Codex Highlights for Ultramarines

Prot

So a bit of a copy/paste here for various armies, but perhaps there are some highlights specifically for Ultramarines:

The overall shift to Core units from vehicles seems to work into any assault/infantry heavy army.

- Incursors: A very playable unit hits a little harder in CC now thanks to -1 AP knives. A fun unit, not over the top, but good in any marine army to establish immediate board presence. 

- Assault Intercessors. Very playable on Indomitus release, now even better with 2 notable codex tweaks: 1 Fight twice strat only applies to Intercessors, and 2. customizable Sarge options.

- Intercessors. Still a solid option. No real change except that since Primaris are the only valid targets for Transhuman might shift them in importance to a lot of troop selections.

- Heavy Intercessors: Honestly I don't see taking these with a lot of other Marine armies. The ability to move/shoot without penalty in Tactical Doctrine makes them a bit more flexible for Ultramarines.

- Scouts. This feels like a similar shift to the changes made to Cataphractii/Tartaros. Losing Ob/Sec is massive.

- Aggressors. Probably the first negative. A great unit for many armies (strangely for different reasons). Now this is a harder sell with the loss of all special rules. (A good target for the strat that allows them to have ALL Doctrines active though.)

- Bikers- Firstborn: An extra wound, and the buff to Heavy Bolters/Multimelta.

- Outriders: Still a good unit but I think everyone expected a change to squad size which never happened. Do Firstborn eclipse this version as a result?

- HQ/Elite Support units: Chaplains! Yes please. On a bike? Absolutely. Apothecaries! Absolutely. New tweaks plus the enhancement to infantry/core make these choices arguably even better for White Scars.

- ATV. I know this is a polarizing unit in appearance, but I think this is a solid choice for the points considering the speed, and tweaks to weapon mounts.

- Dreads/Contemptors/Redemptors: What's not to like for any army? Filling in anti-tank can be challenging for some assault based armies, but this combines the best of both worlds with the built in strat reducing damage by 1.

- Eradicators: Good out of Indomitus, now with more flexibility this unit can make a mess of anything that let's these guys get too close.

- Terminators: +1 wound is just good. Deep striking has always helped, but it just makes more sense to include them with survivability.

- Cataphractii/Tartaros: big losers here. Shockingly so, GW decided to make these playable in name only.

- Impulsors: These dropped a notch for sure. Losing several rules, and then seeing these rules largely converted to Strats is not great news here. The points drop does not really make up for this. The dome nerf to a 5++ is easily the biggest takeaway from the nerfs. I've never liked how you can shoot through these units as if they didn't exist (floating). Now Rhino's definitely seem better, but don't handle Primaris. Is it better to walk and increase your boots on the table? 

- Gladiators: I like the look of these for my Ultramarines. I could see using 1-3 as a backfield threat that allows the "core" units to get up field and do their thing. With the rerroll aura nerf, perhaps the T8 Ultra variant that can back out of CC and shoot (if needed) tips the scales a bit for UM?

- Vanguard Vets: Wow. From zero to hero here in my opinion. Strat support (HoW) storm shield tweaks, very fast, and cheap for a survivable, fast unit. This might be an auto include in my Scars going forward.

- Devastators: Grav is dead. Long live Melta! That drop pod I always used with Grav is simply replaced with Melta. A GREAT recipient of the 'receive all Doctrines' strat. I believe these are Core as well. 

Honourable Mentions:

Skilled Riders. This took a substantial nerf. 

- Hammer of Wrath.  Charging with jump pack units just got better. In engagement range, a decent sized squad can cause real damage against a super survivable target by simply equaling or beating toughness. 

- Grav Amplifcation: Gone. Start ripping those Grav arms off your devs and start gluing on MM's!

What would you guys change or add?

Notable commentary:

Honestly I think things like Eradicators look good but when you compare them with Attack Bikers they fall short.

Consider the following:

• Eradicators are slow moving and require Outflank to get close to their target or they are quite vulnerable and could quite possibly be neutralised by fire or fast moving assault troops. This will cost you Command Points.

• Attack Bikes have additional firepower from Twin Bikers which only helps, especially in the Tactical Doctrine.

• Ultramarines prefer Heavy Support to Fast Attack normally so there are circumstances and builds we will better off taking the Attack Bikes for our melta over Eradicators, or else we have to pay more CPs for additional Detachments.

• Attack Bikes can redeploy to other targets due to their movement whereas Eradicators can't very easily.

• 4 wounds vs 3 is obvious which is better.

Gladiators are 230pts? 1 seems useful but for the firepower would a Predator not be better?

Outriders do indeed seem outclassed by Firstborn Bikers. The weapons go further. They could do okay as a flank support unit but I'd suggest Attack Bikes over these.

Assault Intercessors don't really sing to me for Ultramarines without a transport. Shooting troops whilst we use other, swifter or Teleporting options for melee looks superior in my view.

Not that I believe these are literally weak choices. Rather just weaker choices compared to other options we have available.

Did... did I just read Seal of Oath correctly?

‘Until the end of the battle, the bearer has the following ability:

‘Seal of Oath (Aura): While a friendly Ultramarines Core or

Ultramarines Character unit is within 6" of the bearer, each

time a model in that unit makes an attack against an enemy

unit, you can re-roll that attack’s hit roll and you can re-roll that

attack’s wound roll.’’

attack’s wound roll.’’

Yeah I don't believe that not a mistake Edited by Lykke

Seems even more powerful. Auto-take eh.

This is FAQ based but relevant really:

Our Chapter Champion is superior to the standard which is cool. More attacks and gets to reroll hits and wounds against Characters.

Sicarius weapon changes! He's pretty good now!

attack’s wound roll.’’

What makes it an obvious mistake is that it's only changing the second sentence which means the whole "select an enemy unit" is still present. 

They just need to put a "that" before enemy unit and it should all work as it did before.

Seems even more powerful. Auto-take eh.

This is FAQ based but relevant really:

Our Chapter Champion is superior to the standard which is cool. More attacks and gets to reroll hits and wounds against Characters.

Sicarius weapon changes! He's pretty good now!

Kewl! Now he just needs a model! Kek