1st Game with 9th Necrons

jgascoine011

Skorphek Destroyers are S5

Yeap, but 1 in 3 has a bigger weapon and you can juice them up for an extra point of strength

Yes only 1 in 3....so 1, unless you want to be more like prone to blast and coherency rules...and then he is still only S7...I personally think lynch guard are far better, better save, invun, strength, RP, synergies ..all to lose out on 1 wound and 2” movement

And S can only be increased on destroyers if you have the correct protocol at the correct time, and have a character nearby.

Destroyers can get a plasmacyte that ups their strength and attack and doesn't take up an org slot. Destroyers also get reroll 1s to hit.

Skorpek destroyers also have the strat to get -1 to wound against them.

Skorphek Destroyers are S5

Yeap, but 1 in 3 has a bigger weapon and you can juice them up for an extra point of strength
Yes only 1 in 3....so 1, unless you want to be more like prone to blast and coherency rules...and then he is still only S7...I personally think lynch guard are far better, better save, invun, strength, RP, synergies ..all to lose out on 1 wound and 2” movement

And S can only be increased on destroyers if you have the correct protocol at the correct time, and have a character nearby.

I'd rather just include a Plasmacyte instead of relying on a Protocol.

Would it be unwise to have a plasmacyte hanging around a destroyer lord or other shooty focused destroyer unit; use the cyte on the hitty destroyers and send them in and keep the cyte near the shooty ones and then get the cyte nneeaar the nitty ones next turn.

I picture a base destroyer lord with pet cyte and small squad of shooty hunting destroyers sending in their choppy destroyer "hunting dogs" while the resident mascot Chihuahua plasmacyte buffs them up.

There’s no need to be unfriendly, jgascoine011.

The risk of killing a destroyer is there, certainly. It accompanies the skorpekh and ophydian destroyers as well.

I have also entertained the idea of keeping a plasmacyte in the back to provide some countercharge potential if the destroyers are attacked. I don’t have the destroyer numbers to justify it right now, but if I ever get enough Lokhust I may trial the idea.

Would it be unwise to have a plasmacyte hanging around a destroyer lord or other shooty focused destroyer unit; use the cyte on the hitty destroyers and send them in and keep the cyte near the shooty ones and then get the cyte nneeaar the nitty ones next turn.

I picture a base destroyer lord with pet cyte and small squad of shooty hunting destroyers sending in their choppy destroyer "hunting dogs" while the resident mascot Chihuahua plasmacyte buffs them up.

It's a massive risk for sure, but when it pays off would be amazing. I don't know if I'd do it though.

Problem with the plasmacyte is that it is no longer part of the unit, so you're not going to get a ton of uses out of it.  You use it before you charge, then charge and it is out of range and will subsequently die.  It's a problem.

True, but you can pre-plan to an extent - move the Plasmacyte up and Advance if you need to, so it will be within range of the Skorpekh Destroyers if they make the charge and in range of the front Destroyers if not.

The only time I really see the plasmacyte being out of range as an issue is when you're charging out of deep strike with it, or trying to run it alongside Ophydians that start on the board (which, why would you ever start them on the board :lol: ). It has the same base movement as Skorpekh and Lokhust Destroyers, so if you're gonna make a charge with one of those units, just advance the Plasmacyte beforehand. The maximum charge you can make is 12" and it has to be within 6" to not die. It'll roll a minimum of 1" on advance, so you don't have to worry about it dying on 7 inch charges or less. Given that rolling a 1 on advances is... Well, one in six. It's not gonna be that common of an issue.