A Proposed Reanimator Buff

Acr0ssth3p0nd

So, we all know that the Reanimator is a wee bit of a let-down, in that it can’t fulfill its designated role – close-ranged backline support – without getting blown off the board in one turn from dedicated fire, which then continues to prevent it from fulfilling its role because, you know, it’s dead. It can’t easily use terrain to remove itself as a target because its reanimation beam (the main reason you’re taking a Reanimator in the first place) requires the target unit be visible to the Reanimator. Yes, you could trail a line of Warriors back behind a building, but that doesn’t fit the fictional fantasy or gameplay role of Warriors – and, frankly, it doesn’t fit the depiction of Reanimators in the gorgeous new art of them, either. So that’s not an acceptable fix – especially for a model that costs 110 points.
There’s been a number of suggested fixes, most of which have been particularly focused on durability. This broad stroke is correct, but the most common suggestions – more Wounds, higher Toughness, Quantum Shielding, changing the beam’s range and LoS requirement – still don’t encourage the player to fully lean into using the Reanimator as depicted: striding amid the backlines of ranks on ranks of Warriors, silhouetted ominously against the horizon.
So, here’s a breakdown of what a Reanimator fix looks like to me:
  • Provides little-to-no reason to hide the Reanimator behind cover
  • Encourages placing the Reanimator amid large blobs of infantry, preferably towards the back, but still close to them and visible to them
  • Is powerful enough to help justify the cost of the Reanimator, while still providing opponents options for counter-play – and the Necrons players options for counter-counter-play
  • Isn’t a stratagem or invulnerable save. I’m sick of slapping strats and ++ saves onto things as a quick fix. It’s boring and causes issues in other areas further down the line
  • Isn't just "the beam continues to work until the end of the turn when it dies," since that effectively turns the Reanimator into a disposable, one-use item - choose a unit for Reanimation boosts for turn 1, then forget about it for the rest of the game because it still won't be around to see turn 2.
Here’s what I’ve got so far. The exact wording is rough, but I think it gets the idea across.

Bolstered Nanopower: The Reanimator’s nanoscarabs surge through the bodies of the necrons, empowering their assaults and pressuring the enemy even as they stagger to their feet once more. While the Reanimator is targeting a friendly NECRONS unit of five or more models with its Nanoscarab Reanimation Beam, enemy models cannot target the Reanimator with their ranged weapons unless they are closer to the Reanimator than they are to the NECRONS unit being affected by the Beam.

The beam’s short range and visibility limitations, combined with the protection offered by the unit that the beam is effecting, encourages Necrons players to put their Reanimators smack-dab in the middle of the blob its reanimating, This powerful combination also enables easy Charge screening when used in combination with larger Warrior blobs, though the Reanimator remains viable while accompanying other units – the tradeoff being that you need to invest in larger units to maintain that protection, but Necrons like to do that anyway. Additionally, the Reanimation Prioritisation stratagem gains additional value, as switching beam targets can help prevent the Reanimator from being exposed to enemy fire as its original target unit dwindles to below five models.

As I see it, this change (or something similar) easily makes the Reanimator worth 110 points (if not more), and very functional within the gameplay niche GW was aiming for it to fill. If necessary, a small but substantial buff would be to reduce the number of models needed to fill this screening effect down to three, but I fear that may be pushing it too far. Either way, I would prefer to see a buff like this that may require a points raise but encourages use as a eye-catching model and provides interesting gameplay choices, over a simple points-drop.