How cool is the Crusade Content in the New Codices?

ThePenitentOne

I'm stoked about the fact that new dexes include new Crusade content, but I play neither Marines nor Necrons; I might get a dex for one of the factions I play in January if I'm really lucky, but it could be a long wait. With Covid, there isn't an opportunity to flip through a store copy to see what I can expect.

So here's the checklist:

New uses for RP?

New Crusade Relics?

New weapon Upgrades?

New Battle Honours?

New Battle Scars?

New Agendas?

Was the new content sufficient fluffy, or was it kinda like recycled rules with new names?

Last but not least, how many pages of Crusade content are we looking at?

Thanks in advance! 

I’ve got the Necron dex in hand, figure I’ll give this a go.

7 pages of content (if you don’t count the mini-index at the start of the section).

Four new agendas, one of which, Inescapable Retribution, I’m really looking forward to trying out for thematic reasons as well as character relic-stacking for no RP’s (as well as combo with a character battle trait trait to get free RP’s at the end of the battle for a certain number of XP).

There’s a destroyer requisition to turn a character into a destroyer lord of your choice, with all its old XP. There’s another one that after you beat another dynasty, you can get some XP on your warlord and you get Fresh Recruits for 0 RP. (For Requisition highlights).

Battle honors are fluffy, and if not exactly great seem to be decent (canopteks and core have an ability to change a single reanimation die to a six each time you reanimate, for example). Endless Legions is a fun battle trait as well.

Dynastic epithets are super interesting. For every three games you win with a warlord (and every three epithets you gain), you get a Noble ability, some of which include getting once-per-game free stratagems, more Necron Agendas, bonus XP, and more. There are some limitations but they don’t come into play until late in your crusade force’s history.

Weapon enhancements are again fluffy if not super powerful. There’s one that turns a gauss weapon into a baby Tesla gun, and a Tesla ability that makes Tesla proc on a 5+ within a certain range.

Battle scars bring benefits and curses. There’s a canoptek scar that gives them extra attacks, but they straight-up lose RP.

There are four relics of varying power level (but not PL). The legendary relic that just does a ridiculous level of mortal wounds, and explodes when the bearer dies. I’m really looking forward to using it (if I ever play enough crusade games).

There’s also an example crusade army.

Overall I’m quite happy with them, and can’t wait for COVID to go away to really get going with the Crusade.

If you haven't seen them already, Goonhammer have some pretty comprehensive articles on the topic:

https://www.goonhammer.com/crusade-focus-codex-space-marines/

https://www.goonhammer.com/crusade-focus-necrons/

Hope this is of use.

Dallo

Just picked up the Crusade Mission Pack, and I've seen some Codex Specific Crusade content from two dexes and a Supplement now. Tomorrow's Warcom should be DW specific Crusade, which is the one I'm looking forward to the most. Plus the first WD Flashpoint, which actually impressed the heck outta me.

And damn- I thought Crusade was good straight outta BRB.

In particular, I really like the Wolves Saga WL traits and the Unlockable Relics. Now it's not just units that level, their Traits and gear level too. Akin to mechanics in lots of RPG video games. Super cool for amping up customization.

A psyker specific Battle Scar... What a cool thing!

The Flashpoint Campaign within a campaign + the idea that we could end up with a flash point in EVERY Dwarf; that's 4 mini campaigns per year for a little over the cost of 3 PA books! They are so good, we may never need another campaign book from GW again.