Possible changes in the new codex.

Gundric

My expectations are low, I mean anything beyond the additional wounds would be a bonus for me.

I don't see them fixing our HQ issues, particularly them all having DR and the appropriate toughness.

I see them nerfing our strat that increases range to not include grenades.

I see them totally removing Possessed.

I could list more, but what's the point?

I've heard from multiple sources over the last 3 months the rumors of our DR being changed. While I don't believe them, it still wouldn't surprise me if they did.

I still wish us luck that this codex addresses what DG should have.

Well first let's break down what we had.

No penalty for moving and shooting, everyone has that now.

Extended rapid fire range, pretty common now, but we still had 18" vs 12".

DR (feel no pain) seems like more and more units are getting that.

T5, again looking at new Marines they have that as well.

So what could we get that makes us unique again? T6 doubtful. Better DR, again doubtful. Better AP? Doubtful. So maybe we think outside the box. We used to be fearless, maybe we don't suffer moral/attrition penalties? Still not unique. I just don't know what we would get if anything that sets us apart from what already exist.

Again, not trying to be a Debbie downer, but I see GW focusing more on selling new stuff then helping us at all.

Well our thing is near universal FnP and reroll 1s to wound, oh and 1T. What they could do is for example instead of the 18" rapid fire range, is - 1 to ap when shooting at half range. We really need an offensive boost.

DG have potent offensive abilities, they just aren’t bolters. Grenade strat, blightlords, Daemon engines of various sorts, wormspitter shenanigans...

Come to think of it, we aren’t really slow either. My squads tend to hoof it pretty quick since they are toting around meltaguns and blight launchers and advance early and often.

Honestly I am concerned that GW will nerf what is good, while ignoring things we need/want like FnP for all characters. I am also pessimistic about the likelihood of our best units being gutted in favor of something random to keep us locked in a constant cycle of buying the hot new thing.

Yess, this is what i am worried out.

The grenade strategy being nerfed to uselessness could be a massive killer IMO

Also, i am finding deathguard are really struggling to get models on the table,

Any point increases to plague marines/terminators and it will pretty much kill deathguard, as they struggle already with killing things. Having less models on the table will not help that situation.

Its really unclear if they ment for DG & TS to be able to take CSM forgeworld units or not.

I actually suspect that they did, and the reason for the DG entry is to give you a slightly different blight drone for DG only.

The removal of termites is one thing, but the removal of all FW dreads for DG/TS seems like a huge dick move if so, as a lot of people had them built and painted for DG/TS.

And my drill just arrived, what a bunch of crap if it's no longer available to us. I am going to assume you can give the stuff listed under Chaos any legion trait. Although if that's the case, why is the drone listed twice?

And my drill just arrived, what a bunch of crap if it's no longer available to us. I am going to assume you can give the stuff listed under Chaos any legion trait. Although if that's the case, why is the drone listed twice?

The one in the deathguard section is slightly different, and more in line with the DG codex.

It does look like this is forgeworld sucking at clarifying rules.

Also necrosius has gone :/

Right, I'm rather pissed now looking at how the loyalist and traitor equivalent models get treated.

For the same price, the loyalist ones get better synergies, traits that actually work (no Helbrute keywords for the chaos dreads, one can only hope the whole helbrute name gets deleted in favor of them returning to just being chaos dreadnoughts), Angels of Death rules (whereas the chaos dreads DON'T seem to have Hateful Assault NOR Death to the False Emperor)... the traitors also lost healing abilities, special guns like soulburners and are rife with lack of quality control, :cuss the writers try to actually say that the Fellblade has a transport capacity of 25 when it is a premier battle tank. And before we even get to the DG and TS exclusion...

Boy, this thing is going to require some day 0 erratas as well as some serious redesign of DG, TS and CSM codicies to work.

With the changes to space wolves, blood angles etc becoming just a supplement, i am wondering if the new DG codex will esentially become just the same.

We will be a 9th supplement to an 8th codex, and then when CSM get updates, we will be a 9th supplement to a 9th codex.

Just as space wolves get unique units, DG will also get blight lords terminators etc, but we will also be able to take anything from CSM (apart from bezerkers etc)

With the changes to space wolves, blood angles etc becoming just a supplement, i am wondering if the new DG codex will esentially become just the same.

We will be a 9th supplement to an 8th codex, and then when CSM get updates, we will be a 9th supplement to a 9th codex.

Just as space wolves get unique units, DG will also get blight lords terminators etc, but we will also be able to take anything from CSM (apart from bezerkers etc)

We already know DG are getting a codex, not a supplement.

I have several 30k Dreads that I take in my DG army. I will be furious if they really intend to remove them from DG. We absolutely need them for our anti tank element. Even with the massive nerfs to Levi and Contemptors I still want to field them in my DG list. We already lost chaos bikers in 8th. We don't need to lose more units.

Can charge after advancing or falling back, and can advance and shoot assault no penalty. That would help drones, melee plague marines, terminators, Daemon Princes and more. Morty would love it.

That's a cool idea and I can see some synergies with units that haven't gotten played too much - for example, it would make noxious blightbringer (bell guy with the advance rules) very good since he gives your infantry a boost to their advance rolls.  Cool idea