Question about squad size

space wolf

So I've started back into 40k, and I'm doing ultramarines.  I haven't played since the transport days of 5th and 6th, so needless to say, the game has changed a lot (Stratagems and warlord traits come to mind) and it looks like I won't be playing a game for a long time, as I'm building and converting every model in each squad one at a time (to give each one the attention it deserves). Enough preamble, on with the question.  I have a box of intercessors, with the new dex out, what would be best. 1 sergeant and 9 marines, or 2 sergeants in combat squads of 5? 

Welcome back brother.

2 sergeants. 

You can pick up two spare intercessors for just a couple of quid on Ebay no problem. 

To be honest I think Intercessors are phenomenal for Ultra's and you'll probably want to buy an extra set at some point anyway. 

I'm a traditionalist and I like 10 man squads, but really you want 2 x 5 man squads. 

Arguments for ten man squads include; hard to shift troops choice with ObSec. Good rate of fire whichever gun you chose.

Susceptible to blast weapons more than five man squads. 

Five man squads; can contest more objectives, extra special weapon or sergeant weapon in some cases

Can be easily* wiped off an objective. * I wanna say easierly (made up word) rather than easily or easier. You know? It's not easy, but its easier than  X but it's still not easy. 

Can be easily* wiped off an objective. * I wanna say easierly (made up word) rather than easily or easier. You know? It's not easy, but its easier than  X but it's still not easy. 

More easily is the term you're looking for, I think :teehee:

And while true that a 5-man unit is more easily shifted than a 10-man unit...two 5-man units are harder to shift than one 10-man unit, as damage won't be shared between the two.

Intercessors? The classic marines still have access to all that heavier weaponry, the Primaris are more restricted. 

They have three variants of 'bolt' 'auto' and 'stalker' bolt rifles. You can choose to give them a pistol, frag or Krak grenades and for every 5 you get a grenade launcher thrown in. 

The Sergeant if I remember the new codex correctly gets the choice of Thunder hammer (I think it's been nerfed now), Power Fist (still solid) and Chain Sword (also fairly solid and even better they're free!)

For plasma Primaris you need 'Hellblasters' mate.