Basics of Ultramarine list building...of an old guy

space wolf

So as many of you probably know, I have not played 40k for like 4 editions. I just had my first game of 9th using a friends models and it is certainly different than what I'm used to. (Strategems/chap tacts/disciplines and such is a lot to keep straight.) I just ordered the ultramarines supplement (isnt here yet) and I had a few questions. Currently I'm focusing on combat patrol, because I don't have any models anymore (starting from scratch, link in signature if interested in that), so what are some general concepts SPECIFIC TO Ultras that I should keep in mind? I wasn't overly impressed with assault intercessors, when I played them ( but again I may have been using them incorrectly, tho I kept wishing I had regular intercessors). I'm sure there are probably many general advice threads, but I'm looking for what I should keep in mind when playing with the tools ultras can bring to bare. Thank you for your patience.
Sincerely,
The OG SW Mod -THE space wolf

I think you need to look to bring a chunk of basic core troops, also, when Ultras are in tactical doctrine, we don't count movement as movement, so infantry with heavy weapons benefit really nicely from this. At combat level patrol two turns of this probably can be game winning. Also our fall back and shoot rule is a peach. You want short range high velocity firepower, so things like auto bolt rifles are perfect.

Ultras are a perennial because we do everything well. I like to field uinits that are triple threat - move, shoot and melee. I see heavy intercessors as being a staple unit. I’ll write more tomorrow in regards to my thoughts... Halloween party tonite. Edited by Black Blow Fly

To add more weight to using our chapter super doctrine. In tactical we don't count as moving, so Heavy Weapons on Infantry are good, also consider Rapid Fire bolt weapons. Your Intersessors can move up to midfield throwing out 2 AP -2 shots per guy. As BBF states they throw out anti horde firepower while moving up for the assault phase.

Tiggy is one of the best Psychers in the game, and all Ultramarine.

I'll let the others pipe in, I'm sure Ishagu, Prot, Idaho, and BBF will have plenty to type.

Good luck sir, and welcome to the best chapter.

Edited by mel_danes

I like to have lots of troops typically and like the following combination:

5x Heavy Intercessor/4x Executor Bolt Rifle + Heavy Executor Bolter

5x Heavy Intercessor/4x Executor Bolt Rifle + Heavy Executor Bolter

5x Intercessor/5x Stalker Bolt Rifle + Auxiliary Grenade Launcher + Thunder Hammer

5x Intercessor/5x Stalker Bolt Rifle + Auxiliary Grenade Launcher + Thunder Hammer

9x Infiltrator + Helix Adept (split into combat squads)

Heavy Intercessors can sit on objectives, Infiltrators create the push back zone and screen while the Intercessors are work horses.

Like Mel said Tiggy is an auto take. I like to take a second Librarian as well with our tree of psychic powers... you can smite bomb and farm CPs.

I’m starting to shy away from armor since we are seeing frightening levels of anti armor across factions and I think Ultramarines play quite well as all infantry. The repulsor has been nerfed hard and the Gladiator tanks are pricy.

Our super doctrine is units can move and count as being stationary whilst the tactical doctrine is active. Smitebomb is casting lots of smites to inflict mortal wounds... if you take Tigurius and another Librarian, Tiggy takes the standard psychic tree for Psychic Scourge while the other Librarian takes our psychic tree to cast Empiric Channeling on the former... so two Smites and Scourge plus since Tiggy is 2+ to cast he’ll get a super Smite on 9+ - so a potential for up to 12 mortal wounds between the two in one psychic phase.

Ok, so I just got the supplement...moar questions!

Strategem Fall back and re-engage: how does this work? it says "when an ultramarines unit..." but its less cp if the unit has Codex discipline chapter tactic...isnt that all ultramarines? do both benefits apply?

Point costs: where are these in this book? am i just dumb?

Ok, so I just got the supplement...moar questions!

Strategem Fall back and re-engage: how does this work? it says "when an ultramarines unit..." but its less cp if the unit has Codex discipline chapter tactic...isnt that all ultramarines? do both benefits apply?

Point costs: where are these in this book? am i just dumb?

Essentially, that strat is 1cp if you are running actual ultramarines, and 2cp if you are running a successor chapter with different chapter tactics. The base marine codex allows you to mix and match traits to create successor chapters. Honestly, as far as points are concerned, anything in print gets out of date very quickly. It's best to check online on something like battlescribe for points values.

Also, as far as the strat is concerned, when you use it on a unit, that unit can fall back and shoot at no penalty and may also still charge. It's one of our better strats for sure.

Edited by emperorpants