Spectrus Kill Team with Purgatus Specialization

L30n1d4s

Based on the leaks, looks like you will be able to take Spectrus Kill Team with 5 Infiltrators and 5 Eliminators.

If you then give the Kill Team the Purgatus Specialization and have the anti-HQ version of the DW "Xenos Hunters" Chapter Tactics activated, this means that all the models in the unit reroll all to Wound rolls against HQs.

This means that the 5 Eliminators hit on 2+, wound on 3+ (rerrolable) against HQs T4 and below, have AP-2, and do Dmg2 per unsaved wound (unmodified 6s to Wound also do MWs).

With a Watch Captain nearby for rerolls, against a Bike Farseer or SM Captain they will average 5 hits, 4-5 wounds, 2-3 Unsaved wounds, and 4-6 dmg inflicted (plus any lucky MWs)... basically, on average, they should kill one T4 4++ Invul HQ choice a turn.

Edited by L30n1d4s

Pretty expensive points and cost of opportunity wise for that though.  Assuming you want the coms array or the helix you are looking at 300 or 305 respectively after the +25point add on.  Cost of opportunity means to reroll all wound rolls you have to be in purgatus for your tactic, which means you aren't rerolling 1s vs anything else.  Thats pretty hefty considering most characters that this preys on are only going to cost 60-90 points.  Also with the way terrain is its not too hard to avoid snipers at present.  Your meta might be different than mine but I feel the cost to benefit of doing this would be rough to justify for me and still have a good DW list.  It is certainly an interesting thought, just unsure about practicality for DW at least.  Think if even if you are enamored by a sniper team like this I wouldn't run purgatus tactic, because the army NEEDS the rerolls vs other targets.  If you must have it I guess you could put a vigilance incarnate warlord trait guy by them, but again that just seems like a massive investment.  At least that would have the upside of being able to have them go after TEQs as well.

It’s a niche use to be sure however I worry that it is a lot of points that could accomplish similar things via more direct measures. A unit of 10 vanguard with claws is what 270?

however I definitely see it as a troop clearing unit, especially against marines. More reliable targets of opportunity as well. 

I think it will be very difficult to decide what specializations are worth taking, especially since it adds another layer of list building planning to the mix. 

quite frankly I love it. Very strategic planning focused. 

personally I plan to incorporate the Aquila, the troop one, and possibly the elite one since I expect to encounter those the most. 

Edited by leth

It’s a niche use to be sure however I worry that it is a lot of points that could accomplish similar things via more direct measures. A unit of 10 vanguard with claws is what 270?

I'm not sure how this achieves the Character hunting goal of this particular Spectrus build. 

I have spoken on my running 2 phobos teams with comms, 3 to 4 eliminators, a reiver or incursor with haywire. Supported by a Phobos captain and sometimes a phobos librarian.

Some people mention they can hide the the units who are the choice targets, they are a high cost unit and that we can do more killing fielding VVs.

I think that honestly all those reasons are only bad if the opponent knows what you're going to do and bring in your army. Which often neither of those are true unless you're play-testing.

1st point...tons of marine players still field eliminators including myself.

2nd... But with DW we get the tactics (i prefer dominatus), obsec and can add a comms guy

3rd...ok hide your characters...this whole game mostly revolves around movement and positioning. Which includes you creating penalties/risk for your opponent when makes certain decisions. Which in turn creates opportunities for you

4th...they by themselves a pretty durable unit but can now have a couple of bullet sponges with them. If theyre camping backfield and get targeted by powerful shooting you can pop trans human physiology. Oh theyre in cover? You have a 1+ save

To touch on the Dominus choice....in this edition I find more people are using elite characters for utilitarian function and they are most likely easy to kill. Also pretty much all of the vehicles/monsters in elites don't go past t7. With reroll 1s in shooting and reroll wounds they are incredibly efficient.

Edited by Debauchery101

It accomplishes it by blenderig everything between them and the target haha, 

I think it has more value now that I have seen the Phobos Captain can get SIA,

I think a lot of it will hescily depend on the amount of terrain on the table, a good amount of terrain(which is a borderline requirement for 9th games) will severely limit its effectiveness. However I definitely can see the va,he and wish to play games and be able to try it out. 

Edited by leth