Mini Toy's n That

Lord_Borak

Oh yeah, those look great indeed! The plasma glow in particular is a real eye catcher. Very convincing. Was there a special trick or recipe involved, or is it just a series of well-placed washes?

I'll need to get a number of other things done (kitchen, sleeping rooms...) before I can busy myself with the hobby space. It's a bit of a drag if you're limited to evening hours and weekends, so I reckon with a few more months. But I may get a game down with a lad's in two weeks or so.

Thanks guys. the praise is appreciated :D

The Plasma is mostly washes. Starting off with a mid tone blue and then progressively lighter washes, down to pure white. Then the coils are kinda reverse highlighted up with progressively darker blues? does that make sense? 

This guy explains it a LOT better than I can

@Tar Aldarion You need to get your priorities straight. Sleep before Hobby room? Shocking. :D

It totally does. I've always just highlighted the coils, like they were the actually hot parts. But the inversion makes sense, if the heat is supposed to be inside. It sure looks cool and I shall bear it in mind next time.

I know it's shamefully lacking Rock 'n roll, but I'm just not capable of more than one night <5h in a row anymore. :laugh:

• 2 weeks later...

So, I've wasted an awful lot of my time at work recently and have been pretty burnt out. However I have had 4 days off and have managed to get some Hobby time. I've got the vast majority of the Drop ship done, although It needs something on the prow and some scorch marks here n there. Then I can start work on putting things in the cargo bays!! You know, all that extra detail NO ONE will see? Yeah, that stuff. 

VciASLm.jpg
FoEa13h.jpg
gUVtCIq.jpg
gopFAts.jpg

With the release of epic, aka Legions Imperialis, and those funky new Melta weapons on those Warhounds, I went ahead and got ready for it!! They were a free file on Cults. So all credit goes to the person who created it.

FRX3gDA.jpg

I also managed to print off some random little mechanicus guys working on the damage to my Warmaster. There was supposed to be more Servitors but they failed to print properly. So for now it's just the one and his enginseer boss. 

5krC1sl.jpg

Nice! I would have seen it in the off-yellow scheme, but the regal blue-white is also nice. It looks... wealthy. Like a high-grade trading combine, and everyone wonders what sort of business might have attracted them to a dust bowl like this. Will you add some transfers and weathering?

In your experience, is maintaining a resin printer feasable for the occasional "domestic" printer? I've been flirting with a purchase for a while, and your prints don't help in suppressing the idea.

Edited by Tar Aldarion

Thanks! Yeah, part of me wanted to do a rusty, dirty yellow like my Transport fleet from Gothic but I just did not have the resilience to do yellow at the time. Green was another choice, but more of a Military green than the green of the Gothic ships. but that's a bit boring..... So it ended up being blue. I don't often paint things blue and I need to find some use for my 20 year old Hex pots of Enchanted blue :D

I don't print an awful lot. Sometimes my printer will sit idle for months and then I'll get a project (like the ship) and my printer will be printing almost 24hrs a day for a week. It tends to be the odd batch of weapons, scenery and other little bits here n there. Marine shoulder pads and the like. I rarely do whole models unless it's something that GW doesn't make (like Rogue trader Dreadnoughts!). The printers aren't that big either, I have both of those things, plus my paint station on a desk. So they wont take over your house.

I use a Voxelab Proxima 6 which was around £100 in an Amazon sale. I also, much later, picked up an Elegoo UV Washer/dryer thing which was £138 if I remember correctly. Before that I was just using a little UV light that the Mrs uses to dry her nails on. It works, don't judge. You'll also need back up FEP sheets which you can pick up for £25 for 5 (they're not cheap, but you don't need them often). 

So it's a fairly big investment to get going, but that's like anything else in this hobby.

Edited by Lord_Borak

Thanks for the insights! I've been into FDM printing for a while now, and that's great for many things. But my hobby time - as well as motivation - tends to come in phases. So it's not the investment or the space that's keeping me from sla printing, but the higher maintenance effort: it seems to be less feasable for the occasional, spontaneous printer. But sooner or later, I'll probably just give in. ^^

Edited by Tar Aldarion

• 4 months later...

Been a while!! I'd like to say I've done loads of Hobby in the last, Oh, 4 or 5 months but that would be a lie. However! I managed to start and almost complete two more Reavers this week. Just the Base, decals and names to go. Then onto the weapons.

ZWZFU6a.jpg

DtCv2C9.jpg

lZy04NR.jpg

yPolDFf.jpg

aOfNYBL.jpg

Quite happy with the way these guys are coming along. Still a few bits to neaten up (damn you close up photo's).

• 2 weeks later...

I most certainly am back! Although working on my Heresy World Eaters force as well, so my attention is somewhat split between Titanicus and them!

I've managed to finish the two Reavers. Well, I say finished. I want to add some scroll work to their knee pads once I find small enough transfers. Plus, I need to do their weapons so not completely done. 

Vera Lux
QRUfwCg.jpg
J29PQbH.jpg
OM98ibP.jpg
NmJT4rt.jpg

Ira Dei
YWSviI4.jpg
ORNrtZE.jpg
wOPwGWN.jpg
JpDfx15.jpg

• 3 months later...

Been absent for quite a while. For various reasons but hopefully they're all behind me and I can concentrate on the hobby again.

I finished off the Titans AGES ago but never got around to uploading the pictures. 

I am quite proud of these. I spent a lot of effort on this Maniple, much more than the last one. 

qD5ejgN.jpg
oWu3SxF.jpg
jT5ys7c.jpg
38883IL.jpg
JzKXWQz.jpg
7XmVQ1R.jpg
eio9zI6.jpg
4Db3mZC.jpg
Krg1TAb.jpg

Right. Thats's 11 Titans done for this lot. Onto the next Maniple!! 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...