely. It helps that there's three omnibuses.

Frankly, I'm not a fan of the Spears as a complete newcomer recommendation, though. It's a great enough way to "catch up" to post-Rift 40k, Primaris and so forth, but I cannot imagine it being that relevant for somebody without a firm foot in the setting. It rather expects people to understand parts of the setting that an uninvolved reader will completely miss.

Other than that, the Horror and Crime imprints are geared towards general audiences as well, so those are easy to suggest.

My pick would be Spear of the Emperor by ADB. I don't think there's a better introduction to modern 40k, and while it is reasonably space marine heavy, it also features a female protagonist and touches on a vast array of themes/issues/factions.

Spear. Then they also have the back story of ADB's books to read as well.

That said, its downhill from ADB for the vast (VAST) majority of the rest of BL books...so. Go out on a high. ;p

Bloodlines. It's generic enough sci-fi without any really weird 40kisms. You literally don't need any understanding of 40k to enjoy it.

I second this. A great way to ease in someone with no idea about the setting. Then some inquisitor books.

The only thing with inquisition books is imo you can get a confusing tone. Eisenhorn books/shorts feel more like law enforcement than the absolute authority you can get from other works; you gotta pick the right inquisitor book to get the proper 40k vibe so there's no whiplash.

Go straight to the old visionary classics. The seminal canon.

Space Marine

The inquisition War

Eye of Terror

Pawns of Chaos

Trying to get someone into 40k with something more generic or too polished is like trying to introduce someone to '70s underground progressive rock music with :cusse like Rush (McNeill would do this) sometimes you just have to go straight to Henry Cow. Or Magma.

Edited by Fedor