Falling out of love with a faction?

jaxom

Unless you are 100% willing to just ignore the lore though, then as Jaxom indicated, the lore for a faction can turn you off of that faction - he indicated that was his problem. If you are deep into the lore like this is a historical game, then no, a written about (especially First Founding) Chapter can't be "your dudes" because for them to be "your dudes", you have to ignore the lore. You can't have a lore-accurate army using the wrong commander, incorrect force composition, etc.

Gederas's example of "My Dudes" is a very clear illustration of this - his 5th Company is not the lore Dark Angels 5th company. Same thing for my SW Drakeslayers - they are Krom's Great Company, but they are not the lore Drakeslayers - GW can say that the Drakeslayers were wiped out to a man or ran like cowards or hid at home/were exiled/put on lockdown by the Great Wolf, and it's totally meaningless to me, my Drakeslayers are still out doing what they want (heck, I don't even use the same structure as the GW SW Chapter). That's not me being involved in the lore though - I'm clearly not following it.

Well, to be fair, I'm trying to keep as close to the actual fluff as I can get.... Which is to say, there's not a whole lot. So uhh.... I kind of have to do my own thing because of it? :laugh.:

The change to Iron Hands lore also for example prevented me from collecting them, or reading anything further written on them. Petty? Maybe. :biggrin.:

Which change? They've had like three changes to their lore, but that's because for the longest time their lore amounted to "Dead Primarch, Incredibly Emo and Angry about it" :laugh.:

The one where they were repressing emotions and so had some weird Slaanesh lashing out experience.

When i started i was introduced to the game by a black templar player back in 3rd. he suggested dark angels because of my  play style. then i found out they could do themed armies in deathwing/ravenwing. 

Over the years i built 8 armies dabbling in things i thought looked cool.  i never fell out of love for the factions, i grew out of space and time. but more importantly  i fell out of  love of certain editions. 6th was the break point. i stopped playing 40K until 7th and even then i focused more on my classic battletech, started armies for infinity, warmachine DUST and others. i still use index 8th for epic scale play because it was so simple. however i have  fell out of love for 40K the game and the company completely with 9th. It isn't even 40K to me anymore. 

I still play 5th which i enjoy far more, and of course all the other games i play. so i may have lost some love, but i still put my minis to good use. 

I feel GW has done a very decent job in the recent years at making the tabletop reflect better the fluff behind each unit.

Wow, i don't know how long you have been playing but i feel just the opposite. the best time for lore+rules was 3rd/4th and for some armies 5th. 

If anything they have made everything so generic the only thing i see now for marines  is ultramarines that are painted blue, red, green or yellow etc..

I played in 3rd, then took a break and came back at the end of 6th edition!

3rd was most fitting to the lore imho. I was talking 8th and 9th mostly.

Well, technically Codex compliant Chapters are supposed to inspire heavily from the Ultramarines tactics, with some personal quirks. Not have vastly differing doctrines like n the Heresy :D

I find myself in a weird spot.  For the first time in almost 30 years i am no longer a Space Marine player.  I'm concerned about what GW has in store for CSM.  

Yeah I hear you. I am very unhappy with how the new SM's are shaping up, my SM journey feels like its about to end and I haven't even started yet. I liked overall how the 2nd SM dex was in 8th. Guess I will wait for the 2nd dex for 9th SM and only have it a year before 10th ed.... If custodes, CSM's and FW don't shape up and if I can't find a HH group either, then I might be leaving once again. Necrons will only have a 50/50 of keeping me around, them and DE are my fave Xenos, nothing else at the moment is holding my interest to start a different army otherwise.