Starting Nemesis Marines force, could use some help...

Azekai

Hello all, hopefully it is ok to discuss successor chapters here. I am working on a new loyalist project, a primaris based Nemesis marine army, and I would like to pick the brains of the sons of Guilliman. Right now I have just over twenty intercessors, 5 scouts, an ancient, a captain, a librarian and a couple dreadnoughts outfitted with assault cannons and heavy bolters.

I have played them in precisely one battle, and though tactical doctrine intercessors hurt, I didn’t feel like my army functioned the way I want. I would like to play brutal and fast-ish, with the influence of the tactics learned from fighting alongside the preheresy Nightlords to be evident. I really like the main ultramarine successor trait, but I am not sure about the second. Maybe I should go with stealthy as a secondary trait to mimic in midnight clad?

Are the new Melta toting marines reasonable analogs to the destroyer squads that formed the original backbone of the Nemesis chapter?

Are any of the jump equipped primaris worthwhile? Suppressors seemed very niche and inceptors seemed just ‘ok.’

Edited by Azekai

The Rapid Assault Successor Tactic might fit the bill for an aggressive, in-your-face force. It makes for a very mobile Inceptor and Eradicator-heavy list, advancing all the time without worrying about to-hit penalties. Combine with Hungry For Battle for even better movement when you advance or charge.

Also, to be clear, you cannot combine the Ultramarines Chapter Tactic with successor tactics. You have to either take Inheritors of the Primarch, which gives you Codex Discipline, OR choose any combination of two Successor Tactics.

The Rapid Assault Successor Tactic might fit the bill for an aggressive, in-your-face force. It makes for a very mobile Inceptor and Eradicator-heavy list, advancing all the time without worrying about to-hit penalties. Combine with Hungry For Battle for even better movement when you advance or charge.

Also, to be clear, you cannot combine the Ultramarines Chapter Tactic with successor tactics. You have to either take Inheritors of the Primarch, which gives you Codex Discipline, OR choose any combination of two Successor Tactics.

Oh, yikes. Thanks for setting me straight. Oof. Once again, just because battlescribe lets me do something doesn’t mean I did it right, haha.

I like the trait suggestions!

Are any of the jump equipped primaris worthwhile? Suppressors seemed very niche and inceptors seemed just ‘ok.’

Suppressors are indeed pretty niche, and likely to become even moreso in 9th since Overwatch is now a a Stratagem which means most armies can only use it once per turn anyway.

Inceptors on the other hand have worked well for me. They are fast, T5 3W with plenty of firepower to boot. The bolter version are cheap and easy to use. Work them on the flanks, shoot up lighter units and grab Objectives or secondaries. The plasma version were very good in 8th but need a Jump Pack Captain for rerolls or they will blow themselves to smithereens the first time you try to Overcharge them. A Jump Captain is fine by me since I play Blood Angels and that is very fluffy anyway but may (or may not) suit your style.

A lot also depends on whether they get the CORE keyword in the new codex next month. If they don't, the risk of overheats will just be too much to be worth taking them.

TLDR, Give Suppressors a miss and wait and see about Inceptors.

Are the new Melta toting marines reasonable analogs to the destroyer squads that formed the original backbone of the Nemesis chapter?

That's a great comparison really. Actually until we get a new codex, I would say the Eradicators + reserves (mimicking Night Lords...) would be a very good combo. I've used it in dozens of games this edition and they are always a real threat. The Destroyer squad is a good comparison too. 

Alright. Waiting on an order so I can try out some of these ideas. Hoping to knock together a couple eradicator squads to outflank via strategic reserves. That should put some hurt on the xenos that I regularly see in my sector.

Thoughts on getting a chapter master with jump pack to act as the spear tip alongside inceptors? Leaning toward combi-grav or combi-melta and a powerfist.

I may get extra-radical and see if my regular opponents are ok with me using drop pods. The fact that primaris can't is silly, and, I suspect, a ploy to get me to buy their new Impulsors instead (ain't gonna happen). I really like the visual of intercessors storming out and wreaking havoc on the foes of the Imperium.