Quick N Dirty hair painting

Indefragable

Good news: I cranked through 22 models in about 2 days.

Bad news: I have hair and basing left and I really do not like painting hair. 

Anyone have quick n' easy methods they use? I would need a variety of hair colors from black to browns to blonde. 

Start with a white base coat, and use washes to build up to the hair color you want. Since the wash mostly settles in the recesses, it has the advantage of highlighting the surface at the same time.

Did these gorillas for another game, and using washes allowed me to give a proper silverback look.

med_gallery_80588_10579_1640931.jpg

med_gallery_80588_10579_267296.jpg

With hair a lot depends on the sculpt quality. Most BA heads are nicely sculpted around the face and really poorly around the top of the head. For the nice deep sculpt: base, shade, highlight (drybrush will do). For the parts which are not sculpted enough, you have to paint the hair by hand to get good results. No other way round it I'm afraid. The good news is it's often enough to use just colours - base and highlighting one (so Averland and Sunburst for example)

EDIT:

gallery_105306_14251_59426.jpg
This one has hair practically free-handed with just 2 colours
Edited by Majkhel

Oddly enough I was working on some hair last night – so here's a WIP of some silver hair.

b.jpg

Very simple; a Skrag brown basecoat drybrushed with a mix of white, skrag brown and flash gitz yellow; then further drybrushed with a mix of white with the merest touch of skrag brown, concentrating on the top and front of the hair, and avoiding the sides and back. Takes seconds.

The nice thing about it is the versatility. You can leave it silver, or you can use various glazes/Contrast paints to develop it into other colours in one brushstroke.

Edited by apologist