My preliminary list, tactics, Strategy and hobby Necrons

Captain Idaho

I thought I'd make a topic to discuss all things Necrons for my own personal collection.

First question... what are folks doing for their Technomancers? There's only a single model and I actually prefer the Canoptek Control Node which is not what the model has, per WYSIWYG.

Now, here's my initial 2000pts list:

Lokhust Lord

• Warscythe

• Resurrection Orb

Plasmancer

Technomancer

• Canoptek Control Node

Necron Warriors × 15

Immortals ×10

Immortals ×10

Skorpekh Destroyers ×6

• 2× Hyperphase reap-blades

The Nightbringer

Canoptek Reanimator

Lokhust Heavy Destroyers ×3

• Gauss Destructors

Canoptek Doomstalker

Canoptek Doomstalker

Points = 2000pts

A solid melee bent and a bunch of units I like the theme of.

However, I'm tempted to go further in with an additional Skorpech Destroyers unit and dropping the Doomstalkers. Which would also include dropping of the Technomancer and likely a Skorpekh Lord being added.

The Lokhust Lord is there to provide Resurrection Orb support, looks good (I converted a Necron Wraith from 3 edition and quite like it). He's also a good fighter, though not quite as good as a Skorpekh Lord of course.

What do folk think of this list, at early days?

If you're going in for the Orb for use on the Skorpekh it's likely worth using the relic option for the +1. I kind of worry about the Cryptek with the Doomstalkers given that they explode on 5+.

As for the Canoptek Control Node, my bet is that's what this guy will now be advertised as carrying.

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-CA/Necron-Cryptek

That was my thoughts as well. That Cryptek doesn't quite fit the tone of many of the new ones but at least it's a model usable. A decent paint scheme (dark like the rest of my preferred scheme) will address the charring theme disparity.

Yeah I was considering the Eternity Orb as well. That way it could be utilised on a unit down to 1-2 models to hopefully bring 2 back.

(Man I'm unhappy with RP on those poor Skorpekh)

Now I've typed it out, it feels like bringing back 2 models of Skorpekh just once, just doesn't feel worth it.

Likely he'd be swapped out if that does become fully apparent (post play testing).

Not sure if you know this, but in order to take advantage of the protocols, you need a noble. Otherwise a nice list. I think we will start to see more lists that revolve around a big heavy wound soaker that will absorb hits from the doomstalkers. C'tan do this nice, but once people quickly realise they can only do so many wounds...then they will allocate hits to doomstalkers appropriately. 

I agree with NTaW points. And that the old finecast is now the control node.

What dynasty are you planning on running?

The Reanimator does give a nice buff to RP, but I think it’s overpriced for what it does. It has very little damage output. And will most likely be a large target given how effective it’s buff can be.

The plasmancer is another unit I’m not certain of.

For me, I’d probably drop both the plasmancer and Reanimator to take a couple squads of scarabs. They seem really good now. Screening and tieing up units.

I want to utilize 2-3 squads of scarabs backed by 3 tomb spiders. I think there is some utility in toughness to the new changes plus bringing a base back per turn. Not to mention, the spyders could pump out 36 shots, deny a power, and fix vehicles. The new stats on spyders could do some work, not to mention the strat that gives conoptek an extra attack and for monsters, d3 attacks. Makes for one hell of a useful roadblock, midfield dominator, etc. 

For a technomancer, I've got myself a cloaktek who actually makes up the bulk of my canoptek forces (including a subservient plasmancer, my Triarch Striders, and some converted stuff). He will probably stay my mainstay cryptek. My other current cryptek is the Archivist, who is a chronomancer. THe Archivist will stay a chronomancer, and anyone who wants to disagree with me will have to deal with it. :teehee:

WRT your list, it sounds like you're going to be going with gauss on the immortals? What weapon choices will you have with the warriors/immortals, esp as tesla is more expensive than gauss now?

It's a pretty cool list. A Chronomancer would really help those Skorpekhs both with resilience & reliability though and would probably be a better inclusion than a Plasmancer. The Reanimator is also, unfortunately, not at all worth it - you'd be better off sinking those points into more bodies.

I'm likely to use my own Dynasty... Butchers and Relentlessly Expansionist. Novokh work similar so could be the choice (Vassal Kingdom rules of course).

I do like the Scarabs strategically. Dropping the Plasmancer is an option, though the mortal wounds generation actually factors into my thoughts.

Plenty to think about.

A Chronomancer looks solid for Skorpekh Destroyers.

I could very well drop the Plasmancer one day for it.

Right pickle; if I want 2 Doomstalkers I need a Technomancer for +1 to hit to make most use out of them, really. I otherwise don't want one. Chronomancers help Skorpekh Destroyers and Plasmancers are great fun and give me more Mortal Wounds.

A nice pickle to be in eh.

WRT your list, it sounds like you're going to be going with gauss on the immortals? What weapon choices will you have with the warriors/immortals, esp as tesla is more expensive than gauss now?

Indeed, stock weapons unless otherwise stated.

Worth noting for Technomancers is that the canoptek cloak can regenerate wounds on any friendly <dynasty> models so hauling one along with your Skorpekh/Wraiths/whatever may not be the worst.