Relics

Miek

Now that everyone's got their hands on the new codex, I'd like to know your thoughts on the new relics.

I'm particularly fond of the Infinity arrow. It suits my Blame! theme (as a gravitational beam emitter), and when combined with the Triarch stalker's re-roll, yields a very high probability of doing a flat 6 damage to anything targetable with no invul/FNP and T8 or less if you're willing to spend a CP to re-roll your wound roll (you'd need 4 ones to miss). That's quite reliable, and requires no sacrifice (the OL is remains useful once this has been shot).

The veil obviously remains useful but with the updated night scythe rule it seems slightly less mandatory.

Anything else catches your attention?

Edit: haven't really studied the stratagems yet, but I think one of them could replace the stalker for the hit reroll.

Also, too bad mephrit's warlord trait doesn't make a character a sniper anymore. Still... Very reliable 6 damage.

Edited by Miek

Lol ya, I noticed the sniper Tachyon arrow when Indomitus dropped. The replacement strat is bad too.

Everyone seems to like the Voltaic Staff, just a very solid weapon in both melee and range. 

\

I'd argue the veil is still the best one. Doesn't it still let you teleport out of melee and shoot? That alone is great for Necrons. 

I'd argue the veil is still the best one. Doesn't it still let you teleport out of melee and shoot? That alone is great for Necrons.

Indeed. I agree, the veil remains arguably the best relic there is, and I'll certainly include it in most of my lists. The arrow is just... Sexier.

I like the voltaic staff. Put it on a CCB, mephrit trait if you’re taking Mephrit, with a Gauss cannon, and you’ve got a good all arounder that can deal with marines.

Voidreaper is another good one to pair with mephrit. The +1 S and A give you pretty much a (8th Ed) thunder hammer with no -1 to hit.

Veil is still great. Maneuverability is really important.

The Orb is also a strong contender. It gives old school RP with a +1. That +1 is hard to get. It also affects all dynasty units, so you can attempt to get a multi wound unit back more reliably.

In general I think the dynasty specific are pretty bad. Sautekh being probably the best. Basically it’s pick a unit within 3” and it can’t fight until after your entire army.

Tachyon arrow is a fun one. Unfortunately only 1 use. We’ve got the auto wound strat, which is what Id suggest using if you take it.

I like the 'return' of the Conflagrator gauntlet. Being able to fire it more than once by itself is great. Having a 'if there's a really big horde: flamer glove (clap your hands)' is icing on the cake.

Not my first choice, but for 1 CP it's a great sleeper weapon to throw on somebody

I like to play a full size squad of Lychguard with my Overlord so will likely continue playing Veil to keep them relevant. In matches where I know the enemy will come to me I'll likely try out the Orb relic since rolling for all lost models at +1 is quite rare in the book from what I've seen. For my Lokhust Lord it will always be the Voltaic Staff but my CCB when I play it will likely get the honours.

I'm quite looking forward to some of the Arcana for my group of Technomancers, definitely want to try to make a Canoptek buff unit forever advancing to keep up with the units being buffed.

Viel is def a top contender, but since I've locked myself into szarak, I've been forced to look at our relic and the more I look at it the more I appreciate it. The extended range on command protocols and the ability to benefit from both directives can be handy. At least for me, I know that I've had to completely rethink how to play necrons, and a big part for most of us is wrapping our heads around proper Command P setup and use.

I'm plotting a Novokh Turn 1 Alpha strike with a Lokhust Lord with Veil and Conquerer WL trait and a big unit of 10 sword and board Lychguard.

Should provide plenty of problems and give my Wraiths and other mean units a chance to scuttle up the board.

I really like the Conflagrator gauntlet being a pistol, so you can get stuck into combat and still burn everything.

Thanks all for your input. Thinking back, we mostly tend to play 500 pts combat patrol these days to speed up our games, so the arrow's damage is more relevant than in a 2000 pts game.

Didn't really think about the gauntlet being a pistol, which is nice.

For games bigger than 500 pts, my warlord would likely be a CCB, so no arrow but a Voltaic staff like others.

It's a bit annoying having to use a noble to get the command protocols. A combat patrol led by a DL or a cryptek would be nice. I'm probably just overestimating the importance of combat protocols (have yet to play my first game with those) but it severely restricts smaller games.

I think that's the real angle of a unit Starsteles and the Cryptek's ability to relocate them. +2 Ld is nice but spreading Command Protocols through the ranks is excellent. I think the unit of three is just less than a unit of 10 Warriors with a little bit of offensive output so not the worst investment but likely not optimal in a 500 point game.

...even though it does feel like Synapse with extra steps :lol: