Canoptek Doomstalker appreciation thread

atropos_priest

So, I was pretty sure I was getting 2 of these bad boys because I'm in love with the aesthetic.

And now I find they're actually pretty huge?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Necrontyr/comments/i2vg28/any_concrete_info_about_canoptek_doomstalkers/

Can anyone comment on how their rules stacked up in the codex vs what was revealed? Are people liking them over other heavy weapon platforms?

So, just for conversation, I’ll post some negatives.

With the heavier density of terrain in 9th, you may be forced to move more often then not. Meaning you’ll be stuck using the inferior profile.

While the 4++ is nice, it lacks QS, so it may prove to be a bigger target for the bigger guns, like lascannons.

While it’s BS profile doesn’t degrade, its still only 4+. That’s not great, especially with a weapons profile that’s so swingy. While you can get it up to 3+, that requires a 100 point babysitter cryptek.

And when using that cryptek, you’re forced to keep your 2-3 Doomstalkers clumped within 6” of the cryptek for firing efficiency. Which makes it potentially easier for your opponent to counter deploy, avoid your doom blob or force you to move to get los. That is of course terrain dependent.

The other bad thing is it explodes on a 5+, doing d3 MWs to everything within 6”. Which is potentially your buff character and the additional Doomstalkers. Not to mention any screen units you’re using to protect it. It could turn it into a liability for any army that’s able to pop one or two a turn.

Which comes back to my first point. If your opponent can pop one or two a turn, that forces you to deploy out of LoS. Meaning you are losing at least one turn of full power shooting.

I like the Doomstalker. I’m just not 100% sold on it being an auto include.

I picked up 2 my self, they are much taller than I though coming in on the same base as a redemptor(90mm I think) and just under 7 inch tall!

While I don’t feel they are an auto include, I think they have a solid place. They obvious comparison is to the doomsday ark and I feel like they have a great place in lists that are heavier on Canoptek units. For example I want to try 1-2 technomancers with the stalkers, Spyders with scarabs and wraiths as a core part.

Mr4 although they don’t have QS they do have a 4++ and I feel like most of the points you mentioned would apply to most heavy weapons units.

I'm using a Deceiver and the 6" pregame move Trait myself. So I can deploy my two Stalkers and Cryptek(which I plan to use as bait if needed for Revenge) aggressively and if I got second place them defensively as needed.

Two with a technomancer with the control node seems like a solid choice. I know that's what I will be running.

The way I look at it is that I would be running a technomancer regardless so might as well tag the doomstalkers along.

I keep seeing everywhere that the BS does not degrade for them. Do they have a special rule or something that says the base 4+ to hit can't be made worse to a 5+ for any reason?

As they take wounds their BS doesn't deteriorate specifically.

Edited for clarity 

Edited by Nusquam