New codex info

Boyadventurer

Got the new codex in hand, figured I'd share everything relevant to us.

Contrary to the rumours now, HTH remain Deathwatch only -- It specifically says on the datasheet "If this unit is from the Deathwatch chapter..."

Xenophase blade is +1S/-4AP/1D, ignores invul, so that's a nice little boost, though I would have liked 2D to match all the master crafted pswords out there now.

We can't take: Assault, Attack Bike, Bike, Devastator, Sternguard, Tactical, or Scout units.

Wording is clear DW can't have a successor chapter (just incase anyone thought to get sneaky there)

Cant upgrade a DW captain to chapter master but the other character upgrades are fine.

There's "Special Issue" bolt carbines (characters) and pistols (reivers) now, but they are like the Sternguard ones, nothing to do with SIA.

Our one chapter WT is just basically Ectoclades, so special relics.

Right now there's nothing that really covers our Vets. Can play em as company vets with regular bolters for right now I guess. None of the special DW weapons mentioned there like VV and the HTH is.

That's about it. Of special interest though is a Crusade relic that is Vortex Bolts - one shot with a bolt weapon to deal D3+3MW on a hit. It's available to all chapters but of course, we do like our extra ammo types :D

Thats about it

Nothing says we cant take Centurions, though they don't get Bolter Discipline now if that matters. It's literally everything except what I mentioned above, so Land speeder, Vanguard, Vidicators, whatever.

That said, will all this stuff be actually decent options when the DW supplement comes out? I dunno. Could be rules where only the more traditional DW stuff get our buffs or something like that, IDK.

Cant upgrade a DW captain to chapter master but the other character upgrades are fine.

Which kind of sucks. I hope that is fixed in supplement and we can promote Primaris captain to a watch master. I won't be holding my breath, though.

Just thought I ask as I have a box of them that has been sitting round for too long and my DW struggles with anti-tank at times. Will obviously wait until the Supplement comes out but it is an option worth considering. Thank you.

Seeing there are no centurion DW pads, I will be really surprised if that is an option.

I took a glance at new Codex and primaris bikers can't take any gear - yes, not even melee weapon on sergeant, despite tons of upgrade sprues out there. I suspect it's because of his slightly different pad - which is really bad omen for anything DW...

So we can take Vidicators? I have always wanted one of them to build :D

Why didn't I get another two land speaders from the conquest magazine... I am glad we get them as we should of had them from the beginning.

So we can take all the phobos units correct?

that is clutch. Any major points changes you are able to share? 

also, looking at the veteran intercessors squads, that is likely going to be the template for our intercessors squads. 3/4 attacks each is pretty huge as a base stat line. 

Edited by leth

Honestly, I didn't really pay attention to the point changes at the start of 9th, nothing looks particularly out of line though. Vet intercessors are 2 points more than reg. I hope that that's the case too, especially with firstborn going to 2w, our intercessors need to feel special.

I am a bit lost. If the new codex space marine does not provide specific stratagem, warlord traits or anything to deathwatch does that mean that we are included in this codex only for the purpose of updating models stateline and costs? Does that mean that until the new supplement drop then our old codex rules and stratagem still apply?

Otherwise that would mean that they made all the non codex compliant chapters unusable until their respectives codexes drops which for some of them can takes time?

In theory the old codex is now obsolete and anything in it. It is now a paper weight. So as I mentioned in another thread, until we get our supplement, what we are is in the new codex only and nothing else.

Edited by Black_Knight

In theory the old codex is now obsolete and anything in it. It is now a paper weight. So as I mentioned in another thread, until we get our supplement, what we are is in the new codex only and nothing else.

I believe GW mentioned a PDF that would work as a get-you-by till the supplements drop.

Yes, they did. So we will have the new codex AND the get-you-by document. The latter, by the way, will not be fully exhaustive, lest anyone see its contents and bewail the absence of anything.

So what do people think will be REALLY useful for us of the new additions? Getting access to eliminators is brilliant and i'm sure infilitrators will see some use. I can finally have a techmarine to babysit my dreadnoughts! But i'm sure there's less useful stuff like the hunter or stalker. What will you guys be planning to add to make your tournament lists better?

Again guys, it's literally everything that wasn't mentioned in my original post. https://i.imgur.com/yLse2Ur.jpg?1

Our Chapter tactic and a WT are in the codex, but that's all the chapter-specific content in the book (besides the odd thing like speeders getting Ravenwing, etc).

Also of note, the 3 intercessor strats (RF2 rifles, auto hit autos, sniper stalkers) are gone, but there's a new one Rapid Fire that lets any Int squad shoot again -- if SIA remains the same, I don't really see a point in bolt rifles any more. If we can pump out 6 shots per auto, or 2 D2 shots per stalker, that's really tight.

Edited by Boyadventurer

This pretty much sealed my new army being primaris DW, gaining all the new marine units will completely change how our lists are made. Also we get transports! And Lieutenants!

We are basically generic marines with a bunch of extra flavour, and Im really into that.

Again guys, it's literally everything that wasn't mentioned in my original post. https://i.imgur.com/yLse2Ur.jpg?1

Are you guaranteeing it's the only restriction? I still feel strangely sure the supplement will introduce additional ones, like black paint on dreadnoughts being funnily incompatible with autocannons and heavy bolters for some reason. We still know nothing about making battle-forged army according to the supplement, and the list above feels like initial suggesting, not finalized list from main course. Unless, of course, 95% of DW fluff was rewritten and Orkania had always been at war with Deathwatchasia or something.

Of course, maybe GW just reversed course after Kelly was booted from writing rules in 9th, but if so, refusal to let DW have vanguard squads (on utterly stupid and making no sense pad excuse, no less) will become epitome of pettiness and laziness all at once...

Besides not being able to upgrade to chapter master (here: https://i.imgur.com/Fq7IsPC.jpg?1), yes those are the only restrictions besides some of the chapter specific stuff on datasheets.

I agree though, like I mentioned before, I'm sure the supplement is going to bring us back to not just being another chapter. Maybe certain units lose <Core> in a DW army or something like that? Maybe the release day FAQ will alter things already? IDK those things, just reporting on whats in the one book I do have on hand.

Edited by Boyadventurer

Are you guaranteeing it's the only restriction? I still feel strangely sure the supplement will introduce additional ones, like black paint on dreadnoughts being funnily incompatible with autocannons and heavy bolters for some reason. We still know nothing about making battle-forged army according to the supplement, and the list above feels like initial suggesting, not finalized list from main course. Unless, of course, 95% of DW fluff was rewritten and Orkania had always been at war with Deathwatchasia or something.

Of course, maybe GW just reversed course after Kelly was booted from writing rules in 9th, but if so, refusal to let DW have vanguard squads (on utterly stupid and making no sense pad excuse, no less) will become epitome of pettiness and laziness all at once...

He cant guarantee anything, he just has the book.

It would be totally bizarre for there to be two sets on restrictions, I cant imagine why thered be more in the supplement. I think you need to chill a little with the doom and gloom.