Command Protocols thoughts?

01RTB01

I'm liking the idea of using Sudden Storm + a deepstriking Hexmark & Flayed One friends. Drop them down as an inexpensive backline threat, and the Hexmark can then perform actions while still getting his shots off and potentially in an ideal world give protocols to the Flayed Ones if they both survive long enough for such a thing to matter.

I’ve played one game so far. It was a 50PL game, and I brought 1 overlord and a SL. I split force and deployed both characters on one side. The other side felt very sad. With only two characters it had very little effect. Coupled with a game state that’s often not where you want it in a given turn, it felt completely unnecessary at times.

I was also playing against Ad Mech, who out shot me heavily with rules that ignored most of the terrain rules.

I know command protocols draw a lot of comparisons to SM doctrines, but I think they’re more like mediocre ad Mech canticles.

I need to play with it more, but, I’m thinking it’s not something to build around. It’s hardly reliable after t1. Possibly better off mixing dynasties to maximize buffs you know you’ll have access to the entire game.

Edited by Mr4Minutes

I need to play with it more, but, I’m thinking it’s not something to build around. It’s hardly reliable after t1. Possibly better off mixing dynasties to maximize buffs you know you’ll have access to the entire game.

Something I'm wondering with command protocols is whether building a mixed dynasty crusade force (for example, if I decide to run Sarnakh, my Naculan phaeron, and Rakszan, the exiled Prince of the Khansu, as two separate armies) negates protocols entirely or only when they are taken in one force. 

Say I run a 25 PL game of Sarnakh's troops, only as Naculan. Would they get command protocols for that gun, despite the roster as a whole being two dynasties?

Obviously if I were to run Rakszan and Sarnakh in one list I wouldn't get them, but I am curious if such a bonus would be available in smaller games.

Edited by Daimyo-Phaeron Lenoch

The amount of planning invovled, plus my feeling towards having a Destroyer Lord of some sort as my Warlord, generally makes me feel like I don't want to use these rules.

But free rules :(

So I've got a great 1st world problem to work through. I'm hoping this thread will spark some ideas for keeping a Noble as a Warlord.

Edited by Captain Idaho

It def gives me oldschool tomb king vibes. Strictly speaking, just refering to the command protocols and not the rest of the army. In terms of, it requires a lot of effort to manage and plan for little payoff. With such tiny aura bubbles and anyone but Szerakan dynasty being stuck with the cards they lay down, it is a lot more effort than marine doctrines. But I relate it to Tomb kings in the sense that in the hands of a skillful player, it could work beautifully. We just have to work harder at it. 

I really like the idea so I'll definitly try to use them, but I doubt it would be a worth the sacrifice of multiple dynasties in 2000 pts competitive matches. It's flavor.

* Eternal guardian bores me, I'll likely skip it most games;

* Sudden storm is nice;

* Vengeful stars can be useful to take out squads "camping" at an objective in a ruin, I like it;

* Hungry void is awesome, I wish I could take it more than once with a custom dynasty;

* Undying legions is also great since everything above 1W has living metal;

* Conquering tyrant is fine but I'm planning on getting fall-back & shoot by other means.

So the big winner IMHO is hungry void, followed by undying legions.

Edit: Didn't realize Eternal Guardians applied to vehicles and monsters... Not so sure anymore.

Edited by Miek