New players from the 3th edition

Meletiah

Hi guys,

I decided to return to the Warhammer 40k universe with the Ultramarines. I am a previous Dark Angel player from the 3th edition. The Indomitus box was a too good chance to start playing against. My main opponent is my son with the Necron part of the box.

For now, I only added a Redemptor Dreadnought Easy to Build to my force. For the Necron, I have buy a box of Immortal.

My main plan is to make an infrantry list for the Ultramarines, if possible mainly Primaris. The next two units is the Intercessor and the Primaris Apothecarie.

After that, I hesitate with a librarian in phobos armour (like the model) or Tigurius or both?, Primaris Hellblaster, Vanguard Veteran (Not primaris :( ) and Stormtalon Gunship.

Imo, seeing as your playing versus your son, you don't have to worry to much about semi proxy models. 

I would get the Tigurius, he is a great character and nice looking model. Just claim he is a regular librarian if you feel like it and spend that saved money somewhere else.

I personally do not see the appeal of hellblasters. Plasma was king in 4th edition when I used to play but nowadays its not the ''destroyer of all'' like it used to be in the past. May I inquire what makes you appeal to this squad? Are you looking to add some kind of devestator squad primaris style? Do you love the general look of the models or something? If you really are set on this unit, try to look on the internet if you can still find the Dark Imperium box that came before the indomitus, this force is the polar opposite of the indomitus and focusses on shooty units. This would also solve your desire to pickup some intercessors at the same time. 

If your starting point is the indomitus box then I understand you want to add some shooty units in the mix as thats the main thing the box is lacking. That said though I think in terms of allround dakka you might be better served with a easy to build redemptor dreadnought or just regular intercessor spam. You already have some eradicators which provide the anti tank your looking for. (Granted though, I have this rule of thumb that I always include 2 units with the same rule in my army lists, so 2x dedicated melee, 2x dedicated AT as otherwise its clear to your opponent he needs to whipe out squad X to cripple your army on a certain point. Which makes you feel like an craftworld Eldar player. Those playing CWE know what I mean) 

I am inclined to add a 2nd eradicator squad for the above reason, or opt for 2 ATV's instead of the 2nd squad to provide you multiple units that provide anti tank support. 

Dont underestimate the power of regular bolters, more so combined with the stratagem that lets you fire x2. Translating into 40 bolter shots with a 10 man intercessor squad. The captain reroll aura's have been nerfed but even without this its still a pretty good way to spend you CP imo. 

Thank Fracter Domus for the tips. I was thinking about the Hellblaster has a good unit, but they seem overpriced now. In the 3th edition I did have one squad of Devastator with 4 Missile launcher, Land Speeder with Melta  and a lot of plasma pistol in my assault squad to hunt big target. 

I was hoping to have a squad to target big stuff. But now, it's only Eradicator.