SoS Woes

So finally picked up War of the Spider, and I'm stoked that SoS have strats now. This post is going to get whiney in a minute, so it is very, very important to state up fornt how grateful I am for those strats.

However, I was disappointed to see that much of the material from the Dwarf dex had been omitted. Because the WD article had actually named and assigned paint schemes to the various Cadres, I had hoped that information would be reflected in WotS. Being me, I would have liked Carde specific rules, but frankly, even with no rules, those subfaction identities are important.

My fear is that SoS will go back to only being a vanilla piece of a Talons army Maintaining subfactions would allow me to have faith in their continued stand alone capacity, limited though it may be. I have no real interest in the Custodes- not that I dislike the models- their bikes are really cool looking actually. I'm just really invested in a lot of other Imperial Factions, and I'd rather use Sisters as Allies to them.

The other problem I have is that the Null Maiden Vanguard is not considered a core detachment, meaning a) it's always going to cost CP and more importantly, you can't attach an Imperial Agent. I realized this only this week while trying to build my Inquisition Crusade rosters. I so much wanted my SoS to roll with Greyfax.

Because GW hasn't given us much of a map for Codex releases, and only vague hints about anything beyond marines and Necrons and the previewed lieutenant models, we don't know when or even if the Talons are getting attention this edition. I can only hope a Talons Dex is coming and that it will continue to support SoS as a force that is at least capable of standing alone. With luck, it will expand that capacity- an HQ and Troops choice would be a small miracle.

Edited by ThePenitentOne

I own 35 Sisters of Silence models, and this is pretty my my thought too. Basically, my plan would be to run an Inquisitor Vanguard, Assassin Vanguard, and a Sisters of Silence Vanguard, in order to get the them I want.

I could significantly cut down detachments by taking a Custodes Battalion, and loading up elites with Sisters of Silence (same amount of elites in a battalion as a Vanguard), but then I have to spend a heap of points on Custodes, which will cut down on other things. 

I have not put my models on the table yet, and I've pretty much put building the army on hold as I don't know what the future looks like for the force, and it's a very large $ investment to fill out the army I'd like (60 Sisters, 6 rhinos, 4 assassins, inquisitor) I think it'd cost me enough money to buy any other army, than to finish buying the second half of the models I need for this 'force'.

After seeing the rules for Ynnari in Psychic Awakening, I was expecting just a port of the White Dwarf rules in the first place, so I was pleasantly surprised to see some strats, and they are pretty good too! I will never expect to see Cadre rules, unless they flesh out the model line (which I don't expect). I was hoping at least to see the Forge World transport given 40k rules.

My expectations are they will not change moving forward in the Talons of the Emperor book. I can't imagine they'll make any of the options troops, as that would take away from Custodian Guard. But, at the very least, I'd love to see Prosecutors get the Troops battlefield role, if nothing else. That would be the most important change to make these models playable on the table.

I guess we'll see! I just really want to say F-you to a psychic heavy army with my sisters one day!

Yeah there is seemingly a lot of disdain for SoS inside GW/FW at times, i know their FW line got cancelled to make more Custodes and i fear the same has happened in GW main too, if there was even anything planned. :/ 

Still, the recent retrospective on SoB shows they were fairly successful and im hoping that may show their cousin-army has the potential they are always writing off.

That said in the meantime ive been writing my own expansion for them, to at least include the 30k era units and other things mentioned in art or backgrounds, ill pop it up on the forum once its less riddled with my wip notes :D 

Yeah there is seemingly a lot of disdain for SoS inside GW/FW at times, i know their FW line got cancelled to make more Custodes and i fear the same has happened in GW main too, if there was even anything planned. :/ 

Still, the recent retrospective on SoB shows they were fairly successful and im hoping that may show their cousin-army has the potential they are always writing off.

That said in the meantime ive been writing my own expansion for them, to at least include the 30k era units and other things mentioned in art or backgrounds, ill pop it up on the forum once its less riddled with my wip notes :biggrin.:

Super cool- I look really forward to seeing that; the Kharon Pattern Acquisitor might just be my favourite Forgeworld kit ever. There is a fellow who converted the Acquisitor I think to 8th? Not sure if it was on B&C or Dakka. I have it book marked on my home PC- I'll link you to it when I get back home.

The Kharon was one of the first things i worked on :D  Ive tidied up the real brain fuzz so heres some WIP if people are interested :) 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lIrFb6PdHL_WG29dCCkd1Tb5suwpsCFrezf14Lfokis/edit?usp=sharing

That's Awesome- thanks for this!

Gotta buy enough stuff to earn my Morathi coin... It might end up being SoS.

As for the Acquisitor, I've never purchased a Forgeworld product yet. It's going to be my first- I already have the magnets so I can use it with and without the nose.

Im hopefully getting some Skorpius tanks for Christmas, im pretty confident i can make a decent alt pattern acquisitor out of one and they work out like 1/3 of the price of the forgeworld version. Quite a different look though! 

I feel your pain. I collected a good 60 of the ladies from ebay the course of two years and was all set to finally get to work on them. The lackluster War of the Spider content kinda deflated that enthusiam somewhat, so I've made barely any progress.

I'm still hoping we get more fleshed out things at some stage. Guess there's always the next Custodes codex...I doubt we'll get any standalone publication.