9th Edition codex for Raven Guard. What do you like?

Received my copy of the new codex and bought my first box of Tactical Marines yesterday. Man those are classic but they just look so bad (the proportions are so off). I really want to field some Firstborn in my battleline and having to stand next Primaris does them even less justice.

After some thinking and playing around my bits box (trying to keep the amount of extra work minimum :rolleyes:) this is the final iteration.

Say hello to brother Tactical Marine!

med_gallery_197938_16354_238103.jpg

Also instead of using a CP on the reroll charge roll strat why not use it to give the chaplain the reroll assault warlord trait using 7 fold path.

This would be fine for friends doing beer and pretzel games but wouldn't fly in a tournament setting. It's too easy, even if you say "these are all Firstborn" for confusion to take place with how model/strats/rules synergize.

Unrelated: I won't call individuals out but I have been amused at more than one post where a fervent Firstborn supporter who at one time railed against almost any Primaris model as a horrid design, suddenly finding the models much less abhorrent now that the Firstborn have two wounds.

Back OT: I think anyone (JC) who use to be in love with the Thunderfire might want to start building a Whirlwind or two :wink:

Edited by Dracos

This would be fine for friends doing beer and pretzel games but wouldn't fly in a tournament setting. It's too easy, even if you say "these are all Firstborn" for confusion to take place with how model/strats/rules synergize.

Actually, that does fly. Basically if you put Firstborn backpacks, heads and weapons on Primaris, even GW's own tournaments are fine with it. Because its WYSIWYG

Received my copy of the new codex and bought my first box of Tactical Marines yesterday. Man those are classic but they just look so bad (the proportions are so off). I really want to field some Firstborn in my battleline and having to stand next Primaris does them even less justice.

After some thinking and playing around my bits box (trying to keep the amount of extra work minimum :rolleyes:) this is the final iteration.

Say hello to brother Tactical Marine!

med_gallery_197938_16354_238103.jpg

Also instead of using a CP on the reroll charge roll strat why not use it to give the chaplain the reroll assault warlord trait using 7 fold path.

Unrelated: I won't call individuals out but I have been amused at more than one post where a fervent Firstborn supporter who at one time railed against almost any Primaris model as a horrid design, suddenly finding the models much less abhorrent now that the Firstborn have two wounds.

Back OT: I think anyone (JC) who use to be in love with the Thunderfire might want to start building a Whirlwind or two :wink:

I have 2 Whirlwinds as well thank you.

I think the Reiver Lt. is actually probably a better choice to make use of the stratagems. No need to MoA with the Bike Chaplain and he can grant his re-roll wounds aura while denying ObSec etc. just like a full, expensive squad would. You can even deepstrike him with SftS and it doesn't matter if he makes a charge, he just has to show up in range of an enemy unit trying to contest an objective your Aggressors/Bladeguard/etc. are on.

Not sure why, but after reading the new book I feel like I'm back in 6th Edition where all we got was Stealth/Shrouded as our Chapter Tactic.

I started looking at painting Void Stalkers so I can use Successor Traits and do something interesting.

Probably just new codex/ new edition malaise.