Crusade Army

Thornoo1

Hi all,

Seeking some advice.

I sat 8th ed out and our gaming group is about to launch a crusade campaign starting at 50 power rating. We've dropped the old school points  and moved to power level just to streamline play so we get all the toys in our units (also got some green players who dont want to agonise over every little piece of equipment). So I am seeking some game play advice on DG (totally realise a new codex is coming but realistically we probably wont play that for at least 3 months).

I'd like your views on how to use CPs, can someone explain how to get the best out of my blight grenades, likely only to have 3 or 6CPs as we're playing at patrol and incursion level games. Should I hold my CPs purely for defensive buffs, if so how should I spend if that is the case?

I know what 3 lists will look like, 22 salamander terminators, 4 Leman Rus mech list, 20 Custodians

Here's what I'm thinking of running

The Pox Mongers (spending 4 requisition points for 2 relics and 2 traits)

HQ

Prince with wings, axe, suppurating plate, Putrescent Vitality mainly to get to Str8, Sangous Flux to assist with all of the heavy infantry I'm facing

Malignant Plague Caster, Ironclot Furnace to give Daemon Engines 4++, Miasma of Pestilence, Blades of Putrefaction, so a buff and debuff spell

Troops

10 PM, plasma and power fist on champ, 2 blight launchers, 2 flails, just going to walk these up the middle with cover from my 2 Myphitic blight haulers, buffed by my Caster and sometimes use a CP where required.  I had this unit at 5 in a rhino but I think the 10 man on foot is more useful

10 cultists, grabbing objectives, I stayed away from pox walkers just cause they are so slow, but I see a lot of folk use them

Elite

5 Blightlord Terminators, all with combi-melta and axe, mainly going to teleport mid field turn 1 or 2 to assassinate a high value target, I'll fly my DP up to them for the reroll

Fast

1 possessed, cause I had 1 power point left and these things are fast which is good for some objectives, its a throw away unit really

2 Myphitic blight haulers cause they're cheap and provide cover plus can be buffed to 4++, they also provide the little long range shooting this list has, occasionally  might throw a heap CP at them from the Pox Mongers strat

I dont think the pox mongers detachment rules will help you much. I also feel that this is in no way a counter to what you said the others are fielding...

A note on crusades...the 2 ive done...we had some guidelines. nobody would field named characters in the first few rounds, start with at least a patrol detachment of compulsory choices and never have more elites than troops in power level.

If people are just starting the crusade with those types of lists then don't expect many to complete it and/or enjoy it.

We had custodes and harlequins in one...they didn't have full mono faction lists until the 3rd or 4th round...elite armies and units are exponentially advantageous in the smaller games using power level...crusades is supposed to be more thematic, narrative with progression...when do 20 custodes, 22 terminators or 4 ancient space wolf dreads become the first combat deployment? I'm sure some scouts, inquisitor, imperial guards, etc had to get their butts kicked before s full on deployment of rare and powerful warriors

Edited by Debauchery101

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this will be competitive at all, but is what I’m thinking of bringing to our groups crusade campaign

I expect it will require an update after the new Dex drops

++ Patrol Detachment 0CP (Chaos - Death Guard) [50 PL, 1,012pts, ] ++

+ HQ +

Lord of Contagion [6 PL, 120pts, -1CP]: 4. Hulking Physique, Harbinger of Nurgle, Plaguereaper, The Suppurating Plate, Warlord

+ Troops +

Plague Marines [8 PL, 156pts]

. Plague Champion: Blight Grenades, Krak grenades, Plague knife, Plasma gun

. 4x Plague Marine w/ boltgun: 4x Blight Grenades, 4x Boltgun, 4x Krak Grenades, 4x Plague knife

. Plague Marine w/ special weapon: Blight Grenades, Blight launcher, Krak grenades, Plague knife

. Plague Marine w/ special weapon: Blight Grenades, Blight launcher, Krak grenades, Plague knife

Plague Marines [8 PL, 156pts]

. Plague Champion: Blight Grenades, Krak grenades, Plague knife, Plasma gun

. 4x Plague Marine w/ boltgun: 4x Blight Grenades, 4x Boltgun, 4x Krak Grenades, 4x Plague knife

Poxwalkers [3 PL, 70pts]

. 10x Poxwalker: 10x Improvised weapon

+ Elites +

Biologus Putrifier [4 PL, 65pts, -1CP]: 6. Arch-Contaminator, Hyper blight grenades, Injector pistol, Krak grenades, Plague knife, Plaguechosen

Blightlord Terminators [11 PL, 229pts]

. Blightlord Champion: Bubotic Axe, Combi-bolter

. Blightlord Terminator: Flail of Corruption

. Blightlord Terminator: Bubotic Axe, Reaper autocannon

. Blightlord Terminator: Bubotic Axe, Combi-bolter

. Blightlord Terminator: Bubotic Axe, Combi-bolter

+ Fast Attack +

Chaos Spawn [2 PL, 46pts, -1CP]: Contaminated Monstrosity

. Chaos Spawn: Hideous mutations

. Chaos Spawn: Hideous mutations

+ Heavy Support +

Plagueburst Crawler [8 PL, 170pts]: 2x Plaguespitter, Heavy slugger, Plagueburst Mortar

++ Total: [50 PL, 1,012pts] ++