DW Captain with Xenophase Blade

L30n1d4s

Stop saying its base 2 damage... you guys keep perpetuating the misinformation.  Its in the marine codex you can look at it yourself, its 1 damage, not 2.  I have no idea where the idea that its a baseline 2 damage is coming from.  It is +1s ap-4 1 damage ignores invulns.

You CAN achieve 2 damage with a warlord trait.... but that is it.

Looks like, per the latest leaks, that DW have two WL Traits that are relevant to a Captain with Xenophase Blade:

1 - Castellan of the Black Vaults -- WL can take Master-Ceafted, Adamantium Mantle, Artificier Armour, or Digital Weapons IN ADDITION TO any other Relics he has

2 - Paragon of their Chapter -- Warlord can take one of the Chapter Specific WL Traits in Codex: Space Marines (but not those only found in Supplements)

Now, if DW warlords get the ability to take two WL Traits on a single character, consider this:

-Watch Captain with Jump Pack, SS, Xenophase Blade

-Shield Eternal Relic

-Castellan of the Black Vaults WL Trait (put MCed on Xenophase Blade for Dmg 2)

-Paragon of their Chapter WL Trait (choose Salamander trait for +2S)

This gives you:

5 x S7 AP-4 Dmg2 attacks that Ignore Invuls on the charge (becomes 6 attacks at S8 if a friendly Librarian casts Might of Heroes on him)

Additionally, the Watch Captain has a 2+/4++ and 5+++ FNP in terms of durability, so he can take some hit back as well.

Looks like, per the latest leaks, that DW have two WL Traits that are relevant to a Captain with Xenophase Blade:

1 - Castellan of the Black Vaults -- WL can take Master-Crafted, Adamantium Mantle, Artificier Armour, or Digital Weapons IN ADDITION TO any other Relics he has

2 - Paragon of their Chapter -- Warlord can take one of the Chapter Specific WL Traits in Codex: Space Marines (but not those only found in Supplements)

Now, if DW warlords get the ability to take two WL Traits on a single character, consider this:

-Watch Captain with Jump Pack, SS, Xenophase Blade

-Shield Eternal Relic

-Castellan of the Black Vaults WL Trait (put MCed on Xenophase Blade for Dmg 2)

-Paragon of their Chapter WL Trait (choose Salamander trait for +2S)

This gives you:

5 x S7 AP-4 Dmg2 attacks that Ignore Invuls on the charge (becomes 6 attacks at S8 if a friendly Librarian casts Might of Heroes on him)

Additionally, the Watch Captain has a 2+/4++ and 5+++ FNP in terms of durability, so he can take some hit back as well.

Alternatively, go with MCed Xenophase Blade, Salamander +2S WL Trait and Imperium's Sword WL Trait.. that gives you 6 x S8 AP-4 Dmg2 attacks (ignoring Invuls) on the charge organically, meaning that even high Toughness/High Invul opponents are in significant danger from this Watch Captain.

Edited by L30n1d4s

How? The only thing that gives extra warlord traits I can find specifically says you can’t have two.

There's a Stratagem in every Marine Supplement to do it, and according to the leaks this one is called A Vigil Unmatched. For 1CP, after nominating a Deathwatch Character model that is not a named character to be your Warlord, you can generate one additional Warlord Trait for them from the Deathwatch Warlord Traits table. It shares the same limitations as all the other examples of this Stratagem across the Marine supplements - each trait must be unique in your army, and you can only use that Stratagem once. 

So I'm still waiting on my codex. Does the bike and terminator captain datasheets allow for xeno blade or do they forward you to an index of weapon choices? Or has anyone seen a note that allows for dw characters to choose any DW melee options?

The only data sheet I can remember that supports Xenophase blade is the Captain one - not Terminator or Biker, just the regular guy. It has a blurb that basically says if the unit is from the Deathwatch chapter, they can replace their base chainsword with a Xenophase Blade. I don't remember seeing that same info in the other two datasheets.

Looks like Thief of Secrets is now a Xenophase blade with the addition of becoming D2 vs Xenos. Not a lot of use in an all comers list, but at least theres an easy option when you know you going to be purging some xenos scum.

is it a upgrade of a power sword or xenoblade

It is an upgrade for a model equipped with a power sword, master-crafted power sword, or xenophase blade. 

Looks like Thief of Secrets is now a Xenophase blade with the addition of becoming D2 vs Xenos. Not a lot of use in an all comers list, but at least theres an easy option when you know you going to be purging some xenos scum.

is it a upgrade of a power sword or xenoblade

It is an upgrade for a model equipped with a power sword, master-crafted power sword, or xenophase blade.

Awesome i was in the middle of building a counts as Captain on a Bike, but he's actually riding a huge Salamander. I wanted to have him equipped with a xenophase blade. I want to run paragon of the chapter and the Castellon of the black vault.

Paragon of the Chapter WT selecting DA WT trait how would work?

The DA WT let you skip back the Doctrine for a unit near the captain but the DW has the ability to select the Doctrine they want each turn so there is not a determined doctrine sequence

Edited by Master Sheol

Paragon of the Chapter WT selecting DA WT trait how would work?

The DA WT let you skip back the Doctrine for a unit near the captain but the DW has the ability to select the Doctrine they want each turn so there is not a determined doctrine sequence

Seems like it would not be very useful in that case. Why pay for something when you have a better version of it?

DA trait would work like it says, not sure on the confusion but will try to explain.

If you are in dev it will do nothing essentially.

If you are in tactical it will let a unit w/ in 6" use dev doctrine instead

If you are in assault it will a unit w/ in 6"  use tact doctrine instead.

For DW since we can pick the doctrine we are in this actually does have some minor potential.  Say you give it to a tech marine, who is hanging out with your dreads/redemptor dreads/ gladiator or whatever.  Say you want to be in tactical doctrine for the majority of your army (not a leap here since thats a solid place for DW to be) you could let a unit near you still be in devastator.  Sort of like a priority doctrine strategem use, but free, would also sort of let you use it twice a turn once for free if you really wanted

That said, I think there are better choices here but its not completely useless.  Still would rather pick the space wolves, UM, or Salamanders generally I think.