WD Flashpoint Articles Have Lots of Potential

ThePenitentOne

Just got my Dwarf; blazed through the next installment of Faith and Fire, and then it was on to the new Flashpoint thing they were hyping. And I've gotta say, it was a fairly strong debut. They gave us campaign rules, setting up the format for the next two Flashpoints- they'll all be linked, with each representing a one month phase in a three month arc. These rules are simple- they have to work with Open, Narrative and Matched, so you aren't getting custom missions or new strats.

But you DO get a system overview, with more detailed overviews for every planet in the system; a list of the forces involved in the fighting; three new Theatres of War and new Agendas for Crusade play, as well as art, photos and a short story. It's 21 pages of pretty solid content. 

I think this is an excellent niche for WD because it isn't game altering hard rules like mini-dexes, but it rounds out the galaxy a bit and gives you plenty of stuff to tweak. SoB and DW specific Agendas were my favourite part of the article. It's cool too that the phases art keyed to the arrival of the next Dwarf- if you were to play along with the release schedule, it would really motivate players.

Next I get to read what may very well be the last BSF mission. Pretty decent issue.

Thanks for the write up, I was quite interested in these articles. I think I will have to pick up WD 457 at least then.

Does it require the Beyond the Veil crusade mission pack to function, or are the flashpoint articles independent?

Thanks for the write up, I was quite interested in these articles. I think I will have to pick up WD 457 at least then.

Does it require the Beyond the Veil crusade mission pack to function, or are the flashpoint articles independent?

The article doesn't include actual missions, so you will need a source for those, but to my eye, the Crusade Missions from the BRB would be sufficient. I haven't picked up the Crusade mission pack yet, so I'm not sure about the interplay between the two docs.

I'll have to compare the two, hopefully will get the Crusade mission pack soon as well to evaluate that. I'll be interested to see how they work together. I like the concept of what they're doing here, been hoping to see campaign books that are a bit more of a campaign. Some lore on the systems, the planets, etc. to give some setting to take place in.

It's something the newest HH books have done a fantastic job with, get all this information on the Thramas region to build up a setting, so I'm hoping this is a good vector to see that come back into 40k some.